New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #541 of 3,599
Sort of yes. xD I just didn't exactly get what it was all about...

EDIT: by the way purrin, seems like you have some sort of experience of modding Audio-Technica's. Would you think that it's easy to do a recable to one?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #542 of 3,599

Quote:
Sort of yes. xD I just didn't exactly get what it was all about...

EDIT: by the way purrin, seems like you have some sort of experience of modding Audio-Technica's. Would you think that it's easy to do a recable to one?

Re-cabling the AT's wouldn't be that hard (based on my experience dissecting the AD2000 and W1000X). The earpads are removable (with care.) The cup assembly is held together with screws, not permanently glued together. The stock cables look like than can be pulled through strain relief boots. Just be super careful with temperature control when soldering wire to the solder pads on the driver. You don't want to melt the voice coil. Another technique, which is safer, would be to reuse part of the existing wire (< 1") and solder the new cable on to that. You can clip-on alligator clips on the solder pads to act as a heat sink.

I mostly re-terminate rather than re-cable. I only re-cable for the sake of convenience, comfort, or usability. It's not that I don't believe in the sonic improvements of cables, but more that I prefer the use of less-subtle and less-expensive techniques (such as the use of toilet paper, completely upgrading to a new DAC, or swapping tubes.)

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #543 of 3,599

Quote:
What happened? Did I miss some drama?

I'm confused as well. If someone could show me what I said wrong that would be taken as a personal attack, I'll not do it again, but what I said was very straightforward. The W3000ANV has a very specific sound out of many more popular signatures on Head-fi. Just looking at the activities in the "clubs" makes it obvious. The midrange club has almost no activity.

Quote:
Since there have been several people asking about these vs. other AT headphones, I plan on doing a comparison between them (vs. the W5000, W1000, W1000X, W100, W11R, W11JPN, and ESW10JPN). Normally I'd never give myself such a big task to do, since ABing kind of annoys me, but I figure I'll be listening to all of these again anyway once my HA5000ANV amp arrives, so why not?

And yes... I'm the one who took wind's W11R off his hands. 
biggrin.gif

I'm glad my headphones will be going to a good home and I look forward to your extensive comparisons! I also don't like to AB when things are subtle and I can only imagine how much of a task this will be.

Quote:
I have spent more time listening to these, and there is no doubt for me now that I will be keeping them, which at first I was not sure was going to be the case.  I still think they are more colored that headphones like the Beyer T1 or LCD-3, but they are not more colored than the JVC-DX-1000 which I also love.  They have a sound, I think, but as many have pointed out, the sound is just ravishing on many recordings, including female vocals.  On some things it doesn't work that well, but on others it's terrific.  I wouldn't want these to be my only headphones, but as a part of a group of top tier cans, they are a great addition.

That's exactly how I felt some people will find the W3000ANV. I don't think it will work for everyone's music, but for certain types it's fantastic and my genres fit in perfectly with where the W3000ANV excels, which is almost 99% vocal-based. I notice that a lot of Asian pop music have a bit of emphasis on upper mid area of vocals, whether in mixing or technique, and the W3000ANV rounds it out a bit.

Quote:
played these over at a friends house who has the Woo Audio WA6 SE with the 274 rectifier and a fistful of black gates upgrades. They sounded nothing short of magnificent, mine sounded weird because of post flight/post cold sinus weirdness. I still think they present slightly odd but that cold be the increase in detail. I've owned some pretty detailed headphones that don't do this so I think it may be a slightly erratic frequency response. All that said they are fantastic headphones whose strengths to me are extension, tone, speed, with great bass presentation (albeit not bass head friendly) and very clean mids. I'm going to check them out with a Zana Duex later today and I'll report back. 

I may need to get a nice travel/storage case for these as the box is likely to get beat up over time. 

So you had two W3000ANVs paired with the same amplifier and they sounded different? Do you think it was caused by different amounts of burn-in?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #544 of 3,599
There WAS some drama in this thread earlier, mainly when grain free returned again and aired his grievances against a particular mod.

On an unrelated note, I am a bit worried as to whether I'll be getting an HA5000ANV after all. I ordered mine on the 20th, around the same time another head-fier did, and then on the 21st Kaneda stopped taking orders for them. I was told it could take a few days for it to ship but haven't heard anything since. The other head-fier was told by Kaneda that he couldn't be guaranteed one, but then his was shipped out and arrived on Friday. I sent an e-mail out, so hopefully I'll get a response sooner rather than later, one way or another.

Not sure whether I'd buy the regular HA5000 in that case, the Yammy, or just put all of it toward something else.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #547 of 3,599

Quote:
There WAS some drama in this thread earlier, mainly when grain free returned again and aired his grievances against a particular mod.

On an unrelated note, I am a bit worried as to whether I'll be getting an HA5000ANV after all. I ordered mine on the 20th, around the same time another head-fier did, and then on the 21st Kaneda stopped taking orders for them. I was told it could take a few days for it to ship but haven't heard anything since. The other head-fier was told by Kaneda that he couldn't be guaranteed one, but then his was shipped out and arrived on Friday. I sent an e-mail out, so hopefully I'll get a response sooner rather than later, one way or another.

