(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #902 of 1,334
Hello, I am a starting member.  I own a Rock-It R50 and just acquired the ATH-M50X. I am using my old Ipod Classic, my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 8.4 as music sources. I need assistance on how can I improve the sound for my IEM and headphone.
I have been reading and learning the benefits of the Fiio E12A for IEM's as well as headphones. Would I be wasting my money buying this class of amplifier? Are there better recommendations for my gear? I want to listen to my phones with quality and better listening volume levels. Also want to get the most of my sources. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #903 of 1,334
@eadomin what kind of source files are you using? Mp3 or flac? What music player are you using? Are you finding the volume out of your note 4 sufficient?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #904 of 1,334
  Hello, I am a starting member.  I own a Rock-It R50 and just acquired the ATH-M50X. I am using my old Ipod Classic, my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 8.4 as music sources. I need assistance on how can I improve the sound for my IEM and headphone.
I have been reading and learning the benefits of the Fiio E12A for IEM's as well as headphones. Would I be wasting my money buying this class of amplifier? Are there better recommendations for my gear? I want to listen to my phones with quality and better listening volume levels. Also want to get the most of my sources. 

I would use ipod classic via LOD with Fiio e12 for example 

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #905 of 1,334
I would use ipod classic via LOD with Fiio e12 for example 

Not sure that is the best course of action for iems though. The e12 is known to be noisy with them. Most people recommend the e12a with iems. That being said, I am not sure my immediate recommend would be an amp unless he finds the note 4 cannot power his headphones. In my experience, dacs and music sources make the most difference to sound quality next to the headphone itself. If he wants to switch from his note 4 I would recommend considering an entry level dap before an ipod, like the Fiio x3ii. However, before we make recommendations we need more information from him about his sources files and exactly what he wants to improve on sq wise.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #906 of 1,334
Thank you all for your support, my music has a combination of mp3 (recorded with variable bit rates) and AAIFF files. The volume I get from my Galaxy Note 4 using the ATH M50X is not enough for my listening needs. The Ipod Classic has a better volume output but also falls short. With an amp in my configuration I can use a LOD cable to connect my Ipod and was thinking on also buying an HifimeDiy Sabre Android DAC to connect to my Galaxy Note 4 and bypass its internal DAC. I would probably go in the future for a better music source, so whatever I buy at this time should be also usable with better resolution players. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #907 of 1,334
Thank you all for your support, my music has a combination of mp3 (recorded with variable bit rates) and AAIFF files. The volume I get from my Galaxy Note 4 using the ATH M50X is not enough for my listening needs. The Ipod Classic has a better volume output but also falls short. With an amp in my configuration I can use a LOD cable to connect my Ipod and was thinking on also buying an HifimeDiy Sabre Android DAC to connect to my Galaxy Note 4 and bypass its internal DAC. I would probably go in the future for a better music source, so whatever I buy at this time should be also usable with better resolution players. 

I have used the sabre dac you mentioned with my note 3, sounds great and I get enough volume for my needs. That would be a good price point to enter a better sound. If the volume is still insufficient for you then you can look at adding an amp, but it should be fine especially for your iems.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #908 of 1,334
Thank you bavinck, do you have a recommendation for an amp besides the e12A (in case I want to use my actual musical sources)? Fiio X3K (2nd generation) or Ibasso DX-50? Do you know if I can connect my Galaxy Note 4 to the DAP's with a OTG cable?

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #909 of 1,334
  Thank you bavinck, do you have a recommendation for an amp besides the e12A (in case I want to use my actual musical sources)? Fiio X3K (2nd generation) or Ibasso DX-50? Do you know if I can connect my Galaxy Note 4 to the DAP's with a OTG cable?

you can connect if it has android 5.0 if i remember good.

E12a is better price/performance ratio, if you will have an extrenal DAC.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #910 of 1,334

The Fiio and Ibasso DAPs (digital audio player) has a nice dac and amp built in. Your Note 4 has a moderately suckie dac and amp built in. My suggestion is try the Sabre dac with your phone first, as it is easy and cheap to try bypassing your note 4 dac with OTG. I bet it will have more than enough volume for you. Like skerry wrote, the e12a is an excellent amp, but is $200. If you really want to try the e12a out, pm me as I have once in excellent condition I am considering selling.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #914 of 1,334
but bad sofware 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back