New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,131 of 3,599

Quote:
Just asking does the burn in actually change the sound significantly in the W3000?

I've not been a believer of burn-in before, but I really did notice it with the W3000. The highs became a little less strident and the bass did become a little fuller after about 72 hours of burnin with pink noise.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2,133 of 3,599

Quote:
I've not been a believer of burn-in before, but I really did notice it with the W3000. The highs became a little less strident and the bass did become a little fuller after about 72 hours of burnin with pink noise.

Agree 100%. I have been using mine almost daily since I bought probably about a month or so ago and the bass is great now. it is not boomy or gets inot the rest of the frequencies. It is just what is in the recording.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,134 of 3,599
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
FWIW, I find the W5000 and W3000ANV to be more alike than dissimilar. Enough to where it strikes me as a bit odd some people who love the W3000ANV say they also hate the W5000.

Well, as one of those people, I think the tonal balance is very different. The W5000 is balanced very bright and has notably reticent bass weight. I don't find the bass weight problematic on the W3000ANV, and perhaps due mainly to that, I don't find the tonal balance overly bright.

JMO, YMMV, etc etc.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,135 of 3,599
I like the W5000s at low volume. The W3000ANV and W5000 do seem to share a lot of characteristics, but in different doses. For me it's not a matter of the W5000 lacking bass or having too much treble, but rather having too much of that midrange bump in relation to the rest of the spectrum compared to the W3000ANV. It should be noted however that the W3000ANV's bumped up mid-bass also does a lot to "balance" the irregularities of the headphone. The W5000 bass was neutral and didn't suffer massive roll-off. At least with how it fit on my head and out of my rig.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,136 of 3,599
I just think that people are just getting a bad seal (due to the shape of their head or poor positioning) when they say the W5000 has "no bass".
Compared to some bass monsters it may sound weak in the bass department, but that doesn't make them particularly bass light.
The same thing goes for most of the ATH-W headphones.

If you press the cups tighter against your head and the sound changes significantly, you're probably not getting a good seal and you need to adjust the headbands
to clamp tighter, or clamp in the right positions.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,137 of 3,599
#1440 reporting here! I've read a lot of comments saying that the bass initially seems weak and/or the treble sounds a bit bright (I'm at less than a couple hours of listening). The bass has not yet sounded inadequate at all. It sounds just about right. It's not as defined as I would have liked, but the quantity is just fine. The treble was ever so slightly bright on one track, but for everything else it sounds sweet and detailed. Vocals are so far their strength. I suspect that won't change based on what I've read.

On another point, I've never heard any headphone sound even close to as great straight off an iPhone as these. They obviously sound better off the BA/m903, but it's scary how close they can get in quality straight off an iPhone. These opinions may change of course.

So, out of the box, I definitely approve!

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,138 of 3,599

Quote:
#1440 reporting here! I've read a lot of comments saying that the bass initially seems weak and/or the treble sounds a bit bright (I'm at less than a couple hours of listening). The bass has not yet sounded inadequate at all. It sounds just about right. It's not as defined as I would have liked, but the quantity is just fine. The treble was ever so slightly bright on one track, but for everything else it sounds sweet and detailed. Vocals are so far their strength. I suspect that won't change based on what I've read.

On another point, I've never heard any headphone sound even close to as great straight off an iPhone as these. They obviously sound better off the BA/m903, but it's scary how close they can get in quality straight off an iPhone. These opinions may change of course.

Glad to hear...but it does get better after 50-75 hours as well. I'm listening to Tool (Lateralus) and simply outstanding cans!

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,140 of 3,599

Quote:

I liked them out of the box and I haven't noticed them getting any worse. This is one of those headphones that really gels with the BA.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,142 of 3,599

Quote:
They sound good with Tool, too!? Ahhhhhhh. Must...upgrade sources first...

I hear you on sources. I really want to update my DAC. I like the Emotiva XDA-1, but I'd like to try a few others. Thinking about getting the XSP to replace my USP-1 when it is released.

Quote:
Glad to hear...but it does get better after 50-75 hours as well. I'm listening to Tool (Lateralus) and simply outstanding cans!

Mmm...Tool. I know what I am doing when I get home.
atsmile.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,143 of 3,599
What's the date on the XSP? I've been waiting on them to give us a Balanced Pre. 

My XDA-1 will be heading out the door pretty soon because I'm hoping to replace it with the new Woo DAC once I get some more impressions on the matching transport...

Quote:
I hear you on sources. I really want to update my DAC. I like the Emotiva XDA-1, but I'd like to try a few others. Thinking about getting the XSP to replace my USP-1 when it is released.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,144 of 3,599
They seem to amplify the frequencies I want to hear and attenuate those that I don't.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,145 of 3,599
Every date I've seen has come and gone. The last I heard the design was locked and it had gone to production.

Quote:
What's the date on the XSP? I've been waiting on them to give us a Balanced Pre. 

My XDA-1 will be heading out the door pretty soon because I'm hoping to replace it with the new Woo DAC once I get some more impressions on the matching transport...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back