New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #2,116 of 3,599
How exactly does one order the Svetlana 2?

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,117 of 3,599
http://www.analog.co.kr/svetlana2.html
go to bottom, choose desired voltage and click on "add to cart". After that it should be standard process with paypal checkout. But before that I would contact them with general questions about shipping, at least I would do that to be sure they can send it to me safely (with no additional charges to price, as its stated on their site).

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,118 of 3,599
Yeah the English page is pretty much hidden if one doesn't carefully look for it. The shipping is included with the price and proper packaging. The only additional charges I could think of is custom tax, but that is for the recipient.

@Failed Engineer
May I ask how you decided for the Svetlana 2?

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,119 of 3,599

Quote:
I don't know if my taste changed or what but I used to love my D7000 and DX1000/Zeus headphones. Last night I compared them to my W3000ANV and the love for the D7000 is lost 
frown.gif
 and the DX1000 are just hanging in there 
wink.gif
. The soundstage, detail and presentation of the W3000ANV just blows them away IMO. I am almost sure that the D7000 are in the chopping block and the only thing saving the DX1000 so far is their beauty and being out of production 
biggrin.gif
. As I said before to me the W3000ANV are the HD800 of the closed cans 
atsmile.gif

What about making LA7000s of them and see what that does?

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,120 of 3,599
I'm not sure I'm going to get it just yet.  I've also read that in addition to being a good match for the W3000ANV, that it also is a very good match for my other two full sizes, my diy-markl'ed D5000 and RS1i.  I haven't liked the RS1i due to it's thin sound, and the tube amp may help with the weight and breathe new life into it.  I've really have only heard it through my Anedio D1, though.

Right now, I think I'll hold off for another couple months on the amp, and continue to use the D1 as the source/amp.  The W3000ANV sounds very good through it.  But when I buy, I'm pretty sure it will be the Svetlana due to its versatility with my other phones.  The Zana Duex SE is more than what I want to spend on an amp.  The Yamamoto HA-02 is also still under consideration.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,121 of 3,599

Quote:
I just got mine going to burn them in before actually listening, any idea what good headphone amp to improve from my budget fiio e9

It's ridiculous for folks to suggest that only $1K+ amps will mate well with the ATH-W3000ANV.  I'm very happy with how my Schiit Asgard performs with my A-Ts and the Asgard is only $250.  Search around -- you'll find I'm not the only one who's come to that conclusion.

Although audible differences between well-designed amps definitely exist, they'll be subtle, at best, so long as the amp you choose is capable of driving your headphones.  Don't worry about not having the cash for a mega-buck amp yet.  Get a decent mid-fi amp for now and you'll be thrilled until you can upgrade -- if you decide to at all.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,122 of 3,599
I didnt say W3000 will sound good ONLY with amps for 1000$+. I just pointed out some amps which are already known to work incredibly well with W3000 (and all AT headphones in general). In my opinion outstanding headphones deserves outstanding amp and I rather save money for my end game, no need to slow myself down when I know I will eventually end up with 1k$+ amp.

EDIT: by the way, he made it pretty much clear that he is already decided to go for something more pricier than Shiit stuff. By asking how to order Svetlana 2 and clarifying why he is rulling out ZDSE he showed that he actually put some time into research on what pairs good with W3000 to get the most of his future investment, there is no need to suggest him something lower in price as well as lower in performance.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,123 of 3,599
RIF. The poster who's considering the Svetlana 2 and the poster whom I quoted and replied to about the Schiit Asgard are two different people. And all of the amps you suggested to the person I replied to were over $1K when it was clear he was looking for something in a lower price range. Your obvious implication was that it's not worth buying anything less than $1K if you've got a pair of W3000ANVs.

How can you say for certain that the Asgard is lower performance than the Svetlana? Have you heard both? I won't argue that some uber-expensive gear is worth its entry fee, but other high-priced, esoteric stuff is just smoke, mirrors, and fairy dust. Healthy skepticism is a necessity in high-end audio unless you enjoy getting bent over regularly.

I think it's wise and prudent for someone who's just getting into this game, especially on the electronics side, to start off with mid-fi and work their way up. It's silly to for a newb to jump in with both feet and buy a $1k+ amp when there's no certainty that he'll like it or will even notice a difference between it and a more modestly-priced rig. Just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's worth more. And even if the $1K amp is noticeably, demonstrably "better" than the $250 amp, it's for sure not 4x better. The law of diminishing returns applies pretty heavily for high priced headphone amps.

