(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
May 19, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #961 of 1,334
So, I am pretty stunned at how well this experiment connecting my av reciever and e12a worked. Using my he500s, on low gain with the dial around 10 I am getting excellent sound. No distortion, and it sounds like the e12a is handling the planar drivers very well. Without bass boost it has a much more commanding and intense sound than the reciever ho alone, the bass boost brings in an appropriate amount of rumble that I can hear and feel spring explosions. The bb does not have any affect during scenes of talking, which means the Fiio bb is doing exactly what I wanted. I am really happy with this setup and am looking G forward to getting the kids in bed so I can mess around with some movies!

May 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #963 of 1,334
So, I am pretty stunned at how well this experiment connecting my av reciever and e12a worked. Using my he500s, on low gain with the dial around 10 I am getting excellent sound. No distortion, and it sounds like the e12a is handling the planar drivers very well. Without bass boost it has a much more commanding and intense sound than the reciever ho alone, the bass boost brings in an appropriate amount of rumble that I can hear and feel spring explosions. The bb does not have any affect during scenes of talking, which means the Fiio bb is doing exactly what I wanted. I am really happy with this setup and am looking G forward to getting the kids in bed so I can mess around with some movies!

Ok, so you used a 6.3mm (front-receiver end) to 3.5mm (fiio end) cable? or the LO (RCA) to fiio?.....Yes the BB clearly targets the Low Freq Effect.....

May 20, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #966 of 1,334
Ok, so you used a 6.3mm (front-receiver end) to 3.5mm (fiio end) cable? or the LO (RCA) to fiio?.....Yes the BB clearly targets the Low Freq Effect.....

6.3mm ho on reciever to 3.5mm line in on e12a. Works great. The Yamaha reciever is doing a bunch of surround sound processing so I set the reciever to - 3db to avoid any clipping from processing. Truly sounds wonderful. The he500s were literally shaking on my head during some explosions last night in star trek into darkness.

May 20, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #967 of 1,334
6.3mm ho on reciever to 3.5mm line in on e12a. Works great. The Yamaha reciever is doing a bunch of surround sound processing so I set the reciever to - 3db to avoid any clipping from processing. Truly sounds wonderful. The he500s were literally shaking on my head during some explosions last night in star trek into darkness.

Yeah the Yamaha AV receiver's different modes of DSP is truly enjoyable.....And I do like the HK's Logic7 too.

May 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #968 of 1,334
I had trouble finding one in Canada so I ended up having one shipped from Japan ($20 Cdn) and 1 month delivery.  You are right my E12a/X3ii stack fits perfectly in a nice compact pouch, although I do need to disconnect the LO cable from the E12a if I want to zip it shut all the way (no biggie).  The side zipped compartment is perfect for the microSD's.  Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by KLJTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the a great soft case yesterday at Best Buy, the Lowepro Newport 30 and it has the loop on the back so it can be carried on your belt/hip. It's pretty much a perfect fit and as small as you can possibly go with the two stacked together. I've ordered a few different camera bags from Amazon but never one that fit this well. My goal was to go as small as I could but still have plenty of room for the X5 and E12A...plus it has a hidden zippered flat pocket in front that you could use to store your IEM's. The Lowepro Newport 30 was $10. 

If I can find the time I'll post a pic of the bag next to the stack and then with them in the bag.

May 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #969 of 1,334
I'm glad you like the bag, I use mine just about every day. I only carry it on my belt when I'm going to use my X5 & E12A so I simply leave the very top open/unzipped so I can plug in my IEM's yet there's no way for the stack to fall out. If I recall correctly you can zip it closed if you're using the L17 right angle line-out cable but I've been trying several different cables lately and almost all of them require me to leave the top open. Enjoy it, it makes carrying your DAP and amp stack a lot easier. 

May 21, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #970 of 1,334
I just bought an E12a for my ie80s and X1 combo. Anyone have experience with this particular combination of equipment? Coming from an E11 & Mini^3, I'm pretty stoked for a new amp. I also have KC06As and VSD3S's... The latter being harder to drive than an everyday iem should be.

How was the leap from e11k to e12a using your ie80 and x1? im looking for an AMP and been thinking about E12A. 

May 22, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #972 of 1,334
  How was the leap from e11k to e12a using your ie80 and x1? im looking for an AMP and been thinking about E12A. 

...Big...

I think that it is a little unfair comparation, e12a has the muses op-amps, which are by far some of the best opamps possible, it is hard to match them.

Also, if you have x1, you could try to sell your x1 and get an x5, you could get better SQ, based on what you are looking for.

For example, even though e12a is for iems i use it more with big headphones than with my ie8s, because ie8s are my portable setup. I take them with me when i go out, it is a little unconvenient to take a stack in some situations YMMV.

The difference in SQ is big, e12a is unique in it's nature, it makes the background black. You hear only what is in the recording. You get better soundstage, a smooth treble and very good mids. I had written a review for it. Comparing it to e11k is a bit unfair, as they have different uses.

May 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #973 of 1,334
  ...Big...

I think that it is a little unfair comparation, e12a has the muses op-amps, which are by far some of the best opamps possible, it is hard to match them.

Also, if you have x1, you could try to sell your x1 and get an x5, you could get better SQ, based on what you are looking for.

For example, even though e12a is for iems i use it more with big headphones than with my ie8s, because ie8s are my portable setup. I take them with me when i go out, it is a little unconvenient to take a stack in some situations YMMV.

The difference in SQ is big, e12a is unique in it's nature, it makes the background black. You hear only what is in the recording. You get better soundstage, a smooth treble and very good mids. I had written a review for it. Comparing it to e11k is a bit unfair, as they have different uses.

Thank you for the very good input! 

May 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #974 of 1,334

I had the E11K when I first bought my X3 1st gen. The E11K did add volume to the X3, but did nothing for sound quality or sound stage (other than adding some bass). I traded up to the E12A and... Wow! Big improvement in clarity and space, and amazing implementation of bass boost (focused on sub-bass rather than mid-bass, and hence not bleeding into other frequencies. Superb with IEMs.

Now I've just picked up the Audio Technica ATH-R70x, which are open headphones rated at 470 ohms. Was worried about whether the E12A would drive them okay, and am VERY impressed with the sonic quality (high gain, volume at 6/10). I am more and more convinced that the E12A is a very solid all-rounder, and not JUST an IEM amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back