New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #361 of 583
When I returned them to Headphone.com, Mike totally agreed with my opinion, and he said they were getting a lot of them returned!

Really? I dont mind getting them for refurb price :p

They don't wow me at first listen, no sparkling treble, but its there, no WOW bass like mdr-z7, which i got a headache after 10 minutes. I think vocal is the star performer here. It's definitely not for everyone's taste.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #362 of 583

When I returned them to Headphone.com, Mike totally agreed with my opinion, and he said they were getting a lot of them returned!

Really? I dont mind getting them for refurb price :p

They don't wow me at first listen, no sparkling treble, but its there, no WOW bass like mdr-z7, which i got a headache after 10 minutes. I think vocal is the star performer here. It's definitely not for everyone's taste.

Best wishes, glad someone likes them!

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #365 of 583
These headphones look great. They have a minimalistic, refined look that's unique for headphones. The design of the earcups and earpads actually reminds me of those from STAX's SR-009 flagship electrostatic headphones. I'm definitely going to give these a listen if I see them at a meet or somewhere else.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #366 of 583
I did a mod to make the 500RP capable of detachable cables.  It has been very interesting.  Today I got a TH900 cable from Mark Lawton, and I really like the resulting sound.  The 500RP/w TH900 cable comes really close to my LCD X.  Bigger tighter bass, soundstage has improved, width and depth, better treble response.  I've been through A/Bing with my other aftermarket cables, been really fun to hear the subtle changes.  I think Fostex has done a better job than most HP designers/manufacturers, choosing wire for their headphones!

Oh yeah, they still have the same smooth vocals!

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #368 of 583
I got these TH500RPs for a week now and have been listening to them for hours on end! What an enjoyable listen, and a sound signature that's so rich, smooth, refined, and refreshingly different from my other modern headphones that all seem to either have a slight or moderate bass boost (Audezes, Denons), or anaemic weak basses (AKGs, modern Senns).

I am loving these for Classical and for vocals (vocals have a special magical timbre on these). Pop also sounds great. All frequencies are well represented. This is a very 'hifi' set of phones, and instead of your typical high-resolution, bright, analytical 'hifi' headphones, these make a gorgeous natural sound that teases the ear.

I wasn't too taken by the TH900's sound (treble sibilance), but these TH500RPs are wonderful.

Comfort is also great, and I could wear these for ages (unlike my Audeze XCs).

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #369 of 583
  I got these TH500RPs for a week now and have been listening to them for hours on end! What an enjoyable listen, and a sound signature that's so rich, smooth, refined, and refreshingly different from my other modern headphones that all seem to either have a slight or moderate bass boost (Audezes, Denons), or anaemic weak basses (AKGs, modern Senns).

I am loving these for Classical and for vocals (vocals have a special magical timbre on these). Pop also sounds great. All frequencies are well represented. This is a very 'hifi' set of phones, and instead of your typical high-resolution, bright, analytical 'hifi' headphones, these make a gorgeous natural sound that teases the ear.

I wasn't too taken by the TH900's sound (treble sibilance), but these TH500RPs are wonderful.

Comfort is also great, and I could wear these for ages (unlike my Audeze XCs).

Wow very neat. I think early impressions on the TH500RP were heavily subjective and unfair. I keep hearing good things about these but until I demo them I know very little about them. Interested to see how they compare to the AudioQuest NightHawk that is coming out soon

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #370 of 583
measurements or riot

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #372 of 583
Sorta resurrecting this thread from the dead, but Massdrop has these up for group buy as of yesterday. If 6 people order, the price is $549.99. Great price considering they're $699 everywhere else.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #374 of 583
12 days ago is not considered dead yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Very true. I'm surprised there isn't more activity here. Seems the early impressions killed most of the interest these phones had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back