New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,102 of 3,599

Quote:
LOL! And oh so very true. One of the few headphones I truly hated, the W5000.

LOL.  So much emotion. Is there a jilted headphone crush here.  Back to the W3000 right now I'm listening to my W1000 and trying to compare the two.  There is for me the undeniable fact that I find the Audio Technica wing style headphone very comfortable and light on the head.  I do think that the W3000 sounds better-fuller. Is it twice as good as the W1000 I'm undecided.  Having fun listening and switching between headphones.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,103 of 3,599
I guess I've been here too long, but the only A-Ts I still lust after are the AD2K. I appreciate that its different for collectors, though. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,104 of 3,599

Quote:
It's getting really hard to not blow my DAC money on these...stay strong...

Resistance is futile!  
devil_face.gif

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,105 of 3,599
Quote:
So can anyone else compare these to the T1? I've wanted to try the T1 for awhile as my not LCD 2 headphone but these have my attention.

I have both, and the LCD-3s, and I tried them all on every amp in my gear list. If you want a "not LCD-2" the T1 would certainly fit the bill.

I personally find them to have -way- too much treble. I tried them for weeks (burn-in if you will) I could never get used to them, not only is there a lot of treble but it is also harsh. I have never used headphones with so much sibilance, actually even with a couple of male voices... And though the T1 has quite a lot of bass, good one at that, the two extremes seem stretched so far apart that it sounds to me like the mids cave in, are thin and underwhelming. That's the best I can describe it. The soundstage is pretty wide too on the positive side, but the treble spike ruins them for me. If they are supposed to have less treble than the HD800 or Grados from what I've read here, I shudder to think what those would sound to me.

By comparison, the W3000s stops just short of a treble spike, and as per AT sound signature the mids are emphasized, but in good balance to the rest of the spectrum (bass brought up more etc.). Unlike the W5000 (which some here obviously really dislike ?!) where the bass drop-off is more pronounced and there is a slight treble spike... Which btw. was what started me on my search for other headphones, first in the completely wrong direction (T1s) and then in the right one (LCD-3s)

Sound preferences are personal of course, but I'd say the W3000 is the more balanced choice (and my current perfect complement to my LCD-3s), but if you want something a little more... different, the T1 is certainly a choice worth considering, a lot of people seem to like them.

A word on comfort for longer sessions: the W3000s are light and comfortable, and so is the cable. The T1 feels a bit hard at first (pads) but is actually quite comfortable and light too BUT that well-meant heavy-duty and just plain heavy thick rubber cable is actually becoming quite annoying after a while esp. relative to the lightness and comfort of the actual headphones. If I just let it hang, it feels like my head is being pulled slightly into the direction of that weight and I always end up propping it up. No such issue with the W3000 (or the LCD-3 with either the Q-Audio or even the stock cable)

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,108 of 3,599
It really depends on your budget, there are few amps that are known for their great matching with AT headphones, but all of them are in 1000$+ category. Amps I am speaking of are these: Yamamoto HA-02, Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2, Zana Deux SE and AT amplifiers (AT-HA5000/AT-HA5000ANV).

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2,109 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:
I have both, and the LCD-3s, and I tried them all on every amp in my gear list. If you want a "not LCD-2" the T1 would certainly fit the bill.

I personally find them to have -way- too much treble. I tried them for weeks (burn-in if you will) I could never get used to them, not only is there a lot of treble but it is also harsh. I have never used headphones with so much sibilance, actually even with a couple of male voices... And though the T1 has quite a lot of bass, good one at that, the two extremes seem stretched so far apart that it sounds to me like the mids cave in, are thin and underwhelming. That's the best I can describe it. The soundstage is pretty wide too on the positive side, but the treble spike ruins them for me. If they are supposed to have less treble than the HD800 or Grados from what I've read here, I shudder to think what those would sound to me.

