New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #541 of 583
Just reading some more reviews and opinions elsewhere on the internet and i’ve encountered yet more people comparing and preferring the TH500RP to other more expensive Planars, even to Audeze LCD3’s..
I cannot wait to get my TH500RP later today.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #542 of 583
Just reading some more reviews and opinions elsewhere on the internet and i’ve encountered yet more people comparing and preferring the TH500RP to other more expensive Planars, even to Audeze LCD3’s..
I cannot wait to get my TH500RP later today.
Yes, as others have said a very underrated HP. Very comfortable on the head, and enjoyable sound.
Here is a review I ran across when I purchased mine 3yrs ago that shows what the components look like.
I see Amazon US/DigitalDJGear has them for $300 should anyone else be interested.

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #543 of 583
So i've been listening to the TH500RP for about an hour now and I gotta say i'm seriously impressed. I was expecting something really good but the TH500RP is something special. I have read some folks saying that they prefer the TH500RP to other more expensive Planars such as Audeze LCD2, LCD3 and Hifiman HE560, 400i/s, it would also be interesting to hear how it compares to Fostex TH900, Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD800. I reckon the TH500RP would win. TH500RP is the only headphone i've heard that combines musicality with absolute precision, accuracy and scales incredibly well..with most headphones you only get 1 but not all 4. I noticed that my TH500RP has a low serial number; #148.
A gem of a headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #544 of 583
Others might disagree, but the TH500RP outperforms the TH-X00 Purpleheart in every area of sound quality, by a sizable margin. Also outperforms the Sennheiser HD700 in all areas of sound quality, again by a sizable margin. This is why I think the TH500RP would also beat the Fostex TH900 and Sennheiser HD800 in a comparison.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #545 of 583
Yes, as others have said a very underrated HP. Very comfortable on the head, and enjoyable sound.
Here is a review I ran across when I purchased mine 3yrs ago that shows what the components look like.
I see Amazon US/DigitalDJGear has them for $300 should anyone else be interested.
Says $538...??

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #548 of 583
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #549 of 583
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #550 of 583
My TH500RP developed a channel imbalance in the bass frequencies, after only 2 hours of use. I had to disassemble the headphone to examine the drivers, but could find nothing wrong with them. Now i've put everything back together and the imbalance has gone. The action of disassembling and reassembling the headphone seems to have fixed it. And I was beginning to think the drivers where faulty. Thankfully they are not and I can now get back to enjoying the beautiful musical sound of this headphone.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #551 of 583
My TH500RP developed a channel imbalance in the bass frequencies, after only 2 hours of use. I had to disassemble the headphone to examine the drivers, but could find nothing wrong with them. Now i've put everything back together and the imbalance has gone. The action of disassembling and reassembling the headphone seems to have fixed it. And I was beginning to think the drivers where faulty. Thankfully they are not and I can now get back to enjoying the beautiful musical sound of this headphone.

You seem to have had some rollercoaster ride with your new toy. Also, you mentioned in your other post that the th-x00 driver in th500rp shell was your "end game". So where do you stand now with all of this new knowledge?
:smile_phones:

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #552 of 583
You seem to have had some rollercoaster ride with your new toy. Also, you mentioned in your other post that the th-x00 driver in th500rp shell was your "end game". So where do you stand now with all of this new knowledge?
:smile_phones:
Lol yes my luck hasn't been great recently. Since I had taken the Planar drivers out of the TH500RP shell to investigate the reason for the channel imbalance, I thought why not also try the TH-X00 drivers in the TH500RP shell. I'm glad I did as the experience has now opened my eyes as to the potential of Fostex Biocellulose drivers in an open-back design. Based on my experience, where I now stand is that Biocellulose drivers in an open-back design, might just be the best of the best option for sheer, maximum sound quality. The TH-X00 Biocellulose drivers outperforms the TH500RP planar drivers with those same cups/shell, mostly in the bass (more sub-bass), but also the 3d sound field aspect is more noticeable. Biocellulose drivers by nature also have an incredibly visceral, emotive sound, the TH-X00 drivers in the TH500RP shell took that realism to a whole other level.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #553 of 583
Lol yes my luck hasn't been great recently. Since I had taken the Planar drivers out of the TH500RP shell to investigate the reason for the channel imbalance, I thought why not also try the TH-X00 drivers in the TH500RP shell. I'm glad I did as the experience has now opened my eyes as to the potential of Fostex Biocellulose drivers in an open-back design. Based on my experience, where I now stand is that Biocellulose drivers in an open-back design, might just be the best of the best option for sheer, maximum sound quality. The TH-X00 Biocellulose drivers outperforms the TH500RP planar drivers with those same cups/shell, mostly in the bass (more sub-bass), but also the 3d sound field aspect is more noticeable. Biocellulose drivers by nature also have an incredibly visceral, emotive sound, the TH-X00 drivers in the TH500RP shell took that realism to a whole other level.

