New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,592 of 3,599
I got it, why don't you guys wear a hat under the W3000s?  
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,594 of 3,599
At first glance you'd assume that a graph like that would translate to an awful sounding headphone but based on my experience with the W1000x I'd assume the W3000ANV is also very enjoyable.

That leads me to wonder if AT tunes them by ear or if they're really secret masters of psychoacoustics...

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #1,595 of 3,599

Quote:
At first glance you'd assume that a graph like that would translate to an awful sounding headphone but based on my experience with the W1000x I'd assume the W3000ANV is also very enjoyable.

That leads me to wonder if AT tunes them by ear or if they're really secret masters of psychoacoustics...

Whoa, those HD650 and W3000ANV graphs are shockingly consistent with the measurements on my own site. The W3000ANV's are hard to measure. IMO, the measurements don't totally reflect how they actually sound. The reason for the screwy peaks and cancellations have to do with the sound waves that get pumped from the back side of the driver, bounce around inside the cups, and then get redirected through vents surrounding the driver.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,596 of 3,599
Wouldn't your ear still hear most of those peaks and nulls anyway, possibly shifted somewhat to account for the differences between the coupler and a real head and ear?

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,597 of 3,599

Quote:
Wouldn't your ear still hear most of those peaks and nulls anyway, possibly shifted somewhat to account for the differences between the coupler and a real head and ear?

What I deeply suspect is: not necessarily. One measurement method (MLSSA) uses a time window (on the impulse response) to plot the FR. The window lengths chosen are usually long enough to capture very early reflections of the higher frequencies. This would have an effect on the measured FR. The question: is the ear/brain apparatus smart enough to detect at least some of these very early reflections and recognize them as such. Personally I believe the answer is yes - and to a large degree - especially when it comes to headphones.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,600 of 3,599

Quote:
Just received No. 0692 Monday after ordering them Thursday. Luckily they fit my head perfectly.

History: Bought and sold HD800's. Open back and front mod'd D7000's after referencing the HE5 (see sig). Tried LCD2 r1 at a meet and didn't like. Tried HE6 at same meet and eventually picked up a set which I powered with the Master 6 (7 watts into 50 ohms). Still preferred the Denons and sold the HE6. Briefly tried the SA5000's. Sat on the LCD3 fence for a while watching all of the drama when I discoverd the W3000ANV. It took me all of 12 hours to decide to purchase these after only reading a few pages on this thread.

Basic requirements: Detail, Bass and treble extension, impact with a full bodied presentation all passed with flying colors. Why do I prefer these to my Denons? I guess it would be the mids. Harmonic content? Wood enclosure? I don't know, but I just want to listen to these more. I never thought I would like a closed design over an open one, but somehow these pull off a very good soundstage. I think the headband system is ingenius. It positions the cups ever so slightly off the ear toward the top. This along with the angled driver give a nice soundstage. HiFiMan's is more of a DIY headstrap with a couple of drivers hanging off the ends.

It's pretty weird A/Bing these against the Denons. The experience is so different, it actually took a little time for my brain to adjust every time I went from the Denons to the AT's. In the long run, the Denons were just a little more colder, fatiguing and less musical.

Fit and finish: Wow! I thought the Denons were nice. I don't think so anymore. The AT's are just beautifully crafted. Forget pictures, because they don't do them justice. Completely flawless. If you've seen my Denon thread, you know I'm not afraid to heavily mod a headphone. This one is staying completely stock for sure. It would be sacrilege to mess this beauty. The cable and wood jack look like a custom aftermarket piece. I'll just use these SE on my balanced amp, no problem.

So, these honeymoon comments were based on listening to two Vivaldi discs: Sol Gabetta's IL Progetto Vivaldi which feature her as a cellist and Naive's Vivaldi Operas which is kind of a best of disc from several of his operas.

After listening to Ahmad Jamal's Blue Moon (Piano and percussion focused), I definitely prefer the Denons. Piano and drums/percussion are just more true. Mids and highs are more clear and open sounding. There's definitely a sort of a amber hue to the W3000ANV which will favor a lot of recordings. I initially thought the Denons would be displaced, but instead are now beautifully complemented.

Overall the AT's are more distantly voiced with the Denons being bigger and more in your faced. I've always been a one headphone person up until now.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,601 of 3,599
Quote:
What I deeply suspect is: not necessarily. One measurement method (MLSSA) uses a time window (on the impulse response) to plot the FR. The window lengths chosen are usually long enough to capture very early reflections of the higher frequencies. This would have an effect on the measured FR. The question: is the ear/brain apparatus smart enough to detect at least some of these very early reflections and recognize them as such. Personally I believe the answer is yes - and to a large degree - especially when it comes to headphones.

So is that the method you use?  Also why would you use a method like that instead of a frequency sweep?  Would it be just to save time since you can calculate many different things from one measurement?

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,602 of 3,599

Quote:
So is that the method you use?  Also why would you use a method like that instead of a frequency sweep?  Would it be just to save time since you can calculate many different things from one measurement?

Saving time for multiple measurements is one reason. Another is a sweep is more subject to noise (truck driving by the house.) The last reason is that we can't define a measurement window for frequency sweeps - so it's impossible to throw out even the late reflections away. But yeah - we can still gather a lot from those W3000 FR plots above - it's just the odd nulls in the higher frequencies which don't seem to be right IMO.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,603 of 3,599

Quote:
So, these honeymoon comments were based on listening to two Vivaldi discs: Sol Gabetta's IL Progetto Vivaldi which feature her as a cellist and Naive's Vivaldi Operas which is kind of a best of disc from several of his operas.

After listening to Ahmad Jamal's Blue Moon (Piano and percussion focused), I definitely prefer the Denons. Piano and drums/percussion are just more true. Mids and highs are more clear and open sounding. There's definitely a sort of a amber hue to the W3000ANV which will favor a lot of recordings. I initially thought the Denons would be displaced, but instead are now beautifully complemented.

Overall the AT's are more distantly voiced with the Denons being bigger and more in your faced. I've always been a one headphone person up until now.

I always thought Denons had recessed mids from what I've read?

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,605 of 3,599

Users who are viewing this thread

Back