New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
May 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #406 of 583

Agreed with all the above and it sparks a little interest again.

Besides the Fostex brand the looks on this one is really attractive. Just beautiful and having owned the TH-600 I'm expecting the same comfort level and build quality. At the same time, by just reading Steve Guttenberg's words it's supposed to be a good bit warmer sounding than for example the HE-560. I was fortunate enough to audition the HiFiMAN hooked up to a Schiit Lyr and my Yulong D200 DAC and while really enjoyable, I don't think I'd want it any more romantic than that. This plus impressions in here is what's holding me back. 

The TH500's are a warmer sounding headphone. Not quite as warm as the PM-2's which I heard a while ago, but I imagine fans of the HE-560 / HD800 sound would find them too warm.
I know it is not always easy but you have to try them to see if they suit your setup and music. I love finding pleasant surprises with headphones.

May 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #408 of 583
How do these actually sound?

It seems the people who post impressions don't go into detail very well..How is the bass? Linear? Mid bass hump? Mids? Are they romantic? Dry? Thin? Liquid smooth? Do vocals soubd seductive? Treble? Extended? Rolled off and dark? Grainy? Is airy?

How do they compare to the HE-500 and LCD-2?

I went to Singapore just las month and I had a chance to spend 2 hours auditioning TH900 - TH500RP - HD800 - SRH1540 - SRH1840 - LCD-2 and the rest of Audeze line up. 

The HD800 is no longer the king.

The TH500RP does not worth the $1000 price tag (I would buy it if it was priced at $500 - $600 AUD). To be honest, I was pretty hyped up by the TH500RP but it turned out to be a huge disappointment.

The TH900 was good but just like the HD800, it is no longer the king of close-back headphone.

The Shure line was good too but they do not offer much in comparison to HD600/650 and some other close back headphone within $600 price range.

Within the Audeze line up, the LCD-2 was the most impressive - fun sounding - terrific resolution etc (I won't go to much details) and absolutely worth every penny. LCD-2 is a huge step up from the HE-500. I still remember the tingling feeling when I first heard HE-500 and the LCD-2 did just that with 200% in every department. It was a worthy upgrade.

In the end, the LCD-2 triumph the HD800 and TH900 in every level within that price range of $1500 AUD.

May 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #409 of 583
  I went to Singapore just las month and I had a chance to spend 2 hours auditioning TH900 - TH500RP - HD800 - SRH1540 - SRH1840 - LCD-2 and the rest of Audeze line up. 

The HD800 is no longer the king.

The TH500RP does not worth the $1000 price tag (I would buy it if it was priced at $500 - $600 AUD). To be honest, I was pretty hyped up by the TH500RP but it turned out to be a huge disappointment.

The TH900 was good but just like the HD800, it is no longer the king of close-back headphone.

The Shure line was good too but they do not offer much in comparison to HD600/650 and some other close back headphone within $600 price range.

Within the Audeze line up, the LCD-2 was the most impressive - fun sounding - terrific resolution etc (I won't go to much details) and absolutely worth every penny. LCD-2 is a huge step up from the HE-500. I still remember the tingling feeling when I first heard HE-500 and the LCD-2 did just that with 200% in every department. It was a worthy upgrade.

In the end, the LCD-2 triumph the HD800 and TH900 in every level within that price range of $1500 AUD.

You speak in absolute term, but it really depends on what your preference is in the first place. I have the HD800, K812, HE500 and LCD2.2, each has its strengths and weaknesses, I can't say absolutely that the HD800 is trumped by the LCD2.2 or K812.....neither can I say the HD800 trumps the LCD2.2 and K812 across the board and such. Each can be appreciated for what they bring to the table.....btw, where did you go to try the cans? Jaben? E1? ConnectIT? Stereo?

May 18, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #410 of 583
Thank you for the pics @HiFiGuy528.

Do you think other pads will fit, or do they have to share the same Fostx / Denon DNA and have the same mounting mechanisms?

I have a bunch of HifiMan pads which I would consider trying.

Cheers.

May 18, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #411 of 583
  You speak in absolute term, but it really depends on what your preference is in the first place. I have the HD800, K812, HE500 and LCD2.2, each has its strengths and weaknesses, I can't say absolutely that the HD800 is trumped by the LCD2.2 or K812.....neither can I say the HD800 trumps the LCD2.2 and K812 across the board and such. Each can be appreciated for what they bring to the table.....btw, where did you go to try the cans? Jaben? E1? ConnectIT? Stereo?

+1 here. I like this statement.

I am starting to appreciate what different headphones can bring to music enjoyment. All headphones have strengths and weaknesses.
It is a trade-off. I like expanding my collection and appreciating each headphones for its strengths.
Not sure what my next purchase will be. Maybe a new Hifiman when the trickle down from the HE-1000 starts to hit the market.

Cheers.

May 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #412 of 583
  Thank you for the pics @HiFiGuy528.

Do you think other pads will fit, or do they have to share the same Fostx / Denon DNA and have the same mounting mechanisms?

I have a bunch of HifiMan pads which I would consider trying.

Cheers.

I didn't want to change the characteristic of TH500.  The Denon pads provide a more open sound than stock pads.  I've sent my TH500 to mod so I can use Nordost upgrade cable.  :)

May 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #414 of 583
This is just your opinion, nothing else.

True. But my main point is about how much of a disappointment the 500RP was. $1000 is too much to ask for such headphone. Had u listen to these headphones before. If you had the chance, then you would have agreed with me.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #417 of 583
I run my Th500RP via my Burson conductor virtuoso, and using a tube DAC to warm up the sound a bit. It sounds absolutely wonderful, very intimate, soft, yet the transients are still fast like a Planar should sound like. Vocals are creamy. This is my bedroom setup. My main system is a HE-6 coupled to a powerful tube amp.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #418 of 583
I just auditioned this headphone for like half an hour, my impressions are

the bass is really, really good, perhaps its the perfect balance of tight and fun. the midrange is nice and creamy, never too forward or too little. the highs on the other hand, is kinda sharp and fatiguing. i like it A LOT, but the price, man i think its as worth as a hd650 or similar.
i think this headphone is one of a kind, a japan made headphone, that's open, and have good bass, i dont think there's any other headphone.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #419 of 583
  I just auditioned this headphone for like half an hour, my impressions are

the bass is really, really good, perhaps its the perfect balance of tight and fun. the midrange is nice and creamy, never too forward or too little. the highs on the other hand, is kinda sharp and fatiguing. i like it A LOT, but the price, man i think its as worth as a hd650 or similar.
i think this headphone is one of a kind, a japan made headphone, that's open, and have good bass, i dont think there's any other headphone.

Can't wait to hear these, might be one of the few planars I actually would like.
Thanks for you impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back