cal.png

I did make an open biocelly on a budget once. I had the back off and played with the venting sticker as per Tyll's recommendation, because he thought it had potential. And I used some Philips SHP 9500 discs (which are build into the stock pads) and can be used as an add-pn structure to accomodate sheepskin xl round pads., Yes XL! So it was basically a "cheap" ish project in the $100US range, but man i tell you this, this beat a stock th-x00 (not a modded th-x00) per say. The 40mm was fast, lively, and it was musical with deep bass.\\

So I initially aspired to make one with the th500rp shell. That was the plan!
th500rp.3.jpg

BUTTTTTT once i had the pieces together, they both performed well. The 610 is an all rounder, and the th500rp... well...
... is about the weirdest headphone ever to grace my beautiful ears. It plays 9 out of 10 songs completely wrong. But when it finds the right song, I think to myself, STEVE GUTTENBURG didn't let me down. He used the word sublime, and man those mids when the song is right.
I would never recommend the th500rp to anyone looking for a primary, but maybe as a 4th or 5th can.

As for mids, I know when they sound right to me, and I use dt48A 5 ohm, dt480 (both 200ohm and 25ohm), dt100 (2000ohm made for BBC).
I will say the problematic roll offs on both ends and this overall haze bleeds into the mids, but that is what seems to make it musical when the right song is on.
I cannot describe the sound of this thing, it is like when you go to the zoo, and you enter the tropical pavillions and there is this "thickness" in the air with the humidity.

I remember how much Z hated this phone, and how much Steve loved it, and they are both right. These sound horrible with most tracks. Not EQ friendly IMO... YMMV

I knew all this before investing beans into this thing (mostly convincing myself if all else fails, I will have the cups, those magical cups) ; btw, the prototype cups look better IMO as the anodized ones (though probably cleaner looking) don't look as beefy.

th500rp.jpg
th500rp.2.jpg

So yeah, if you like music from 50s,60s,70s, like Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Roy Orbison,etc. these work well, as if you're going on some date in cadillac to a diner level comfort, magical mids experience. I will say more romantic accurate than accurate-accurate natural. Natural sometimes is more "boring" than romanticized, smoky, thick bacon mids. IMO natural is better, because the emotion comes from the singer and not the headphones themselves. A romantic signature can make some voices which don't deserve to be magical magical, like when you hear someone with a cool mic, and you go "wow your voice is saxxy" but in real life it isn't. Some modern music is good like 3-4 band members in live setting in small space. If the performance is in BIG venue, problems occur , it seems compressed. In other words a big venue will sound like marshmellowy squished in, whereas a small venue will bring out that coziness. I tried listening to some Violent Femmes and it was hit miss, depending on track but the
R-10652152-1501711475-8419.png.jpg

performances I enjoyed. Classical on the other hand is hit or miss. Lots of timbral issues with roll offs on both ends.
18.Mybloodyvalentine_lovelss_161013-1.jpg

this was a unique experience to say the least. Some people can handle this Loveless album, most can't. The laid back nature and FATNESS adds to its magic, rather than add to its disturbing distortion quality. Those who get me will get me if they've heard this album.
R-8115098-1477235809-5117.jpeg.jpg

I had a bit of an emotional reaction to this song, even though it sounds "rough,off, and messy" The best way I can put it is it was as if they were performing LIVE but on a stage with some crappy speakers. Still enjoyable, and it brings out the punk'iness nature out of the song.
Music of the 90s in similar genre areas were about just chaos exuding from boom boxes which had a musicality in an unrefined way. Punk Rock / Grunge/ Alternative with an edge lovers of 90s era know.
ANyway enough rambling, I n conclusion, these as an overall do not beat the mid-fi trio kings, EXCEPT when you find the right songs, then they are about equal. I would say this floats in mid-fi land and not top of the food chain land. Weirdest cans ever!

IMO YMMV!

