New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,176 of 3,599

Quote:
Did anyone try the W3000 (or W1000X/L3000/W5000) out of a Woo WA2?
Good? Hiss/hum?
Compared to either Zana or Yammy?
Some thoughts on the matter would be of great help to me.

I've tried the WA6 and the WA2 with mine -- both quiet (the WA2 a little less so perhaps) but neither was a spectacular match IMO. Strongly preferred the ZD and, more recently, the Bellari HA540, which with a decent driver tube installed is a terrific budget match for these ATs, I think.

o

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,177 of 3,599
The sound incredible and very quiet out of my WA5=LE.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,178 of 3,599
I have used them with a variety of amps, incl. the Valhalla as another affordable option and it works very well with them. The WA2 is perhaps a bit better but the W3000 are very easy to drive anyway.

No hiss or hum even in the quiet of the night, but that may depend on the tubes you'd use. Since I consider the W3000's strength to be vocals, chamber music and woodwinds etc. the WA2 complements them very nicely. Everything else sounds very good too, but I'd consider the strengths of other headphones for that.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,179 of 3,599
EDIT: to Orkney

Never ever heard about the Bellari, but thanks for the tip, something I just might need to check out.
Been seeing you a lot in the threads I am frequenting I must say. I know you're an author, maybe I should be checking out your book. (Or books if there are more then one.)
Anyway, thanks for the tip, much appreciateed!  :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2,180 of 3,599

Quote:
I have used them with a variety of amps, incl. the Valhalla as another affordable option and it works very well with them. The WA2 is perhaps a bit better but the W3000 are very easy to drive anyway.

No hiss or hum even in the quiet of the night, but that may depend on the tubes you'd use. Since I consider the W3000's strength to be vocals, chamber music and woodwinds etc. the WA2 complements them very nicely. Everything else sounds very good too, but I'd consider the strengths of other headphones for that.

Thanks for the info Grumpy, very clear and to the point.
I'm still only interested in more input on two things:
1: does the W3000 sound good with the WA2 and does it (alomost not) produce any hiss.
2: How does a WA2 compare with a Zana or Yammy when needing to drive an AT Woodie.

Your answer is as straightforward as it gets, and it thelps me a lot, so the answer of others is what would make the decisive factor for me, after your answer has pushed me in the right direction already.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2,181 of 3,599
After listening to the W3000ANV for about a month with just the Anedio D1 (B/c I smashed my Zana's tubes), I found the sound to be improved drastically switching to the Zana after I put in some new tubes. The sound out of the Anedio was so weak, yet tiring without the Zana.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2,182 of 3,599
I have listened to the w3000anv with Yamamoto HA-02 and Woo2 and found the sound to be very pleasing.  There is no hum with either unit.  The Woo2 is a heavily modded unit that I purchased from Jamato8.  I'm enjoying listening to either unit.  Can't say which I prefer yet.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,183 of 3,599

Quote:
I have listened to the w3000anv with Yamamoto HA-02 and Woo2 and found the sound to be very pleasing.  There is no hum with either unit.  The Woo2 is a heavily modded unit that I purchased from Jamato8.  I'm enjoying listening to either unit.  Can't say which I prefer yet.

What mods do you have on the WA2?
Would you say the WA2 has a warmer, more tubey sound than the Yammy?

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #2,184 of 3,599
so how do these compare to the W1000 or W5000?

i liked the W5000, but sold them because they seemed to lack resolution compared to my other headphones and theres just something about them that didn't seem to satisfy me all theway.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,185 of 3,599
It really depends on who you ask.  I personally think they sound very different. I couldn't sell the w1000 fast enough and the w5000 although better was still too bright with not a lot down low. There were coherency issues with both, meaning there were gaps within the frequency range. The sound just wasn't seamless. The w1000 also sounded dull and lifeless with a muffled sound. There were, however, a few who listened to them at a meet that really liked them. The w3000 is one of the most musical headphones I've listened to. Although the mids are a bit colored, it's not as honkey sounding as the other two. There's a decent amount of bass weight(although lacking in extension), and it's very refined sounding as well. The treble is very clear and articulate, and the sound is very seamless and pleasing to listen to. The soundstage is very good for a closed can, and the imaging is very precise. It's the perfect compliment to something neutral like my he-6 and jh13's.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,186 of 3,599

Quote:
What mods do you have on the WA2?
Would you say the WA2 has a warmer, more tubey sound than the Yammy?

i must apologize again for my dyslexia I have a Woo3.  I only had tube amps until this week.  I made a major purchase and bought the HE-6 and the matching EF-6 (solid state) amp.  Each of my amps I like.  I'm going to try the EF-6 with the W3000 just for fun.  I'm really satisfied with the Yammy and the Woo3.  Jamato8 had a long thread about all the mods that he did on his Woo3 http://www.head-fi.org/t/94853/woo3-modified   When doing comparisons between amps and headphones I find it very difficult to differentiate.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2,187 of 3,599

Quote:
so how do these compare to the W1000 or W5000?

i liked the W5000, but sold them because they seemed to lack resolution compared to my other headphones and theres just something about them that didn't seem to satisfy me all theway.