BTW it's nice that you don't want to buy anything less than your "end game" amp, but I wasn't replying to you, and it was pretty clear that isaacyeo wasn't either.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,124 of 3,599
Peace folks! Everyone has their own take to this..

@Failed Engineer
I also have the D1 and I think its build in headphone amp is just very good already, short of tough to drive headphones. Basically with the D1 you get to hear the headphone as 'intended' since the D1 itself does nothing more than being faithful and neutral to the source. The Svetlana 2 imho is indeed a nice complement to the W3K, but I am sure there are other amps worth the consideration.

wink.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,125 of 3,599

Quote:
Peace folks! Everyone has their own take to this..

@Failed Engineer
I also have the D1 and I think its build in headphone amp is just very good already, short of tough to drive headphones. Basically with the D1 you get to hear the headphone as 'intended' since the D1 itself does nothing more than being faithful and neutral to the source. The Svetlana 2 imho is indeed a nice complement to the W3K, but I am sure there are other amps worth the consideration.

wink.gif

If the Anedio's phones out is indeed good I would not haste to go and buy an amp.
Especially if it's neutral it will let you judge phones you buy better.
I wouldn't worry about output power since that is not what ATs need.

If I was just starting out and had my Eximus Dac which also has a really good phones out, I would probably not go for a SS amp anytime soon. Adding a nice tube amp would be a much better idea since that would give you a bit of variation and some phones may do better with tubes, other with SS amps.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,126 of 3,599
Quote:
It's ridiculous for folks to suggest that only $1K+ amps will mate well with the ATH-W3000ANV.  I'm very happy with how my Schiit Asgard performs with my A-Ts and the Asgard is only $250.  Search around -- you'll find I'm not the only one who's come to that conclusion.

I listened to mine on Schiit's tube equivalent, the Valhalla, for quite a while before I got the WA-2, and I liked it very much (still do). The Woo is great of course, but if you want a fairly neutral tube option on a budget, the Valhalla is great choice for these efficient headphones.

There will be differences with more expensive gear, but they will be slight (compared to the sound signature of any headphone itself), and whether they constitute an actual improvement worth the price increase is a luxury you don't really -have- to worry about.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,127 of 3,599

That depends on the headphone too. The AT being very sensitive, should sound very good out of almost any amp that isn't noisy. And I bet you hear a much bigger difference between the Schiit and the Woo if you were using, say, a T1.

Quote:
Quote:
I listened to mine on Schiit's tube equivalent, the Valhalla, for quite a while before I got the WA-2, and I liked it very much (still do). The Woo is great of course, but if you want a fairly neutral tube option on a budget, the Valhalla is great choice for these efficient headphones.

There will be differences with more expensive gear, but they will be slight (compared to the sound signature of any headphone itself), and whether they constitute an actual improvement worth the price increase is a luxury you don't really -have- to worry about.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2,128 of 3,599

Quote:
What about making LA7000s of them and see what that does?

I am not sure. I am very happy with the W3000ANV for closed headphones and I already ordered the SR-009 and SRN727II so too much money spent in the last 2 months. The thing is that I am basically listening to the HE-6, HD800 and W3000ANV all the time so 1 or 2 headphones will have to go. I also have my version of the LA headphones. I have a D2000 with Apuresound balanced cable, internal Markl mods and Amobyna Burl cups that a friend from Australia made for me. You can see them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/345659/denon-ah-wd2000-rl-edition

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #2,129 of 3,599
I just realized one thing, I was wondering what felt so weird while wearing W3000 (,W1000X or any other full sized AT woodie). I have kinda small head and despite headphones fit nicely, they are not steady sitting on me. Its perfectly fine while listening to classic, jazz and so but when I get to my beloved Iron Maiden I need to adjust their position all the time. Maybe I should just learn how not to go mental while listening to metal, but its not the same without head shaking and mimicing drummers/guitarists. Other than that, its very enjoyable with metal I listen to (Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Dream Theater), maybe sometimes a bit shy on basses in older IM recordings, but I guess thats not complete fault of headphones. Bruce Dickinson sounds like a vocal god with these headphones, as good as on live concert!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back