Not sure whether I'd buy the regular HA5000 in that case, the Yammy, or just put all of it toward something else.

AIKO Trading Store seem to have the AT-HA5000ANV in stock if you have a problem with your PriceJapan order.  They also have the W3000ANV available.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #548 of 3,599

Quote:
I've decided to give them a try. Now let's hope I didn't wait too late.

Congrats Mike.  Where did you order yours from?  PriceJapan?

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #549 of 3,599

Quote:

Was that what happened? I must have missed that. =/

I hope you get the HA5000ANV. I have trouble putting up double the cash for the ANV, but you JUST have to get the matching faceplate. Non-matching wood for something like the W3000ANV almost feels wrong. Almost shameful. However, the more I look at the Zana, the more I crave it and it costs less. Needless to say, I can't wait for your's and others' amplifier comparisons.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #550 of 3,599

Quote:
AIKO Trading Store seem to have the AT-HA5000ANV in stock if you have a problem with your PriceJapan order.  They also have the W3000ANV available.

Thanks for the tip. They don't indicate it being nearly out of stock, but in the product description they say it's "special order," so I worry the same thing may happen of my giving them my money and having to wait a week for them to not be able to find one. Still, thank you, it's good to know there's another potential source should the need arise.

Quote:

Was that what happened? I must have missed that. =/

I hope you get the HA5000ANV. I have trouble putting up double the cash for the ANV, but you JUST have to get the matching faceplate. Non-matching wood for something like the W3000ANV almost feels wrong. Almost shameful. However, the more I look at the Zana, the more I crave it and it costs less. Needless to say, I can't wait for your's and others' amplifier comparisons.

I'm hoping that Kaneda will be able to find one for me, yeah. I've decided that I'll most likely not being getting the regular HA5000 if he isn't able to find one. There are just too many amps out and coming out that have my interest: the Yamamoto HA-02, the Fostex HP-A7 and A8, the new DNA Stratus 2A3 amp, the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, etc.

I'm also looking for a new source.

Then there's the Sony Qualia I just paid for....

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #551 of 3,599

Quote:
I'm hoping that Kaneda will be able to find one for me, yeah. I've decided that I'll most likely not being getting the regular HA5000 if he isn't able to find one. There are just too many amps out and coming out that have my interest: the Yamamoto HA-02, the Fostex HP-A7 and A8, the new DNA Stratus 2A3 amp, the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, etc.

The DNA 2A3 is very nice and works surprisingly well with super cheap tubes. I can definitely see it as a good fit with the Audio Technica 'phones. The impedance selector is nice touch and can help with the bass .

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #552 of 3,599

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. They don't indicate it being nearly out of stock, but in the product description they say it's "special order," so I worry the same thing may happen of my giving them my money and having to wait a week for them to not be able to find one. Still, thank you, it's good to know there's another potential source should the need arise.

Yeah i asked Aiko Trading Store as well and they're pretty much in the same situation as Pricejapan. Well, good luck in your search and hopefully you'll be able to find a HA5000ANV!
I myself am pretty interested in the Fostex A7 and A8. Was looking to get one of the 2 before settling with the HA5000ANV.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #553 of 3,599
The dang wings aren't holding up my head. It slips down sometimes when I move. =.=''

http://www.headfonia.com/living-legend-the-zana-deux/2/ This review of the Zana is making me really want to order one, but the bass response being "ok, average" makes me a bit nervous. His point about the upper mids on the Zana being a slight bit emphasized makes it seem it will balance out with the W3000ANV.

Apex Peak looks really awkward with that tiny thing sticking up.

Looking into Cary right now... Jesus, the Cary SLI-80 looks huge. Looks like there's a store in SF to try it out!
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #555 of 3,599

Quote:
The dang wings aren't holding up my head. It slips down sometimes when I move. =.=''

http://www.headfonia.com/living-legend-the-zana-deux/2/ This review of the Zana is making me really want to order one, but the bass response being "ok, average" makes me a bit nervous. His point about the upper mids on the Zana being a slight bit emphasized makes it seem it will balance out with the W3000ANV.

Apex Peak looks really awkward with that tiny thing sticking up.

Looking into Cary right now...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of tube amps. Or rather I should say I prefer solid state amps. The Zana Deux SE is one of the few tube amps I really love. It has handled just about everything I've thrown at it with aplomb. Hell, it even makes the "omg sounds like crap with anything less than a nuclear reactor" HE-6 sound good to my ears. Obviously it's not meant for that kind of thing, but I just thought I'd throw that out there to say it can handle a pretty wide array of headphones. I'd say I go to it 50% of the time, with the other half being divided up among every other amp I own.

I dunno, I find that a lot of head-fiers are bassheads even if they don't know or admit it. The ZDSE seems fine to me. Fine as in pretty damn close to neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back