New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #646 of 3,599
It's so far hard to like it in some electronic songs. It's just wrong that mid-bass has more weight than lower bass. =D I'll see and hear where this goes. These are excellent headphones for everything else though, and some electronic music sounds really good too.

EDIT: But then, the more I listen to suitable songs, the more I love these!! =3

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #647 of 3,599
I agree with you, for closed phones I would have expected more sub-bass. It's definitely genre limited, but strangely works well for more things than I would have thought.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #648 of 3,599
A moment ago I listened to some 4MINUTE with these. Korean pop with quite a bass at times. Worked much better than I remembered and caught some new things once again. The bass definitely isn't bad, ATH-W1000X just has more of it and ATH-W3000ANV really shines with the detail. The whole presentation is just so clear.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #649 of 3,599
I get a fair bit more low bass with my Luxman amp than I do with the ZD. The W3000s really sing with the L505u -- odd, because it was pants with the LCD family and is only so-so with the HD800. Who knew?

o

EDIT: I'd also say that the quality of the bass is very good -- precise, good decay, etc. Great string sound off plucked bass. Un-thumpy.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #650 of 3,599
Just wondering, how much did the W3000ANV cost (including shipping/taxes/duties), was it around $1500?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #653 of 3,599
The more I listen to the Zana Deux SE, the more I feel it is a perfect match for the W3000ANV. I do not need to EQ and I simply can not go back to listening to the W3000ANV straight through my DAC.

The sub-bass feels much more extended on the Zana, whereas it actually seemed like the lowest sub-bass frequencies were missing through Anedio D1's headphone out. The tiniest sibilance that I heard before with the W3000ANV is practically non-existent now, yet treble-detail is almost identical as plugging straight through into the Anedio. I'm really (and I mean really) impressed. I don't care what people say, but I think the Zana+W3000ANV is incredibly versatile. The treble is toned down and bass response increased yet I don't hear the headphone getting more congested or less detailed. I'm still a basshead deep down so sometimes I still like to kick up bass a notch for metal, but I still think it's good for everything I listen to without doing so.

I've been listening after long days of work, however, so my ears may have been a bit desensitized throughout the day. Still, I'm pretty freakin' sure I won't be parting with these two excellent pieces of audio equipment. I think the Zana+W3000ANV is my end game. Maybe I'll try to see what tube rolling can do later on. And to think I thought all tube amps less than $3000 was no good.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #654 of 3,599
You can always move up the Eddie Current ladder... it get's even better, and I'm not making it up either. 
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #655 of 3,599

Quote:
I've been listening after long days of work, however, so my ears may have been a bit desensitized throughout the day. Still, I'm pretty freakin' sure I won't be parting with these two excellent pieces of audio equipment. I think the Zana+W3000ANV is my end game. Maybe I'll try to see what tube rolling can do later on. And to think I thought all tube amps less than $3000 was no good.

Wowzers

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #659 of 3,599

Quote:
The more I listen to the Zana Deux SE, the more I feel it is a perfect match for the W3000ANV. I do not need to EQ and I simply can not go back to listening to the W3000ANV straight through my DAC.

The sub-bass feels much more extended on the Zana, whereas it actually seemed like the lowest sub-bass frequencies were missing through Anedio D1's headphone out. The tiniest sibilance that I heard before with the W3000ANV is practically non-existent now, yet treble-detail is almost identical as plugging straight through into the Anedio. I'm really (and I mean really) impressed. I don't care what people say, but I think the Zana+W3000ANV is incredibly versatile. The treble is toned down and bass response increased yet I don't hear the headphone getting more congested or less detailed. I'm still a basshead deep down so sometimes I still like to kick up bass a notch for metal, but I still think it's good for everything I listen to without doing so.

Now you can see (or rather hear) why I'm an Eddie Current fangirl, huh? I'm so glad you're enjoying the pairing. 

Quote:
You can always move up the Eddie Current ladder... it get's even better, and I'm not making it up either. 
smile.gif

I'd love to hear how the W3000ANV sounds when paired with your Balancing Act. That must be quite something! Or maybe I wouldn't love to hear how good it sounds...because then I'd need to upgrade! I'd rather take my time and enjoy the Zana Deux SE a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back