New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
May 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,688 of 3,599
Quote:

Well, I sold my whole Stax O2mk1 rig after attaining the W3000ANV. I even bought a dedicated dynamic amplifier just for it and I previously had a KGSS for the O2mk1. Different strokes for different folks. Stax are detailed and airy, but they weren't as beautiful sounding and electrostats are hassle to deal with in humid surroundings.

I had the same thing when getting me a pair of D7000. It made me sell my O2MkI and 717. Nothing wrong with their sound but they just didn't win it from the D7000s for me.

Quote:
Got these a couple of days ago from Beach Camera. I'm really not sure whether to keep them or not. I did some burning in and then some A/B comparisons with the D7000 and the LCD-2. I prefer these to the LCD-2 (which sounds more congested, for example when listening to a string quartet), but the D7000's bass extension and slightly more effervescent high end make most genres simply more fun to listen to for me. Even with vocal music, the W3000ANV's apparent bump in the vocal frequency range doesn't really make the voices all that magical; voices have high-frequency overtones too and they're necessary for appreciating the vocal timbre. Maybe I need a lot more burn-in, but I don't want to overuse them if I'm just going to send them back.

I will say though that I've noticed the W3000 has less sibilance than the D7000 and even the LCD-2, which is surprising to me because the LCD-2 is in general a darker can--I suspect in this case the W3000 is masking faults in the underlying source.

I hear the same things as you regarding the D7000s and LCD-2s. The only thing that I hear differently is vocals that sound so much better on the W3000ANVs than on the Denons to my ears.
But indeed, the D7000 is a better allrounder than the W3000ANV. Still, I wouldn't want to miss it though. 

May 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,689 of 3,599
I went back and forth, but I've pretty much decided to send these back. I read this entire thread before ordering them, and was quite taken with all the talk of magical vocals and whatnot, especially since it was coming from many of the most respected posters on head-fi. I was also prompted to order by the "limited edition" sense of artificial scarcity. I could forgive the lack of bass extension (I think the bass on the W3000 is quite nice, actually), but what I couldn't forgive (given the price tag) was a certain harshness in the mid-treble that I think Muppetface alluded to in her "crisis" post. Despite its high-freq extension and sibilance the D7000 is simply mellower in the frequency range that I find most grating. Back to the drawing board... or maybe I'll just cultivate the elusive art of contentment while saving up for an SR-009/BHSE.

May 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #2,690 of 3,599
Quote:
I went back and forth, but I've pretty much decided to send these back. I read this entire thread before ordering them, and was quite taken with all the talk of magical vocals and whatnot, especially since it was coming from many of the most respected posters on head-fi. I was also prompted to order by the "limited edition" sense of artificial scarcity. I could forgive the lack of bass extension (I think the bass on the W3000 is quite nice, actually), but what I couldn't forgive (given the price tag) was a certain harshness in the mid-treble that I think Muppetface alluded to in her "crisis" post. Despite its high-freq extension and sibilance the D7000 is simply mellower in the frequency range that I find most grating. Back to the drawing board... or maybe I'll just cultivate the elusive art of contentment while saving up for an SR-009/BHSE.

We all hear things differently and use said headphones with different gear and listen to different music.

May 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,692 of 3,599
The problem is that for example for me, the treble is pretty much perfect. I can't warn anyone that it's going to be harsh. = /

May 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,693 of 3,599
Reminds me off all the warnings I got about the HD800 being bright as bass-less...I don't hear any of those things from my system. Brighter than my LCD 2s, but I still wouldn't call them bright...

Quote:
The problem is that for example for me, the treble is pretty much perfect. I can't warn anyone that it's going to be harsh. = /

May 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,694 of 3,599
Quote:
I never said otherwise. But I would have benefited from a few more notes of caution when I was reading the thread, and so provide one for others who may be considering the purchase.

Which is a good thing, we need different opinions so people can try to form some kind of idea on whether or not they will like the phones they are considering. But in the end only listening for themselves will let them know for sure. Best one can do is go to a dealer for an audition but unfortunately in many countries (like mine) high-end phones are scarce and most dealers who do have the brands only have the cheap gear in stock. Also meets are scarce here so that's usually not much of an alternative unless you want to wait a year or more to try a pair of phones.
So what I did is buy a lot of phones and amps to finally find what I really want. I had for example a pair of HD800 which are considered top phones by many and I did like them a lot as well, but in the end they didn't compete with the D7000 for me. So I can give that opinion to others, which I do, but I am sure there will be a lot more people who prefer the HD800 to the D7000. So in the end, when we give our opinion on a certain pair of phones, be it good or bad, it doesn't tell others anything for sure.

I see you are considering the Stax 009. I don't know if you have auditioned those but if not please do at that price point. I used to think Stax would be the ultimate phones for me as well and bought an O2MkI with 717 amp which was the top combo back then, unless you got an amp like the KGSS or BHSE. Nothing bad about these phones, I liked them but again, they didn't compete with the D7000 and DX1000 for example I had back then. 

May 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,695 of 3,599
Quote:

I don't expect anyone (least of all myself) to post anything contrary to their own experience, which is precisely why I posted what I did. Hearing is obviously extremely individual.  People simply post their impressions to alert others that such potentials exist.