As with the W1000X, a lot has been said about the W5000 in regards to how it compares to the W3000ANV. If you use the thread search function you should find a lot of good info.

Regarding the W1000 (non-X) compared to the W3000ANV, the two have a somewhat similar tonal balance: an emphasis on uniquely colored mids, tight and slightly lean but well controlled bass, and a vibrant---slightly bright---upper end. That's not to suggest the two sound the same, but rather that the two have a similar approach. It's what gets construed as the Audio-Technica "house sound" in other words. There is variance within that approach however, enough to warrant favoritism of the W3000ANV among many who dislike some of AT's past headphones. The W3000ANV is altogether more refined and articulate compared to the W1000, a true flagship compared to their wooden consumer mainstay. It extracts detail more adeptly than the W1000. It separates instruments and images better than the W1000. It defines texture to a greater extent. The W3000ANV is essentially closer to perfecting the traits that have come to define Audio-Technica's vision for the W series, traits that are also present in the W1000 but less fully realized.

Personally, I like the W1000 quite a bit. It's somewhat limited in terms of compatibility however, only shining brightest in the context of certain genres and when paired with specific amps. The W3000ANV has the benefit of an easy-going character and will impress with a wider variety of source material and equipment.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2,188 of 3,599

Quote:

As with the W1000X, a lot has been said about the W5000 in regards to how it compares to the W3000ANV. If you use the thread search function you should find a lot of good info.

Regarding the W1000 (non-X) compared to the W3000ANV, the two have a somewhat similar tonal balance: an emphasis on uniquely colored mids, tight and slightly lean but well controlled bass, and a vibrant---slightly bright---upper end. That's not to suggest the two sound the same, but rather that the two have a similar approach. It's what gets construed as the Audio-Technica "house sound" in other words. There is variance within that approach however, enough to warrant favoritism of the W3000ANV among many who dislike some of AT's past headphones. The W3000ANV is altogether more refined and articulate compared to the W1000, a true flagship compared to their wooden consumer mainstay. It extracts detail more adeptly than the W1000. It separates instruments and images better than the W1000. It defines texture to a greater extent. The W3000ANV is essentially closer to perfecting the traits that have come to define Audio-Technica's vision for the W series, traits that are also present in the W1000 but less fully realized.

Personally, I like the W1000 quite a bit. It's somewhat limited in terms of compatibility however, only shining brightest in the context of certain genres and when paired with specific amps. The W3000ANV has the benefit of an easy-going character and will impress with a wider variety of source material and equipment.

thanks for the comparison, i really like the way you wrote it lol. 

Quote:
It really depends on who you ask.  I personally think they sound very different. I couldn't sell the w1000 fast enough and the w5000 although better was still too bright with not a lot down low. There were coherency issues with both, meaning there were gaps within the frequency range. The sound just wasn't seamless. The w1000 also sounded dull and lifeless with a muffled sound. There were, however, a few who listened to them at a meet that really liked them. The w3000 is one of the most musical headphones I've listened to. Although the mids are a bit colored, it's not as honkey sounding as the other two. There's a decent amount of bass weight(although lacking in extension), and it's very refined sounding as well. The treble is very clear and articulate, and the sound is very seamless and pleasing to listen to. The soundstage is very good for a closed can, and the imaging is very precise. It's the perfect compliment to something neutral like my he-6 and jh13's.

hmm, gaps/seamlessness/honky...i can see myself using that to describe the w5000, maybe thats why i didn't like them.
to me they just sounded a little "off" (kinda like how music sounds when i'm having a comedown).

thanks guys, seems that the w3000 is just more musical and refined then... i'll have to give audio-technica a try sometime in the future, maybe i'll hear a pair this summer when i go to the chicago meet.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #2,189 of 3,599

Quote:

Very well said MuppetFace. The W3000ANV to me is like the W1000 but improved in definition on all areas and with a much stronger low end as opposed to the almost non-existent W1000 sub-bass. I think the upper mids on the W3000ANV is also not as prominent as in the W1000.
The W3000ANV, W2002, and W1000 are of the same family IMO. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2,190 of 3,599
I want to order the W3000ANV so badly. But I should wait until my HeadAmp GS-1 arrives on Thursday. The limited quantities just worry me. Otherwise I would consider trying to wait until my tax returns get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back