(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
May 26, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #976 of 1,334

I had the E11K when I first bought my X3 1st gen. The E11K did add volume to the X3, but did nothing for sound quality or sound stage (other than adding some bass). I traded up to the E12A and... Wow! Big improvement in clarity and space, and amazing implementation of bass boost (focused on sub-bass rather than mid-bass, and hence not bleeding into other frequencies. Superb with IEMs.

Now I've just picked up the Audio Technica ATH-R70x, which are open headphones rated at 470 ohms. Was worried about whether the E12A would drive them okay, and am VERY impressed with the sonic quality (high gain, volume at 6/10). I am more and more convinced that the E12A is a very solid all-rounder, and not JUST an IEM amp!

Need to save up for E12A! Thanks 

May 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #977 of 1,334
May 26, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #978 of 1,334

You won't regret. A really good amp indeed, especially for IEMs :D

I would even say that it is one of the best portable amps regardless of price or of the type of headphones/iems. I love it's sound with my full headphones too!

(though i must accept that i do not have anything at 300Ohm or above)

May 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #979 of 1,334
E12A is a great amp for the price if you're looking for something smooth and musical @hakushondaimao. It's not what I'd call an "energetic" amp, so I find it pairs well with pretty much whatever you throw at them and enables an engaging, satisfying and relaxed listening experience.

Can you tell me one that can be considered energetic (<500$)?

May 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #981 of 1,334
I found the Cayin C5 more energetic in comparison to the E12A.

I think that i need to ask what you call energetic? I do not have access to C5 so i cannot know how to put it in my mind.

Like ifi idsd? like Hugo?

Bright? Powerfull? like e12 driving low impedance headphones? 

Do not get me wrong, i want to understand your point of view, but i cannot as i am right now.

May 26, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #983 of 1,334
More energy/sparkle up top and more 3D soundstage compared to E12A.

Haven't heard iDSD or Hugo and can't comment on those.

Ah. I think i would had loved getting those amps too then. 

E12A has enough treble spark for Ie800 for example, but more soundstage?.. I would be all over an amp that can do even more than E12A. Compared to x5, e12a, is an open world, a world of pleasure. If i can get even more soundstage, that is my next purchase
evil_smiley.gif

Nor iDsd or Hugo adds soundstage. Instead, they are more precise and clear. 

I think that all three devices sound amazing on each's own. 

May 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #984 of 1,334
Super happy to hear the R70x + E12A fairs well together, they were 2 wishlist items I was afraid wouldn't comply with each other..

May 26, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #985 of 1,334
The Cayin C5 sounds really nice Dobrescu George, but it's downside for me was twofold.

1. It's low gain was too high for sensitive IEM. This made a comfortable listening level just after the point where channel imbalance stops. And it gets really loud really quickly.

2. It's bass boost was too broad spectrum, adding warmth instead of just adding low bass thump.

If the Cayin C5 had lower output with low gain and more surgical bass boost implementation, I would've kept it. As it is, I'm happy with E12A for an easy grab n go amp and E12 DIY when I want to take the time to tweak or need something more powerful.

May 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #987 of 1,334
  The JDSlabs Ultrashort cable is really short.  Saves a lot of space for sure.  I just think it looks cool with the E12A and Iphone 4S.

I wonder if it makes any difference in SQ.

It seems shorter than i would want it, sometimes there is more distance between the jacks, it would not work for all devices out there.

May 27, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #988 of 1,334
  I wonder if it makes any difference in SQ.

It seems shorter than i would want it, sometimes there is more distance between the jacks, it would not work for all devices out there.

It did make a small difference in SQ.  But it's not a nite and day difference.  After a minute you forget what the old cable sounds like.

The cable is longer than it looks.

May 27, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #989 of 1,334
It did make a small difference in SQ.  But it's not a nite and day difference.  After a minute you forget what the old cable sounds like.

The cable is longer than it looks.

Say, aren't you double-amping in this case? Why not use the LOD out of the iPhone to the amp? I know that the iPhone 4 sounds good by itself, but I'm sure the audio output through the lod to the amp will sound noticeably better. I use the fiio L9 for this purpose, connected to my old iPod classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back