New Ear-Phones, new member help
Nov 1, 2010 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nunes013

New Head-Fier
so the people over at macrumors sent me over here because they said u guys are the best of the best at this stuff. Im starting to get into audio and becoming a audiophile. Im getting new earphones because mine are just not cutting it. My budget is $100-$150.

My choices are 

Klipsch s4i
Klipsch image one (im gonna test when it comes out)
Shure (any in price range)
Bose In-ear
Sennheiser (any)

So my story is my friend has bose quiet comfort 3's. He is obsessed with them. He thinks they are the greatest headphones made and i know he is mistaken.  My friend has sennheisers (just a cheap $20 pair). my conclusion is the bose are good, they are very expensive for what you get, it bleeds sound. The sennheisers are good but bleed sound as well. They feel chincy.  Right now  have apple in-ear and klipsch s2m.  I really like my s2m's so im leaning toward the s4i's but friends are telling me not to.  This is going to sound bad but i need one of the best for this price range because i want to show my friends what a little research will do because they just go and buy because they think they are getting the best thing.  I'm leaning toward in-ear over headphones. Also a remote with mic would be handy as well. I got the apple in-ear earphones two years ago and rushed it. Now im doing it again with a bigger price range to do it right.  

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 11
If you dont mind getting around the ear headphones, the Audio Technica ath-m50s are supposed to be very good at that price range

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 11
cool, thanks for the reply. i would use them mostly for listening to my ipod but my entire library on my computer is lossless. im looking to go into acoustics after my bachelors degree in music education so these would be great for sound recording.  the only thing i can say i dont like is the bulky design. are there others that are comparable? 

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 11
If youre going to be using these headphones for recording, I would recommend the sony mdr-V6, or mabye something like a shure srh-440

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
cool, thanks for the reply. i would use them mostly for listening to my ipod but my entire library on my computer is lossless. im looking to go into acoustics after my bachelors degree in music education so these would be great for sound recording.  the only thing i can say i dont like is the bulky design. are there others that are comparable? 

oh hf5 / hf3 then

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 11
if you like the s2m's i don't know if you'd hear much more value in the s4's, at least i didn't. have you considered the westone 1's or fischer dba-02's?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 11
the s4 and the shure 115 have both to much bass! If you want to have the best sound for your money then you need neutral iems! But
if you want/must have a lot bass then the ultimate ears 5eb were a good choice. (the problem is that they are very rare because ue/logitech don´t sell/produce them anymore)

very neutral iems are for example: RE0, RE-zero and Etymotic HF3/5 (as mark2410 says) and maybe the best: phonak audeo
because you can change the sound with several filters (neutral to very bassy)

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 11
so i brought it down to the klipsch image one (based on the good reviews ive read about them so far), the phonak audeo, and the hf5. i will make my decision soon when i research these three a little more. i always did like a little extra bass in the sound so these i feel are the best. thanks for everyones help. it was nice not getting flammed for being a newbie.  

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 11
The hf5's were my first good pair of iem's and they still constantly impress me.  They really are ridiculously good for the price and I'd definitely recommend them.  The only thing about them some people may not like is the very lean bass.  Some very low bass such as guitar bass and other very low rumbling sounds are pretty faint. Stuff like drums are fine though, they're punchy and tight and not boomy.
Another thing is the fit.  It took me a week or two to finally understand how to insert the triple flanges correctly.  The seal is extremely important because if the earphones are not sealed properly then the sound will be very off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back