By comparison, the W3000s stops just short of a treble spike, and as per AT sound signature the mids are emphasized, but in good balance to the rest of the spectrum (bass brought up more etc.). Unlike the W5000 (which some here obviously really dislike ?!) where the bass drop-off is more pronounced and there is a slight treble spike... Which btw. was what started me on my search for other headphones, first in the completely wrong direction (T1s) and then in the right one (LCD-3s)

Sound preferences are personal of course, but I'd say the W3000 is the more balanced choice (and my current perfect complement to my LCD-3s), but if you want something a little more... different, the T1 is certainly a choice worth considering, a lot of people seem to like them.

A word on comfort for longer sessions: the W3000s are light and comfortable, and so is the cable. The T1 feels a bit hard at first (pads) but is actually quite comfortable and light too BUT that well-meant heavy-duty and just plain heavy thick rubber cable is actually becoming quite annoying after a while esp. relative to the lightness and comfort of the actual headphones. If I just let it hang, it feels like my head is being pulled slightly into the direction of that weight and I always end up propping it up. No such issue with the W3000 (or the LCD-3 with either the Q-Audio or even the stock cable)

I also own the W3000 and a LCD-2 r1 in my case, and I agree that they are a really nice complement to each other. For listening comfort and those amazing mids and general allround superb performance, the W3000ANV are fantastic! When I want more in your face, direct and more brute strength sound (when I listen to metal for example, or just want more impact) I go for the LCD-2. The W3000 gets more playing time since it just does most things better, but there's a place for something like a LCD-2 as well.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #2,110 of 3,599

Quote:
I also own the W3000 and a LCD-2 r1 in my case, and I agree that they are a really nice complement to each other. For listening comfort and those amazing mids and general allround superb performance, the W3000ANV are fantastic! When I want more in your face, direct and more brute strength sound (when I listen to metal for example, or just want more impact) I go for the LCD-2. The W3000 gets more playing time since it just does most things better, but there's a place for something like a LCD-2 as well.

How does the W3k sounds directly out from your Benchmark DAC1?

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,112 of 3,599

Quote:
How does the W3k sounds directly out from your Benchmark DAC1?

suprisingly good I'd say! I actually prefer it over the Schiit Lyr I use for the LCD-2, since it generates a light background hiss.

my heed canamp is obviously better and mainly use that, but the difference is not night and day. Mainly soundstage depth is slightly better and I think I can notice faster transients on the Heed.

I'm currently considering the two new Schiit products, the balanced amp and dac, but that would only benefit the lcd-2 which I've ordered a balanced cable for, not the w3000. I would keep the Heed in that case and only use the dac.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,113 of 3,599
The Schiit Lyr is no good with its very high gain for efficient and sensitive A-T headphones (102dB/mW for W3K). A-T needs high quality amplification and not monsterous power. Probably there was little headroom for volume adjustment from the Lyr when used with W3K?

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,114 of 3,599

Quote:
It really depends on your budget, there are few amps that are known for their great matching with AT headphones, but all of them are in 1000$+ category. Amps I am speaking of are these: Yamamoto HA-02, Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2, Zana Deux SE and AT amplifiers (AT-HA5000/AT-HA5000ANV).

The Luxman P-1u does very well with ATs, not that much different from the HA5000ANV.
Also, my Eximus Dac is a fine match as well and dead-quiet.
Both of these do a good job with any phones I have or had.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,115 of 3,599
I don't know if my taste changed or what but I used to love my D7000 and DX1000/Zeus headphones. Last night I compared them to my W3000ANV and the love for the D7000 is lost 
frown.gif
 and the DX1000 are just hanging in there 
wink.gif
. The soundstage, detail and presentation of the W3000ANV just blows them away IMO. I am almost sure that the D7000 are in the chopping block and the only thing saving the DX1000 so far is their beauty and being out of production 
biggrin.gif
. As I said before to me the W3000ANV are the HD800 of the closed cans 
atsmile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back