(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Apr 30, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #916 of 1,334
  I am also evaluating going for a DAP. Fiio X3 2nd generation or the Hidizs AP100. Someone has a recommendation?

Hidizs AP100 seems like it is having great hardware behind.

still i cannot see if it can be used as a USB DAC, or it has the connectivity options of x3II.

I would still advice for x3II, but considering the price of the other, the only option to know for sure is to go and listen personally.

I can only say with a certain face, that you would not be dissapointed by the SQ of x3II, and not with the firmware wither.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #917 of 1,334
Ap100 with e12a is a good balanced combo where e12a fixes where ap100 was deficiency and strengthens the mids and sub bass

My spiel: http://www.head-fi.org/t/721487/review-of-hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-music-player/450#post_11523702

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #918 of 1,334
Ap100 with e12a is a good balanced combo where e12a fixes where ap100 was deficiency and strengthens the mids and sub bass

My spiel: http://www.head-fi.org/t/721487/review-of-hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-music-player/450#post_11523702

it seems like a great deal!

I would like to hear one in person.

If anyone in here is interested in a new software for audio playback, and helping me build it, i am helped if you view and vote ^_^ thanks.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764517/new-application-that-does-high-resolution-resampling-with-lanczos-algorithm-new-user-interface-all-operating-systems

May 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #919 of 1,334
Having read a lot of topics/reviews I still can't make up my mind ...

Situation:
I am using a DX50 --> D-ZERO MK2 --> Soundmagic HP200
Quite happy, but I feel the D-ZERO doesn't make that much of a difference (or I have the feeling there is something out there that is much better :) ), and since I hardly use the USB/DAC option (no coaxial input on the D-ZERO)  I want to replace it for either ..

Fiio E12A
Fiio E12
Cayin C5

I am a bit concerned about the E12A being labeled as for IEM only/ IEM special edition...
I have the feeling I am not using it to its full potential... although the HP200 is just a 20 Ohm impedance headphone..

Any tips/suggestions ?

thanks..

May 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #920 of 1,334
Definitely don't be concerned about E12A being labeled for IEM. It'll drive your HP200 just fine and might help smooth out the top end a bit. I hear the HP200's got some sizzle up there. Still waiting on mine from MassDrop...

Oh yeah, you certainly shouldn't need to amp them with your DAP. I don't think you'll find an amp changes all that much for them. I could always be wrong, though...

May 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #921 of 1,334
I've used the combo of the X5 & E12A to drive my B&W P7's and HE-400 & 500's without any issues. If I were going to only use planar headphones I would probably opt for the E12 but in my opinion the E12A sounds better with most (not all) headphones and IEM's. 

May 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #922 of 1,334
Oh yeah, you certainly shouldn't need to amp them with your DAP. I don't think you'll find an amp changes all that much for them. I could always be wrong, though...

Thanks for your reply.
I agree that it's probably not totally necessary to use a separate amp besides the DX50, but I read many people are combining X3/X5 with the E12A on here, even if it's just to change the sound signature...
Too many options and choices... :)

May 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #923 of 1,334
  I agree that it's probably not totally necessary to use a separate amp besides the DX50, but I read many people are combining X3/X5 with the E12A on here, even if it's just to change the sound signature...

Yep, adding an amp imo mostly changes the sound signature in the end. When I had the DX50 I used a Pico Power to drive my Beyer DT880 (250 ohm) and later on LCD-2, but that headphones really needed the extra power. With my X5 I use a Cayin C5 at the moment and I like the combination, but I'm also still interested in the E12A because I've read that they complement each other pretty well...I also have the E12 and though it drives my headphones very nice, it has way too much hiss when used with iems.

There are many options and choices out there indeed, depending on your budget and sound preference...good luck with finding the right one!

Btw, DMB is echt een geweldige live band
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #924 of 1,334
  Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, you mentioned being concerned that the E12A was meant for IEM's and I was simply was letting you know that it will drive "most" (not all) full-size headphones as well and sound cleaner than most sub-$500 DAP's in doing so. 
Most any good DAP will have enough juice to power your IEM's or headphones but often times the DAP's DAC section is held back a bit by the amp section. Does that mean you have to use a separate amp? No. 