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #554 of 583
@SHAMuuu That's an interesting take on the TH500RP for sure. Not sure I agree with some of what you say (sorry). Firstly I would stress that some headphones need to be understood to be appreciated, secondly we shouldn't forget how important it is to find the right equipment for our headphones. The right equipment can make all the difference!
I actually think the TH500RP would be perfect, it's like 99.5% perfect to me, if only it had a little bit more sub-bass, then it would be 100% perfect. But then again, all Planar Magnetic headphones lack real sub-bass.
Honestly I am in awe of it's sound, I have years of experience with Loudspeakers and I can say that the TH500RP paired with my Oehlbach amp is the same experience as listening to speakers in a room. There is no difference. Just surrounded by audio bliss. Again you could say all Planars are like that, but the TH500RP does it in a way that is super natural and realistic. It's not an unrealistically heavily colored sound like perhaps the LCD2 or LCD3, not artificial and bright sounding either, it's sound signature is somewhere in between. I don't believe there is roll off in the treble, that is not how I would describe it. It is just super natural and realistic. I can understand why those who like it compare it and sometimes prefer it to $1K + headphones.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #555 of 583
@SHAMuuu That's an interesting take on the TH500RP for sure. Not sure I agree with some of what you say (sorry). Firstly I would stress that some headphones need to be understood to be appreciated, secondly we shouldn't forget how important it is to find the right equipment for our headphones. The right equipment can make all the difference!
I actually think the TH500RP would be perfect, it's like 99.5% perfect to me, if only it had a little bit more sub-bass, then it would be 100% perfect. But then again, all Planar Magnetic headphones lack real sub-bass.
Honestly I am in awe of it's sound, I have years of experience with Loudspeakers and I can say that the TH500RP paired with my Oehlbach amp is the same experience as listening to speakers in a room. There is no difference. Just surrounded by audio bliss. Again you could say all Planars are like that, but the TH500RP does it in a way that is super natural and realistic. It's not an unrealistically heavily colored sound like perhaps the LCD2 or LCD3, not artificial and bright sounding either, it's sound signature is somewhere in between. I don't believe there is roll off in the treble, that is not how I would describe it. It is just super natural and realistic. I can understand why those who like it compare it and sometimes prefer it to $1K + headphones.

th500rplmbsknpds.jpg

ep007 pads "just for kicks" . I just like sheepskin pads in general more. Speaking of pads the pads on th500rp are different from th610. In that, they are more spongey and most like perforated more internally. The th610 is dense and in turn tougher chewier. No i did not bite them. Just a figure of speech. Anyhoo, I don't detect any major differences since these have a similar sized D shaped hole (though slightly bigger), and they are angled as well. I would like to say its slightly fatter resulting in slightly wider stage and a tad more lower end emphasis and treble bite (the gentlest of bites like a puppy bite) but i could be imagining these. I do feel the leather traps more detail, as opposed to the super breathable stock pads which probably eats some random frequencies. How much engineering Fostex did on the pads? Hmm probably not much lol. Comfort is a plus. Whether such an upgrade is worth it depends on how much you like sheepskin. These are on another can (sr-5 GLD) so I will go back to stock which I am fine with :)

I do appreciate these cans, but in saying that, most reviews of these (seems 9 out of 10) do not favor this can. Is it misunderstood? Possibly. I could not have this as a primary can. The 610 can do it all really decent, though not perfectly. One can live with a 610 and move on in life.
Anyway I got these to listen to Jewel, and Roy O, Sia, Sarah McLaughlan, Chris Isaak, Emmylou Harris etc etc and for that purpose, they get a pass.

The build is fantastic. Comfort is top notch (if you don't have issue with these type of pads), I know some jumbo ears will not like the small cutout. They look cool too.
Bass: Switching 610 to 500, sub-bass is just not there. Sub Bass as in 30-60hz. I never expected subbass anyway from these. 6.5/10
Mids is superbe. Its enhanced though. But who cares, that means nothing. The voices sound right. Better than right, thats the point I was making. 9/10
Treble: Its not so much its not there. It seems to be like a jiggly worm with like 20 humps and dips. Somehow its inoffensive but lacking. 7/10
Soundstage/Imaging: Average. Acceptable/Good.
If I HAAAD to give this a rating out of 10................7.5/10.

I can listen to music on almost anything and have a good time because I am a music person first, and only go super OCD on occasion for details and timbral accuracy etc even though I am not even a timbre expert and my ears are 30'ish years old. huehuehue

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back