May 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2,696 of 3,599
Quote:

Which is a good thing, we need different opinions so people can try to form some kind of idea on whether or not they will like the phones they are considering. But in the end only listening for themselves will let them know for sure. Best one can do is go to a dealer for an audition but unfortunately in many countries (like mine) high-end phones are scarce and most dealers who do have the brands only have the cheap gear in stock. Also meets are scarce here so that's usually not much of an alternative unless you want to wait a year or more to try a pair of phones.
So what I did is buy a lot of phones and amps to finally find what I really want. I had for example a pair of HD800 which are considered top phones by many and I did like them a lot as well, but in the end they didn't compete with the D7000 for me. So I can give that opinion to others, which I do, but I am sure there will be a lot more people who prefer the HD800 to the D7000. So in the end, when we give our opinion on a certain pair of phones, be it good or bad, it doesn't tell others anything for sure.

I see you are considering the Stax 009. I don't know if you have auditioned those but if not please do at that price point. I used to think Stax would be the ultimate phones for me as well and bought an O2MkI with 717 amp which was the top combo back then, unless you got an amp like the KGSS or BHSE. Nothing bad about these phones, I liked them but again, they didn't compete with the D7000 and DX1000 for example I had back then. 

I agree wholeheartedly that the proof is in the listening pudding. I'm certainly not trying to talk anybody out of auditioning them, simply raising the flag that for some listeners it might be more prudent to try them at a meet first or buy from a retailer with a no-questions-asked return policy. But even short-term auditioning isn't always enough--Muppetface was a vocal fan of these phones before the first inklings of doubt crept in a few weeks later (though I know she still likes them and is keeping them).

I have auditioned the 009 before, and you're right that it's a must at that price point. I'll try to listen to them as often as possible and in as many contexts as possible before buying (still a long ways off at any rate!). But the "must audition" price-point is different for different folks and $1K at discount isn't peanuts. 

May 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2,697 of 3,599

Which is a good thing, we need different opinions so people can try to form some kind of idea on whether or not they will like the phones they are considering.

Now this I'm not understanding... If everyone has a different opinion, how is one going to see which is the right one?

May 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2,698 of 3,599
Quote:

Now this I'm not understanding... If everyone has a different opinion, how is one going to see which is the right one?

You can't.
You can try like I did, read posts from people that seem to hear the same things in headphones you both own or from people who seem to have the same gear preferences. It helps but you'll never be sure until you hear them for yourself.
And I'm not necessarily saying everyone has a different opinion, you could have 2 or 3 different general opinions on a certain phone for example. Then it's trying to decide which camp you think you agree with on sound preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioplay 

But the "must audition" price-point is different for different folks and $1K at discount isn't peanuts. 

It sure isn't peanuts and some folks won't even audition them because it's simply out of their price range.
It will always stay more affordable than a $5k phone though.
I bought quite a few phones from $500 up and sold many off again, always at a loss. But I did enjoy trying them and getting to know all the different options so I consider that the price I had to pay for it.

However enjoyable that was it has to stop at some point and I'm about done with it. I am getting pretty near my idea of endgame headphone rig. My final amp is coming in, I can do some tube rolling with it when I get bored and there's only one more phone I want, the TH900 and one I want to sell, one of my D7000 after experimenting with them.
For what the future brings ... if it's closed, dynamic and made of wood I might consider it else I don't think I'll even bother anymore.

May 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,699 of 3,599
I'm salivating over those TH900s too. Even though the W3000 didn't quite hit my own personal sweet spot, the Japanese woodies as a whole do so much right.

Edit: Come to think of it, a big reason I'm sending the W3000 back is so I can justify getting the TH900... But the D7000 is staying put.

May 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,700 of 3,599
It is difficult to get a feel for what a particular set of cans will sound like to you. I read these threads for weeks trying to narrow down what I wanted to audition because there is nowhere locally to try anything above your usual Best Buy selection. But to further complicate matters you have many other variables. I have settled on the 3000ANV. I'll tell you they are perfect for me. Some say they have a mid treble harshness. I don't hear it, but I'm 57 so maybe my age has affected that range of my hearing. I can tell you I listen to Clapton, Beck, SRV, etc so you may think they are good for classic rock, but even the difference between Clapton's or Beck''s early recordings and their latest is significant. I would have to narrow it down to a song on a particular album then it might help you. I've gone so far as to buy and download songs mentioned in reviews, songs that I don't even care for, just so I can hear what the reviewer was describing. What amp do you have? Do you use any EQ or just flat? Etc, etc.

I think at best you can narrow your list of what you are interested in by reading here. If you find a reviewer that has rated a set that you are familiar with and you agree with them then you can put a little more stock in what they say about others. But in the end you just have to try them yourself. I am getting ready to sell some things that I bought and are past the return period, and I will lose money on them. I take good care of my stuff so someone will be getting a great deal, and I just consider that part of the cost of this hobby and good karma, helping someone else out who maybe can't afford new. If you can't afford to do that then maybe you set your sights a little lower so you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back