New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,637 of 3,599
Nice low number. Congrats!

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,638 of 3,599
Mine (S/N: 0970) arrived an hour ago, less than 48 hours after placing my order...not bad! Seems like they were sourced from Amazon? They came with a box with 'amazon.co.jp' on it.

I was quite worried about the fit but am glad they stay on my head perfectly. No problems with the 'wings' at all, very very comfortable.

Listening to them with my O2 fed by a Pico DAC. So far so good 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Couldn't resist and ordered a pair yesterday from Price Japan, and they were shipped 30 mins after I made the payment 
eek.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,641 of 3,599
So far I am. But is the fit suppose to be tight or just enough to grip. Its not a tight fit on my head though. I notice if I push the cups more in it does change the sound dramatically. Just curious.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #1,643 of 3,599
So far I am. But is the fit suppose to be tight or just enough to grip. Its not a tight fit on my head though. I notice if I push the cups more in it does change the sound dramatically. Just curious.

Audio technica's cans with these 'wings' are supposed to just have a sufficient grip to enclose around your ears. It's what that makes it comfortable though.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #1,644 of 3,599

Quote:
would you think a lyr would have too much juice for these? how do you think the anv would synergize?

yes it does. I don't recommend using the Lyr for W3000ANV, you will get a background humm because of the high sensitivity of the headphones. I very much prefer the headphone out jack of my Benchmark DAC1 for the W3000ANV instead of my Lyr (used with LCD-2) that is connected to the DAC1's analogue outputs.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,645 of 3,599
Quote:
would you think a lyr would have too much juice for these? how do you think the anv would synergize?

If its one of the early ones without the protection relay you could even blow the drivers.  I'd recommend against it.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,646 of 3,599

It does OK with classical once you get used to it's sound signature and are too lazy to switch headphones. The W3000 while screwy, are by far the least screwy AT compared to other ATs that most people have heard. Piano is a no no if you like accurate piano.

Hah, I love how these bring the piano out. Guitars too. I don't know how "un-accurate" it is, but very pleasing to listen.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,648 of 3,599

Quote:
yes it does. I don't recommend using the Lyr for W3000ANV, you will get a background humm because of the high sensitivity of the headphones. I very much prefer the headphone out jack of my Benchmark DAC1 for the W3000ANV instead of my Lyr (used with LCD-2) that is connected to the DAC1's analogue outputs.

As with most AT woodies. Amps that are meant to drive LCDs and the likes aren't the amps to be used with ATs. You want high quality amps without emphasis on power for ATs. Though the output of a Dac might have the right power I doubt it would have the optimum quality. I am sure a dedicated amp with the same power and an emphasis on HQ sound will give better results.

Quote:
If its one of the early ones without the protection relay you could even blow the drivers.  I'd recommend against it.

As would I.

Quote:

Hah, I love how these bring the piano out. Guitars too. I don't know how "un-accurate" it is, but very pleasing to listen.

Indeed, and to go against someone who mentioned mids as being vocal only here in this thread: headphones, nor any other devices discern between vocals or any tones in the same frequency range as those. If they play vocals well they play anything in the same frequency range evenly as well, be it pioano, guitars or vocals. Or at least the part of the frequency range these instruments have that is in the same frequency range as vocals.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,649 of 3,599
By the way, thanks for insulting my head earlier. xD Didn't notice it because I have been obsessed with Soulcalibur 5... Still am...

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,650 of 3,599

Quote:
By the way, thanks for insulting my head earlier. xD Didn't notice it because I have been obsessed with Soulcalibur 5... Still am...

No problem, my pleasure!  xD
By the way, feel free to insult my perfectly prefect head as well.
Since it fits AT's, it's goota be perfect after all.  ;}
Or wait a minute ... a Europeans head fitiing Asian phones ... naaah, lets not discuss this any further.

As a side dish: I came across a thread lately (don't ask me  for a link, too lazy to search for it) where someone was talking about German ears not fitiing certain cans because they were known to be too big.
Now as I am Belgian, thus closely related to Germans (but even if I was not) I have only one thing to say ... talk about racism ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back