(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Jan 6, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #286 of 1,334
If you listen to a lot of older music with very distinct stereo separation (like guitar only on left channel, bass only on right channel, drums and singer in middle) you might like the E12's cross feed. Otherwise you probably won't miss it.

Hello I have a new X1 and listen to almost all 50-70s Jazz Do you know if the X1 has cross feed built in? I was thinking I need an amp as my volume is about 70% Eytomic ER4, and without the cross feed the E12A doesn't sound like the right one for me. Would you guys have any other recommendations? Thanks

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #288 of 1,334
Mine just arrived, going to make some blind tests (if my flatmate is up to it) with the 11k using mostly X1 and Philips X2 Fidelio/Phonak 112.

EDIT:

Quite happy with it, the 11k in comparison now seems more harsh and the soundstage is defenately better on the 12a (oh well, it costs almost three times as much).
Love the color. 

P.S. Does yours make a click noise when you turn it past 9 ?

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #289 of 1,334
No crossfeed on X1 or E12A. You'll need to look elsewhere for this. E12 is certainly an option.

Sorry for being ignorant on this and i'm sure its a dumb question. But would I only need cross feed on one or both? Iv'e never noticed this in specs is there something I should look for to see if a item has it? Thanks in advance!  Vince

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #290 of 1,334

No crossfeed on X1 or E12A. You'll need to look elsewhere for this. E12 is certainly an option.

Sorry for being ignorant on this and i'm sure its a dumb question. But would I only need cross feed on one or both? Iv'e never noticed this in specs is there something I should look for to see if a item has it? Thanks in advance!  Vince

I've tried the cross feed on the E12 (connected to my X5, which also has no cross feed function) and it worked perfectly fine. Just not my kinda thing/sound though...I'm on the fence of ordering an E12A myself and probably selling my E12 (although it has great bass boost) later on, because I'm using iems most of the time...

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #292 of 1,334
So...got my e12a today. first impressions....it's freakin loud (X3 as source). Can barely make it past 10 o clock on the volume dial with most of my phones - guess I need to buy some harder to drive ones 
biggrin.gif
So far, sounds good. Haven't done any critical listening yet, bass does seem to be better controlled than from my x3 HO. Soundstage is about the same I guess (how can you tell I'm not a reviewer). A good buy considering I got it on sale for $120 (thanks again @Pianist ).

Haven't noticed any channel imbalance...what vol. setting are you folks noticing at?

BTW my nx1 finally washed up on the Canadian shores so I should get the chance to compare in the next few days..

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #293 of 1,334

BTW my nx1 finally washed up on the Canadian shores so I should get the chance to compare in the next few days..

I´m considering the very same thing, adding an e12a to my x3. But for Shure 535. By what your saying there does not appear to be much point - bass a bit tighter.

Also, any photots you could produce would be greatly appreciated. I´m a bit on the fence about the black x3 + titanium e12 thing as well.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #294 of 1,334
  So...got my e12a today. first impressions....it's freakin loud (X3 as source). Can barely make it past 10 o clock on the volume dial with most of my phones - guess I need to buy some harder to drive ones 
biggrin.gif
So far, sounds good. Haven't done any critical listening yet, bass does seem to be better controlled than from my x3 HO. Soundstage is about the same I guess (how can you tell I'm not a reviewer). A good buy considering I got it on sale for $120 (thanks again @Pianist ).

Haven't noticed any channel imbalance...what vol. setting are you folks noticing at?

Are you using Low or High gain? I have it set to Low Gain with my X3 and Westone W40's and it gives me more volume control (rotation) to use than the higher powered E12. I hope that you enjoy it, I ran mine for two days before really giving it a listen (not here to debate the merits of that move) and to my ears it sounds more open/spacious and more neutral than my E12. I also find the Bass Boost doesn't appear to mess with the midrange...always a good thing, though I seldom use Bass Boost on either amp. Enjoy your new amp!

