NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #303 of 974

I would love to hear some impressions for the TH610, especially a comparison with the D2000. My D2000 arrived tonight, but its left channel died after couple of minutes :frowning2: I've tried to wiggle/straighten the cable, but I think the problem is with the driver. I've managed to made them produce sound in the left channel after some time but they cut off after a few minutes again. So tomorrow I'm returning them :frowning2:. Still, during the short time I was able to listen I quite like their sound. Is TH610 sound signature close to theirs? Would you say that they are V-shaped? I intend to
buy them as soon as I get my refund and my salary for October :)  www.hifisound.de will have them in stock in mid October which is a great timing for me. You've mentioned that a friend of yours
got their TH610 from www.hifisound.de - any negative experiences with that purchase?

He's got them from hifisound in person since he lives closeby and bought from them before, but I'd assume they'll deal with it well over the internet as well.

As for comparisons, I would say the main word to use when comparing to either of my Denons would be full - the sound feels more thick and impactful, which surprised me because at the same time, I find that they provide better detail for background bits in the music and present a more whole image. This is most likely the walnut's doing, as that is very much what it's known to do, thickening and smoothening the sound.
The improvement in detail, I'll attribute to the newer driver and magnet revisions. What I find particularly positive is that, while they provide said up in detail, the more full-bodied sound actually makes them less fatiguing on treble focused music for me, which is very nice. Good choice on the wood, considering what concerns people voiced with the original TH-600.

As for how much of it actually is the wood, I might just be able to give that a little test in the coming days as I've gotten my first prototype for replacement cups in the mail today, that being made from teak - teak is still a smooth, hard and pretty oily wood, but it's not quite as reputed for full-bodied and 'eathy' sound as walnut (don't crucify me for the odd term, am simply going by the terminology I caught when reading up on tonewoods :p).

Very excited to see how that'll go.

Below, unstained, unoiled, unlacquered and generally unfinished first prototypes, mostly based on the TH-600 cup, but with a few tweaks.

Input appreciated, although I think I roughly know where I'll be going for the next revision's tweaks.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #304 of 974
  Has anyonece had a chance to compare these cans with Sony Z7?

My TH-610's just arrived yesterday. Initial impressions, it surprised me how similar these phones sound.  

The build quality and comfort are both great. The Sony's have super cushy pads, the Fostex aren't quite as soft, but are still extremely comfortable with good seals on both. Both are very pretty phones with excellent materials. 
The sound
Both are extremely musical..really drawing me into the music.  Tonal balance seems to me very close, they are darkish tonally, with great and deep bass and slam.  

The TH-610s have to my ears just slightly more forward mid-range and treble.  I will have to listen more because it is close, but switching between the 2 I hear it.   I do not think 1 phone is clearly superior to the other, but I am liking the TH-610 slightly more forward midrange/treble. 

I also like that (as I understand it) I can order a relatively cheap balanced cable (from the HD650 collection) with a 4 pin XLR termination instead of having to get one custom made for the Z7.

In the Am I Nuts Catagory:   I owned the TH-X00 briefly and did not like them.  They seemed to have, like the TH-610, a bass emphasis, but on the TH-X00 it bled into the upper Mid/Bass.  It really sounded pronounced to me, not an accurate sound.   I do not see reference to this in most of the TH-X00 reviews, but also do not find fault in this area with the TH-610.  The D-shaped pads on the TH-x00 were also for me less comfortable..but not a deal breaker.  Perhaps the pads made the bass boost in the X00 too much on my head. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #305 of 974
Wow thanks a lot @Ggroch ! I was choosing between these two and that really helps me make my decision. Did you mod the Z7? I heard modded Z7 has a more refined bass and overall performance. I also want to know where TH610 is made. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #306 of 974
So far, the TH610 seems to be a bit of an enigma to me.

If the HiFiNews measurements are accurate, they should have pretty weak bass and a noticeable suckout in the lower treble, but no one who has heard them and posted here has mentioned any problems in those areas.

Maybe this is another one of those headphones that doesn't actually sound anything like their measurements would indicate.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #307 of 974
Did someone compare the TH-610 with the TH-X00? If so, what are the differences sound-wise, if any?

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #308 of 974
  So far, the TH610 seems to be a bit of an enigma to me.

If the HiFiNews measurements are accurate, they should have pretty weak bass and a noticeable suckout in the lower treble, but no one who has heard them and posted here has mentioned any problems in those areas.

Maybe this is another one of those headphones that doesn't actually sound anything like their measurements would indicate.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, those measurements seem far removed from reality from my experience - maybe it's something with their rig? What do their measurements for other models look like?

As for my own impressions compared to the D2000/D5000s I own, see here.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #309 of 974
Yeah, those measurements seem far removed from reality from my experience - maybe it's something with their rig? What do their measurements for other models look like?

As for my own impressions compared to the D2000/D5000s I own, see here.

TH900 mk1

Nighthawk

Sennheiser 800S

Beyerdynamic T1G2

LCD 3 (2014 version)

NOTE: Top graph(s) are all uncompensated

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #312 of 974

rolleyes.gif

i think they may be quite accurate, in those areas that you mentioned

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #314 of 974
  It is made in China. Workmanship and materials seem exceptional (in a good way).

This is something that is a big concern of mine - especially now that Massdrop had to refund all remaining  TH-x00 order (and even throw in an additional $100 credit - kudos to them for doing this)
Quotes like this are quite troubling:
While preparing the remaining packages we decided to ask our warehouse to open 25 units for one final inspection to confirm that these were free from any QC issues. Upon inspection, all units were found to have pack marks, residual glue, or scratches. Some had a combination of the three.

And after all the TH-610 are produced on the same assembly line...

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #315 of 974
  This is something that is a big concern of mine - especially now that Massdrop had to refund all remaining  TH-x00 order....And after all the TH-610 are produced on the same assembly line...

That is a concern.   My TH-610 seems flawless.   I have not been following the TH-x00 thread but I do not recall any significant concerns in the first few releases.   The photos of the latest TH-x00 release are certainly a mess. 

I got one of the first 200 TH-x00s and it was flawless too, so it is not like the factory cannot build to high standards. The issue would seem to be quality control not manufacturing capability.  I would guess the TH-x00 series sells on the order of 50-100 times the quantity of any other Fostex high end phone. (My 610 is #00105).   It appears that Massdrop was responsible (at least in this case) for final QC.  

This new information would make me certainly order from a trustworthy dealer with a good return policy, it would not cause me to hesitate purchasing the 610 phones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back