(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Mar 14, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #586 of 1,334
Wow I did not know that iPod Classic did not provide true LO through 30 pin adapter.  I had gone back and forth with my C&C Box+ and could have sworn the "LO" sounded better.  Could be difference in quality of interconnect and or I had iPod volume less than max for comparison.

So what mod is needed to get true line out if is at al possible?  I have latest addition 160 GB Classic.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #587 of 1,334
http://redwineaudio.com/mods/imod
An example of a modded iPod for true LO. Bassically it bypass the preamp of the iPod, maybe someone know more details on what they did exactly.
On the case of double amping, I tried to double amp 2 good one myself (the E12A and the Heir Rendition 1), the sound is muffled, details are lost compare to just using 1 amp. Also interestingly the overall sound is more affected by which amp I plug my headphones to, which could explain the better SQ when I double amping with my phone via the 3.5 jack

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #588 of 1,334
  http://redwineaudio.com/mods/imod
An example of a modded iPod for true LO. Bassically it bypass the preamp of the iPod, maybe someone know more details on what they did exactly.
On the case of double amping, I tried to double amp 2 good one myself (the E12A and the Heir Rendition 1), the sound is muffled, details are lost compare to just using 1 amp. Also interestingly the overall sound is more affected by which amp I plug my headphones to, which could explain the better SQ when I double amping with my phone via the 3.5 jack

iMod only applies to older generation of iPod (4th~5.5th gen). iPod 6th Gen's original LO is good enough that people don't mod it anymore. Those who are seeking for even better SQ than the line-out typically goes for a portable DAC instead, but those can be pretty expensive.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #589 of 1,334

iPod 6th Gen's original LO is good enough that people don't mod it anymore. Those who are seeking for even better SQ than the line-out typically goes for a portable DAC instead, but those can be pretty expensive.

Well-said!  
beerchug.gif

When I saw that $445 modification price-tag total, I thought of the song "Rip Off" by After School
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #593 of 1,334
I'm kinda thinking along those lines as well.  I have a cheap pair of Nuforce NE700's that I use for the gym but decided to try it with the E12a and thought hmmm...not bad but a better pair might be worth considering.  My guy at the Headfone Shop in Toronto has a pair of used Westone UMPro30's for me to audition.  Curious to hear them on my E12a.
Great! Waiting for ur impression on this then! Am W4r user in fact ! :wink:

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #594 of 1,334
Thank you. I want to pair it with my Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and my Westone W40. Which do you think would be better for that?

Let see.. go for E18 to fit your Galaxy... and/or E12A for your Westone. :D

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #595 of 1,334
Great! Waiting for ur impression on this then! Am W4r user in fact !
wink.gif

I have been giving the UMPro30's quite a bit of ear time and it was really tough to get used to the very intimate closed in soundstage of these earphones.  Also I found them to be very dark in nature with subdued high frequencies.  Then a few days ago something very noticeable happened...the sound character changed dramatically for the better DURING a listening session.  I bought them used (they were only 4 months old) and I don't know how many hours the previous owner actually put on them so perhaps they crossed a critical "burn-in" phase.  Maybe it was my E12a, which I bought brand new only 1 week before the Westone's that contributed to the change.  I'm estimating that I've put about 150 hours on the E12a since I got it.

Regardless of whatever "happened" the UMPro30's/E12a combo now sounds so much better.  Overall everything sounds much more balanced, in particular the high frequencies.  Also the bass is less muddy sounding, instead it now is tight, rich and extends deeply (even without the bass boost).  The midrange hasn't changed much but then it already was very good from the start.  Probably the biggest change is the soundstage...it has opened up quite a bit (for an "in-the-head" tuned earphone perspective) and separates the instruments beautifully.

Needless to say I'm very happy that I stuck with the UMPro30's...my Beyerdynamic DT1350's hardly get used now.  Tomorrow I'm heading back to audition a pair of used W30's because originally when I was auditioning the UMPro30's I actually preferred the W series sound but the used UMPro30's were just such a good deal that I thought I would give them a go.  Glad I did.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #596 of 1,334
I have been giving the UMPro30's quite a bit of ear time and it was really tough to get used to the very intimate closed in soundstage of these earphones.  Also I found them to be very dark in nature with subdued high frequencies.  Then a few days ago something very noticeable happened...the sound character changed dramatically for the better DURING a listening session.  I bought them used (they were only 4 months old) and I don't know how many hours the previous owner actually put on them so perhaps they crossed a critical "burn-in" phase.  Maybe it was my E12a, which I bought brand new only 1 week before the Westone's that contributed to the change.  I'm estimating that I've put about 150 hours on the E12a since I got it.

Regardless of whatever "happened" the UMPro30's/E12a combo now sounds so much better.  Overall everything sounds much more balanced, in particular the high frequencies.  Also the bass is less muddy sounding, instead it now is tight, rich and extends deeply (even without the bass boost).  The midrange hasn't changed much but then it already was very good from the start.  Probably the biggest change is the soundstage...it has opened up quite a bit (for an "in-the-head" tuned earphone perspective) and separates the instruments beautifully.

Needless to say I'm very happy that I stuck with the UMPro30's...my Beyerdynamic DT1350's hardly get used now.  Tomorrow I'm heading back to audition a pair of used W30's because originally when I was auditioning the UMPro30's I actually preferred the W series sound but the used UMPro30's were just such a good deal that I thought I would give them a go.  Glad I did.
Thank for comments! Yup, W series sound more fun, musical to me, same as my W4r ! UM series is more "stage" monitor, it have less LO freq in it. W series is more "Audiophile" genre in mind!
I still have the UM3x, that have change couple weeks later for the W4r. Never use, yet, my IEM amped! Am an hurry to see all the transformation! ....

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #597 of 1,334
I think the sound of it is so unique, like "FiiO house sound" as we say for Westone. Something like that. I'm in love by the sound of this amp. And the sinergy with the Westone W40 is terrific. Never felt anything like this with the JDSLabs C5.
+1

Youv read my mind!!

:D

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #598 of 1,334
Can you guys suggest a DAC that pairs well with the E12A?

Budget is <$70. I have an android phone (Sony Z3 compact).

Thanks.
A FiiO E18 will pair well with ur Smartphone! No DAC in the E12A. DAC only can be not cheap! Other option... Zx2
Keep working!!

Hope this can help!

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #599 of 1,334
A FiiO E18 will pair well with ur Smartphone! No DAC in the E12A. DAC only can be not cheap! Other option... Zx2
Keep working!!

Hope this can help!

biggrin.gif

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the HiFimediy Android Sabre DAC was quite a good match for the E12a. I still stand by this opinion. The only downside is that it is less portable than a combined DAC/Amp solution. However,  at a ~€30 price point, it stays well within your budget... 

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #600 of 1,334
I mentioned earlier in this thread that the HiFimediy Android Sabre DAC was quite a good match for the E12a. I still stand by this opinion. The only downside is that it is less portable than a combined DAC/Amp solution. However,  at a ~€30 price point, it stays well within your budget... 
Portability is my primary option. HiFimediy Android Sabre DAC are not available in my country! I want stay FiiO.

E12A amp. will be fine for my rig. (X1 (eventualy X3II) W4r) But, if am looking now for USB/DAC/Amp, what will be the best in this dept. ? Not to big... not to small either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back