New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
May 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2,626 of 3,599
Quote:
Thank you for telling me all this.So you say that i should solder the cable off and replace it with a new one? Where can i find a step by step guide how to do it.What cables will be better? And will they improve/change the sound?
I like this original cable, but i wish it was shorter, 1.5 M.

I have experimented with aftermarket cables and never found any sound improvement except for the Moon Audio Silver dragon upgrade to the HD650, a way too bassy headphone and silver ups the highs and tames the bass.

I just bought a Norse Norn though, but for looks alone to put onto my LaLaNo7000 ... figure out what that is.  :wink:
Norse cables do look awesome though and Trevor will give you the best service and all options possible. No comment on the sound as i just received them and am waiting for my cups to arrive for the second D7000.

I'd say, cut the cable in half, keep the part with the nice wooden plug and let a reputable dealer with in-house technicians solder that part to the drivers inside the phones.
It would be a shame to throw such a nicely finished cable away and pay 200$+ to have something similar that won't sound better to your ears unless your ears are much better than mine which i sincerely doubt since I can hear a little plastic clock from the other side of the house even if it's in a cupboard.

IMO, YMMV, FWIW, etc ...

May 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2,627 of 3,599
Well, my idea would preserve the whole cable for possible future use. And by doing things yourself, an excellent cable with high-quality wire and connector isn't going to cost a lot more than maybe 50 $ or so. I don't know if it's going to sound better, as I sincerely hope that the stock cable is good. xD

May 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,628 of 3,599
Quote:
Well, my idea would preserve the whole cable for possible future use. And by doing things yourself, an excellent cable with high-quality wire and connector isn't going to cost a lot more than maybe 50 $ or so. I don't know if it's going to sound better, as I sincerely hope that the stock cable is good. xD

Otus ... I'm sorry but "excellent" and "50$ cable"  don't fit in one sentence for me.
Now I personally laugh with 500$ cables, but I think 200$ is what one will pay for a quality aftermarket cable.

I do agree that keeping the stock cable complete and resoldering it back on the phones will maintain a higher value for the phones when you want to sell them though. But don't you consider that cheating the buyer? I personally wouldn't want a 1k+$ headphone from which the original cable has been removed and soldered back on without my knowing, and if I would be told that happened I wouldn't consider buying it.

May 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,629 of 3,599
You can DIY a Moon Audio or DHC cable with DIY wire available from either web site for under $100 and you have a $200+ aftermarket cable.  Does price make a cable sound better or worse?  I have done same, and can sell the AT headphones with the stock cable as well as the upgraded, nothing to hide there! 

May 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,630 of 3,599
Quote:
You can DIY a Moon Audio or DHC cable with DIY wire available from either web site for under $100 and you have a $200+ aftermarket cable.  Does price make a cable sound better or worse?  I have done same, and can sell the AT headphones with the stock cable as well as the upgraded, nothing to hide there! 

If you want to have the same quality as those cables and have them done for a really affordable price in Europe, contact your fellow HFer julianbell92. He knows what he's doing and can do a good job.

May 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,631 of 3,599
Otus ... I'm sorry but "excellent" and "50$ cable"  don't fit in one sentence for me.
Now I personally laugh with 500$ cables, but I think 200$ is what one will pay for a quality aftermarket cable.

I do agree that keeping the stock cable complete and resoldering it back on the phones will maintain a higher value for the phones when you want to sell them though. But don't you consider that cheating the buyer? I personally wouldn't want a 1k+$ headphone from which the original cable has been removed and soldered back on without my knowing, and if I would be told that happened I wouldn't consider buying it.

I'm talking about DIY and guess if that 200$ "quality" aftermarket cable costed even nearly 50$ to the manufacturer? ;D I'm an electrician, and I've done interconnect cables to customers. The materials cost around 150 - 200€, the customer pays over 2500€ for the complete cables. My point is that if you buy a complete product, you will always get ripped, badly.

May 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,632 of 3,599
Quote:
If you want to have the same quality as those cables and have them done for a really affordable price in Europe, contact your fellow HFer julianbell92. He knows what he's doing and can do a good job.

I have already DIY'd three Audio Technica headphones with Moon Audio Blue Dragon DIY, and two pair with DHC DIY cable....all I can say, compared to the stock cables the difference is very noticable IMO!  Clear, clean, open natural sound with increased bass and details, details details,.....I like the DHC OCC copper on my AT's.  I would never go back to the stock cables, but would include them if sold!

May 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,633 of 3,599
For some reason I am enjoying metal a bit more with the W3000ANV on the HA5000 compared to the GS-1. Still not as clear and precise as the AD2000, but it somehow feels better to me. At least with this Meshuggah album. 
atsmile.gif

May 17, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #2,634 of 3,599
Quote:
Quote:
My W5000 had a touch of sibilance, esp. with female vocals which was why I set out to try other increasingly expensive headphones, and I found the W3000 to have the perfect balance of the AT "house sound" without that little sibilance tip... I'm surprised if anybody would consider it to be the other way round, but maybe there are some amps that have a stronger influence on that.

As far as bass goes, the W5000 is holding up OK to a certain frequency, but lower it's going away pretty fast. Depending on the music, you may never get to that point, so they work out great. The W3000 extends that further, covering more (almost all) ground...

that's how i hear them too.

May 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,635 of 3,599
Quote:
Thank you for telling me all this.So you say that i should solder the cable off and replace it with a new one? Where can i find a step by step guide how to do it.What cables will be better? And will they improve/change the sound?
I like this original cable, but i wish it was shorter, 1.5 M.

I would just roll up the cable and use a tie off.  If you do it close to the amp, it shouldn't be a problem.  I would not change these headphones in anyway.

May 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,636 of 3,599
Quote:
For some reason I am enjoying metal a bit more with the W3000ANV on the HA5000 compared to the GS-1. Still not as clear and precise as the AD2000, but it somehow feels better to me. At least with this Meshuggah album. 
atsmile.gif

I know what you mean. Little tip: try an L3000 for metal/hardrock with your HA5000. 
Tell your wallet I'm sorry.  :wink:

May 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,637 of 3,599
Quote:
I know what you mean. Little tip: try an L3000 for metal/hardrock with your HA5000. 
Tell your wallet I'm sorry.  :wink:

Eh, I still favor the AD2000 for metal. Perhaps closed headphones just can't achieve the clarity I desire for fast/technical metal. I won't be trying the L3000 any time soon. And I may sell my W3000ANV. We'll see... Currently favoring the W5000 for a closed headphone.

May 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,638 of 3,599
Hows the low end on these, slam/impact and extension? looking for a fun yet detailed closed can and hoping these would do the job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back