(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #318 of 1,334
  Which non-IEMs have you tried the E12A with?

I use the HD598, which is a very easy-driving over-ear. Sounds fantastic on either low or high gain through the E12A, but a bit more spacious on high (at only about 10:30/11 o'clock on the volume pot, depending on music choice).

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #320 of 1,334
  So, that does make me want to ask the question - 

Are the graphs on the FiiO website possibly incorrect? Should they be the other way around maybe? 

It's possible that it's simply a mistake on the website. I'm hoping that James will chime in at some point. I seriously doubt that all of us are hearing the same thing...bass boost set a dB or two lower, not messing with midrange and more spaciousness. Regardless, I think you'll be very happy with it. I still love my E12 with my HE-400&500's but with my easier to drive headphones and IEM's I prefer the 12A. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #321 of 1,334

That's great news!

Is that on the high gain mode?

Yes, high gain. I find that I get more wiggle room on the E12A when I turn on the equalizer on my X3, and set it to 0 dB across the board (custom mode). This lowers the output of the X3's line out slightly, which is great for IEMs. With EQ off, I'm at around 10 o'clock volume with the HD598s, so this would probably be a good setting for driving higher power headphones.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #322 of 1,334

It's possible that it's simply a mistake on the website. I'm hoping that James will chime in at some point. I seriously doubt that all of us are hearing the same thing...bass boost set a dB or two lower, not messing with midrange and more spaciousness. Regardless, I think you'll be very happy with it. I still love my E12 with my HE-400&500's but with my easier to drive headphones and IEM's I prefer the 12A. 

Don't know much about the bass boost on the E12 as I haven't heard it. I did a little sound test with all my headphones recently with the E12A, and one of the things I listened for was the effect of bass boost. I found bass boost had minimal effect with IEM’s that are already quite bassy (like the SE215, though I did "feel" some added oomph), and on those generally lacking in bass (my UE600vi). For phones with tight but non-bass-heavy sound signature (HD598, XBA-H1, AH-c751, ATH-CKX9), bass boost added body and space.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #324 of 1,334
So I'm the only one around here use E12A with DX50 XD. Anyway at low gain it can drive 150ohm PK1 efficiently. Good amp indeed.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #325 of 1,334
The HS6 stacking kit and the carrying box came in today, so I finally completed the set:

A bit noisy here to test it right now, but should I expect a sound quality improvement with the cable that came with the stacking kit (it's also sold separately, after all)?
EDIT: Quick-check - sound is clearer, highs in particular. Not day and night change though, don't go crazy just yet. Deserves a thorougher examination.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #326 of 1,334
E12A!!!

Much, much better bass boost than C5 and more headroom on volume pot than C5. Sounds great, too. I can see owning both, which I do - but end up using E12A more.

Agreed, although I haven't heard the c5. The e12a has plenty o power to drive some full-sized phones as well. I still haven't been able to get above 11 o clock volume on low gain with any of my phones.

Thanks for the thoughts @nmatheis and @Mr Trev. My apologies for missing the feedbacks earlier but fortunately I went thru the thread again to realised that the feedbacks were meant to address my question.

Still juggling between the JDS C5 and E12A but from where I am C5 cost quite a bit more than the E12A. Thus, most probably I'll pick the E12A. Will update again.

Thanks again guys.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #328 of 1,334
Been looking for a portable amp for a while now for my DX50 and Heaven V since the HO was too noisy. I tried the E12A at the store and love it, though there are some other contenders like the JDS C5 and the Cayin C5. Wonder if anyone have heard all 3 of them? I'm more leaning toward the JDS one but I can't find a comparison of them anywhere

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #329 of 1,334
Been looking for a portable amp for a while now for my DX50 and Heaven V since the HO was too noisy. I tried the E12A at the store and love it, though there are some other contenders like the JDS C5 and the Cayin C5. Wonder if anyone have heard all 3 of them? I'm more leaning toward the JDS one but I can't find a comparison of them anywhere

There is comparison between JDS and E12A at Headfonia (E12A review).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back