New Earbuds for drumming
Jul 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bubbacritz

Head-Fier
Hello everybody
I have a bit of a delema. I have been looking around to find some really nice and just superb quality earbuds mainly for covering music. I am a drummer so i need headphones that are noise cancelling but i dont want them to block out my drums actual sound completely, just mostly. I have been looking around but it seems almost all buds have half 5 star ratings and half 1 star ratings so i dont know what to think. Im not to strict on pricing but im looking at spending around 80-200$ but ill look into anything. Im leaning towards the Monster beats tours by dr dre or the Monster Turbines right now but im not really well informed so let me know what you guys think.
Thank you
Edit: im not close minded to over the ear headphones as long as they cover all of the ear and are comfortable i just might want to also have buds for portability

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 16
I would stay away from the stuff by Monster, especially the Beats. The sound isn't that great and they're way overpriced; plus they won't give you nearly enough sound isolation from your drums.

If you're looking for less noise from your drums, look at in-ear monitors (IEM). They'll give good sound isolation and are much less hefty than noise-cancelling headphones while providing better sound. Being a drummer myself, I can say that IEMs have been a great help in stage monitoring.

The Etymotic ER6i provide accurate sound and great reduction of noise from the outside world, so you'll still hear enough of your drums while also not having to crank the volume of the earbuds to dangerous levels and risking your hearing.

If those don't suit you, check these out: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Direct-Sound-EX29-Extreme-Isolation-Headphones?sku=241218

Good luck!

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Monster Turbine Copper Pros of ebay $200: More Bass oriented.
Head-Direct RE0 $79: Analytical, netrual, very clear and detailed.
Etymotic ER4 $175: These are the most isolating earbuds out there, these can block out a ton of sound. Neutral, very good detail.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 16
After doing quite a bit of reading im going to shy away from monster so as of now i would like some advice on other high quality buds. I listen to a lot of drum n' bass, electronica, alternative, and indie.
Thank you

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 16
As of right now im leaning towards the Etymotic ER4 you recommended but im not planning on purchasing anything untill either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday so just looking for insight untill then

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Maybe but the isolation of the RE0 is much less than any Etymotic.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm also a drummer, and i don't often use iem's for monitoring, just some Hearos that cut 12dB. I've heard good things about the Etymotic ER20 plugs, but haven't tried those, i think they cut 20dB. When i do use iem's for monitoring, my "go-to" has been my Klipsch X10, and found them to be neutral and accurately produce the sound of both my kit and the bass, as well as comfortable and light when you sweat. They're not built for rough service with the thin cable though, so be careful. Are you looking to try to keep the bass player up in the mix as well as hear yourself? Different people want and need different things out of a monitor, just wondering specifically what you're seeking? Do you want an iem that you can really enjoy listening to with your portable player as well as use for monitoring?  I've not tried my DBA-02 for monitoring, but i get the feeling it might be quite a surprise winner, possibly keep that on your radar. Downside is it's not quickly available.
Do stay away from the Monster stuff for monitoring purposes, they're geared more toward and excel at a fun sound rather than an accurate one,and the microphonics on the Pro will drive you up the wall.
Hopefully you'll get some input from some people experienced with the Westone monitoring products, as they too are supposed to be excellent for isolation, neutrality and cabling. I'd love to see a drummer's input on them myself.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Im not really looking for anything for recording or monitoring purposes at this point, as of right now im no longer with a band so i've just been playing along side my music and i just like to have the music be really clear for when i do that so its as if i am playing with the group im listening to. Really this is just for my own recreational playing and i plan to also use them for just casual listening too.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Another drummer here.  I'm looking for the greatest attenuation from a (relatively) inexpensive set of earplugs.  I just ordered the Etymotic ER20 Baby Blue's, but I'd like to tap into the expertise here.  I already have tinnitus - I'm trying to preserve what hearing I have left!  What's the best protection out there?  Anyone used the custom plugs that audiologists sell?  How much of a difference is there?
Thanks, in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back