New Fostex HP-V1 Portable Amp
Feb 27, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #137 of 220
  What occurs if both inputs are active simultaneously?

They don't give a block diagram, but I guess both inputs are merely parallel... so the signals would just get mixed up, nothing spectacular. Be careful though if you use two separate input devices as their minus pins get shorted... depending in circuit layout they may not like that (though normally thats not a problem).

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #138 of 220

They don't give a block diagram, but I guess both inputs are merely parallel... so the signals would just get mixed up, nothing spectacular. Be careful though if you use two separate input devices as their minus pins get shorted... depending in circuit layout they may not like that (though normally thats not a problem).

the front input over-rides the back one

using the HP-V1 with HP-P1 / 480gb iPod and Pandora Hope IVs - I know the PH IVs are very sensitive, but with gain turned down you can use 40% of volume and it all sounds very creamy - shows the DAC in HP-P1 to be very good  - will at some point get some higher impedance phones but until then couldn't be happier

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #140 of 220
  Thanks. HP-P1 seems to have an above average DAC. 

Wow, "back in it's time" it was considered quite a decent DAC I thought? But just the amp and the Zout was somewhat disappointing?

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #141 of 220

Wow, "back in it's time" it was considered quite a decent DAC I thought? But just the amp and the Zout was somewhat disappointing?

For he's a jolly good fellow, nobody can deny.

I connected the HP-P1 to a phenomenal CD player, one that plays the old CD's, the amp surprised me. It was certainly pushed to it's utmost. I used T5p, which, it seems allows the best of the HP-P1. The problems with the amp start with unsuitable headphones, which I believe is just about all of them.
biggrin.gif
 Which is disappointing. Output impedance is a strange beast, sometimes funky, sometimes not.

The DAC has a particular sound, we know it's not as open and detailed as the newer portable gear, but it doesn't matter so much, it has a musical edge so the boredom doesn't set in after a while, it's dirty, not sterile. It becomes the good'ol HP-P1, my old friend, lets have a drink together.

I will try the HP-V1 in the same situation when time permits.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #144 of 220
Thank you

I do protection because Again scratches and My Fostex In stable Warm condition sound quality is better
biggrin.gif

IMO

Giving the V1 a workout the last few weeks. Usually via the CD player that gets it cooking. Though the P1 works with the V1, sweetens the duo up. The HiFC interconnect is ok, seems to suit the pair nicely. Seems the Fostex boffins have got this match carefully thought out.

Substantially better sound when warmed up to stable temp. I like mine very warm, something like a Macbook power in under moderate load. How to get it optimally warm from cold quickly? Snug it in a blanket is one way to go. No doubt on sound improvement, IMO. Get it cooking but light bending waves coming from the unit maybe too hot. :D

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #146 of 220
Recently purchased the HP V1 and am very impressed.
I am a great fan of valve amps owning the ALO Continental V2 and the Fanmusic BL 2.
The latter is a particular favourite of mine, so much so that I own two. However it does get so very hot and the battery life is very poor at around 5 hours,
Now the HP V1 get nowhere near as hot though. It is  heavier and somewhat bulkier but still portable.
The power supply is massive, more akin to a laptop than a portable amp so bear that in mind if you intend to travel with the amp and be able to recharge it.

It sounds divine and is very similar to the Fanmusic and the Continental, perhaps somewhat mellower than the Continental but it needs
a lot longer run in no doubt. Though subject to radio interference from phones and the like the amp is very quiet with little hiss even with my
Shure 846 and Westone W60. I am particularly impressed by the midrange as I deplore to much harshness. the HP v1 has smooth midrange and nice articulate bass.
Works very well with Robert Cray and Tom Russell and am enjoying a little binge of their work at the moment.

Liking it very much at the moment.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #147 of 220
As a fellow BL-2 owner:

- How on earth do you get 5 hours out of one battery charge? Do you only use it with IEMs? 3 is good going for mine. I'm on my second now, the first having gone back to the manufacturer following a battery failure.

- Why did you feel the need to buy two? Do you have concerns regarding reliability?

I do agree about the sound, though. Given a suitable (preferably high impedance) load to drive, this is (IMO) as good as hotel room audio gets at a sensible price.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #148 of 220
As a fellow BL-2 owner:

- How on earth do you get 5 hours out of one battery charge? Do you only use it with IEMs? 3 is good going for mine. I'm on my second now, the first having gone back to the manufacturer following a battery failure.

- Why did you feel the need to buy two? Do you have concerns regarding reliability?

I do agree about the sound, though. Given a suitable (preferably high impedance) load to drive, this is (IMO) as good as hotel room audio gets at a sensible price.

I only use with iems and at low volume. I bought two because my first was secondhand and I loved it so much I bought a brand new one direct from China.
Boy doesn't it get hot though. I have my rig upside down with the amp on top to avoid accidents.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #149 of 220
I generally use mine with full size cans (too much gain for IEMs, except perhaps ER4S...). I always keep it well away from my DAP, using a 50 cm VdH The Tide interconnect. It gets too hot to touch! Putting it back into its case after a session can be an issue if there isn't sufficient time to let it cool down first. I certainly wouldn't put this one in my trouser pocket!

I believe this is all down to this being one of the very few portable tube amps which operates the tube at or close to its optimal voltage and operating temperature, like a good desktop amp. Maybe we should be comparing this with the Pan Am, rather than the Continental.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #150 of 220
OMG[osh]

What a diff "15 Minutes" makes!
i know tubes take time too warm-up & have heard it takes at least "15 Minutes" from day one in 'valve skool'.
i even try too all ways wait like twenty or thirty minutes even.

Just it's never been as dynamic a change as w/this unit.
i only got a "mono" soundstage after the "30 Second" delay ["mono" as in middle of the brain only/not "one" channel only], even after re-starting the unit two times.
Butt magic [What!!!] after "15 Minutes" w/a wide ['outside' the ears] soundscape.

So it really is like "15 Minutes" ["30 Seconds"] or forget the soundstage altogether w/this unit/valve at break-in. 

me test track was, HENDRIX of course, "And The Gods Made Love" which as a lot of panning & a lot of tape hiss [on non-NR CD releases that is] as well.
i like what the HP-V1 does w/hiss making it a little 'sweeter' & a little less "white noise" like; tho everything as a little more 'rounded' off 'feel' [some may say 'smooth'].
It's like why we like tubes; detail is still there & enjoyable just not as 'harsh'.
i like the bass better thru the HP-V1; [some may say 'bloated'] i sense greater 'weight' & therefore more musical reproduction [more like real bass notes from a real electric bass/"Purple Haze" the test track for bass].  

Being "portable", IMO, the volume pot should have been 'notched'; as too not be accidentally moved or make it easier too set the volume at the same place if wanted.

No loose parts ["rattle"].  

BIG thanks too everyone here for helping w/this purchase; hope too have many enjoyable/relaxing moments w/ this "portable" valve value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back