A lot of us use/used a separate DAC with our home CD players, even though the CD player has a DAC built into it and I don't see this situation being much different. I really like the feel of the X5 in hand without an amp and with the nice black leather Dignis case, but "to me" it sounds better via its line out feeding the E12A. Do you need an amp with the X5? No, but with good recordings and good IEM's or headphones I think you'll find that E12A allows the X5's DAC to sound even more impressive.

Whatever DAP I bought I'd certainly want to hear it by itself for a month or so before trying an amp with it. I'd want to give myself more than enough time to get accustomed to the sound of the DAP on its own and you may end up preferring it that way. 

May 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #925 of 1,334
EVERYTHING is about changing sound signature. Listening to HD files is a change in sound signature. Choosing between HO / LO / Coax out is a change in sound signature. Different headphones are a change in sound signature. Cable choice is a change in sound signature. IEM tips change sound signature. The only thing that wouldn't be changing the sound signature would be case that you choose to carry your equipment. Even that could be questionable, due to the emotional factor. In my case, using the stock silicone case that came with my X5, or the black leather Dignis case that I purchased and have used since day one.

smile.gif

May 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #926 of 1,334
  EVERYTHING is about changing sound signature. Listening to HD files is a change in sound signature. Choosing between HO / LO / Coax out is a change in sound signature. Different headphones are a change in sound signature. Cable choice is a change in sound signature. IEM tips change sound signature. The only thing that wouldn't be changing the sound signature would be case that you choose to carry your equipment. Even that could be questionable, due to the emotional factor. In my case, using the stock silicone case that came with my X5, or the black leather Dignis case that I purchased and have used since day one.

smile.gif

I would beg to differ. besides signature itself, detail retrieval and other things can be changed. for example, when going from ie8 to ie800, not only signature is different, but details are much better.

Similarly, when adding e12a to most portable sources, detail retrieval is much better. I really considered e12a pretty neutral, it does not colour the sound, but makes details a little more forward, as it pushes all background noise out of the sound.\\

Or maybe we call signature different things, this can also be why i posted, understanding the translation of the word in different languaces might cause an incoherence of definition.

May 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #928 of 1,334
  Or maybe we call signature different things, this can also be why i posted, understanding the translation of the word in different languaces might cause an incoherence of definition.

I consider signature, SQ, details, loss of details, warmer, cooler, etc...to all be the same. I'm old and stupid. I use as few different words as possible, since it really is just one persons interpretation verses another of the same word.

May 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #929 of 1,334
  I consider signature, SQ, details, loss of details, warmer, cooler, etc...to all be the same. I'm old and stupid. I use as few different words as possible, since it really is just one persons interpretation verses another of the same word.

i agree with you in totality. it is mostly about languace translation too. For example, in English, all there words can hold little difference, or a difference of nuance,  while in Romanian, my languace, they can hold very different meanings, some of them meaning completley different things.

It is totally fine for you to do things this way, it makes your life much more beautifull not having to worry as much.

E12a does wonders for jazz. Separation is superior amped than unamped with FiiO X3. For other genres difference is almost unexistant.

... i guess that we do not listen to the same bands, or do not use the same headphones,..

For me, all generas sound better, including extremely dynamically compressed metal, like metallica, or such. I consider that e12a improoves all, even bad recorded music, like... painted in exile.

May 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #930 of 1,334
Having read a lot of topics/reviews I still can't make up my mind ...

Situation:
I am using a DX50 --> D-ZERO MK2 --> Soundmagic HP200
Quite happy, but I feel the D-ZERO doesn't make that much of a difference (or I have the feeling there is something out there that is much better :) ), and since I hardly use the USB/DAC option (no coaxial input on the D-ZERO)  I want to replace it for either ..

Fiio E12A
Fiio E12
Cayin C5

I am a bit concerned about the E12A being labeled as for IEM only/ IEM special edition...
I have the feeling I am not using it to its full potential... although the HP200 is just a 20 Ohm impedance headphone..

Any tips/suggestions ?

thanks..

FWIW I've chained my E12 to the Line-Out of my DX50.

I'm tempted to upgrade the E12 to the E12a to take advantage of the MUSES02 OPAMP but I use my rig also with the car audio & a sound desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back