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #295 of 1,334
@Mr Trev: I have the same X3 + E12A set-up. Have you tried turning on the equalizer on the X3, and setting it to a flat 0 dB? I found that allowed me to play around with the E12A volume and get more range on the pot. On low gain and with EQ off I was able to hit 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock depending on the music type, but with EQ on could get 12 o'clock or higher with same volume (I tried this with all my IEMs, with a small sensitivity range of 104-107 dB, and got the same results).

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #296 of 1,334
Marat Sar,

I'm sorry for the quality of the pics, I took them quickly late last night in poor lighting (and I'm a terrible photographer) and it doesn't help that the gear is covered in lint from my jacket pocket. <grin>

http://s1037.photobucket.com/user/Tiframelock/media/X3ampE12A1_zpsa3301144.jpg.html

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #297 of 1,334
  Marat Sar,

I'm sorry for the quality of the pics, I took them quickly late last night in poor lighting (and I'm a terrible photographer) and it doesn't help that the gear is covered in lint from my jacket pocket. <grin>

http://s1037.photobucket.com/user/Tiframelock/media/X3ampE12A1_zpsa3301144.jpg.html

Thanks a ton! Helped me make up my mind. 

JDS Labs C5 it is.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #298 of 1,334

I´m considering the very same thing, adding an e12a to my x3. But for Shure 535. By what your saying there does not appear to be much point - bass a bit tighter.

Also, any photots you could produce would be greatly appreciated. I´m a bit on the fence about the black x3 + titanium e12 thing as well.

I wouldn't say there isn't a difference - I don't exactly have the most golden ears. Besides I just got it and haven't really had a huge amount of time to listen. The best time to compare is after I've had some time to get used to the e12a, then switch back to the x3 HO.

Are you using Low or High gain? I have it set to Low Gain with my X3 and Westone W40's and it gives me more volume control (rotation) to use than the higher powered E12. I hope that you enjoy it, I ran mine for two days before really giving it a listen (not here to debate the merits of that move) and to my ears it sounds more open/spacious and more neutral than my E12. I also find the Bass Boost doesn't appear to mess with the midrange...always a good thing, though I seldom use Bass Boost on either amp. Enjoy your new amp!

I'm using low gain. Switched to high once....yikes, my poor eardrums. The bass boost is nice, not too much boost, and mostly in the sub bass which is where I want it
  @Mr Trev: I have the same X3 + E12A set-up. Have you tried turning on the equalizer on the X3, and setting it to a flat 0 dB? I found that allowed me to play around with the E12A volume and get more range on the pot. On low gain and with EQ off I was able to hit 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock depending on the music type, but with EQ on could get 12 o'clock or higher with same volume (I tried this with all my IEMs, with a small sensitivity range of 104-107 dB, and got the same results).

I don't use EQ (or bass/treble for that matter), but using it does drop the output level. Although plugging in my Grado 125 did point out how thin and hollow they seem now compared to my t51. Maybe some eq will help the grados.

None of my current phones are really hard to drive, the biggest reason I bought the e12a was for a different sound sig. The biggest deal with the x3 is that the line out is so hot (1.7v). Using my iclassic I can get some more volume range (still no higher than 12 o clock tho).

This could be another reason for Fiio to implement replay gain (which they are apparently working on). Then I \ we could set the rg value fairly low (right now the default r128 setting is -23) to bring the level down. I'm going to play with this a bit on my ipod and see if that really is practical.

further impressions:  right angled cables are a PITA & amp bands suck - thankfully I have a stacking kit on the way.
I did try applying replaygain to one of my albums with dbpoweramp. Lowered the level by about -9 db, about all that did was create a noticeable hissing on the tracks. Could be I just did something wrong during the conversion.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #299 of 1,334
  This could be another reason for Fiio to implement replay gain (which they are apparently working on). Then we could set the rg value fairly low (right now the default r128 setting is -23) to bring the level down.

Sounds interesting... Yes, hopefully Fiio introduces something like that. I take it that would be in a firmware update?

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #300 of 1,334

Uploaded some photos of the E12A with my X3, as well as a couple with my "new" iPod Mini flash mod. Black + titanium combo looks pretty sweet. http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/942913/my-rigs/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back