New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #4,247 of 5,077
I am suffering frequent but irregular short dropouts of the audio from my DRF Red connected to an iPhone X via the recommended Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #4,248 of 5,077
Hey everyone. Apologies as I’m sure this has been asked a good amount, this is a big thread — what cables do I need exactly to connect my DFR to my Magni 3 to my MacBook Pro (2016)?

I have an older Modi 2 Uber (before upgraded to its current 4490 chip) but want to try the DFR in line-out to my Magni 3 instead.

Thank you!

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #4,249 of 5,077
Hey everyone. Apologies as I’m sure this has been asked a good amount, this is a big thread — what cables do I need exactly to connect my DFR to my Magni 3 to my MacBook Pro (2016)?

I have an older Modi 2 Uber (before upgraded to its current 4490 chip) but want to try the DFR in line-out to my Magni 3 instead.

Thank you!

USB-C to USB-A adapter to connect DFR to 2016 MacBook Pro:

https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/splitters-connectors-adaptors/adaptors/usb-a-to-c-adaptor

3.5mm to RCA to connect DFR to Magni 3:

https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-E...udioquest+3.5+to+rca&psc=1&smid=AKR88PAWTQVN2

Turn the volume up all the way on the DFR to use as a line out device.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,250 of 5,077
USB-C to USB-A adapter to connect DFR to 2016 MacBook Pro:

https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/splitters-connectors-adaptors/adaptors/usb-a-to-c-adaptor

3.5mm to RCA to connect DFR to Magni 3:

https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-E...udioquest+3.5+to+rca&psc=1&smid=AKR88PAWTQVN2

Turn the volume up all the way on the DFR to use as a line out device.

Thank you SO much!

I do have the USB-A to USB-C adapter to use my DFR with my MacBook now, so I just need those RCA cables.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #4,252 of 5,077
I am suffering frequent but irregular short dropouts of the audio from my DRF Red connected to an iPhone X via the recommended Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

No problem here, but others have reported the same problem you describe and other issues as well. So...no consensus, and no obvious culprit either.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #4,254 of 5,077
We have been with Dragonfly red for a couple of years. Dragonfly v1.2 had lasted alone for two years when current versions was released.

Is there any rumors as to whether new Dragonflies will be placed on shelf by/ in this summer? I think chip of DAC seems to be out dating, and lack of native DSD decoding could be addressable for upcoming Dragonflies.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #4,255 of 5,077
We have been with Dragonfly red for a couple of years. Dragonfly v1.2 had lasted alone for two years when current versions was released.

Is there any rumors as to whether new Dragonflies will be placed on shelf by/ in this summer? I think chip of DAC seems to be out dating, and lack of native DSD decoding could be addressable for upcoming Dragonflies.

The chip in the current DFB/DFR is capable of more but as I understand it Audioquest took the view that 24/96 was more than enough and wanted the device to be capable of being used driverless.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #4,256 of 5,077
The chip in the current DFB/DFR is capable of more but as I understand it Audioquest took the view that 24/96 was more than enough and wanted the device to be capable of being used driverless.

They should update them every 2-3 years (the DFR was released in 2016), just to stay current, esp since DAC sales are diminishing thanks to newer smartphones with audiophile-grade amps & DACs like the HTC 10 (and U11?), LG V20 & V30, and ZTE Axon 7. Also, Oppo is calling it quits on audio including their amp/DAC line, like the HA-2, which I used to own and was awesome.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4,257 of 5,077
^Dang, the news from Oppo is kinda sad. Just when I thought there was an increase in audiophile products and interest (with Tidal and the resurgence of vinyl), now we're seeing one company bow out :frowning2:

I haven't heard any rumors about a new Dragonfly, but I'd like to see one. Maybe a Dragonfly Blue with increased functions :D It seems when they come out with a new one, it's always a sonic improvement over the last. I like the sound of the DFR, but I can envision how it could sound more punchy and detailed.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,258 of 5,077
^Dang, the news from Oppo is kinda sad. Just when I thought there was an increase in audiophile products and interest (with Tidal and the resurgence of vinyl), now we're seeing one company bow out :frowning2:

I haven't heard any rumors about a new Dragonfly, but I'd like to see one. Maybe a Dragonfly Blue with increased functions :D It seems when they come out with a new one, it's always a sonic improvement over the last. I like the sound of the DFR, but I can envision how it could sound more punchy and detailed.

Yeah........Oppo sites competition from streaming as being a main reason for the Blu-ray player business being terminated. I can understand that. With the audiophile products, that's just my 2 cents about the improved smartphones b/c let's face it, MOST ppl these days (including me at this point) prefer to listen to their music from their phones b/c of the great convenience that choice brings you (and cost savings, vs. buying a second device to carry around). So it makes sense. I myself LOVED my old Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, but when HTC came out with the 10 I compared it to the HA-2 and I felt it MATCHED the quality of that $300 device, so I sold the HA-2 off right after. My current V30 is as good if not better than the 10 in terms of audio quality, so as long as these phones are available, I won't need a DFR. But we need more of these phones as I'm not sure on the HTC's newer phones' quality as I as the 10's, and though my V30 is great overall it's not fantastic in terms of camera and UI/software issues. I had texting issues and data connection issues with it which I think I've fixed, but still. The texting I switched from Textra app to Pulse app which fixed that. But data sometimes I have to restart phone to get it to work after turning off Wi-Fi. So I dunno. lol

I think there is a renewed interest in audiophile products. I keep reading how vinyl and CD sales are actually outpacing digital downloads (though only b/c streaming is getting so big, which isn't necessarily a good thing if the quality is not great), and the fact that we have these "audiophile-grade" phones coming out says something too. I think ppl like ppl who come on here will still buy amp/DACs, but the cheaper ones like the DFR might be in danger as more of these special phones come out. Samsung and Apple though are NOT releasing audiophile phones, and since they are the 2 biggest sellers, as long as they don't, the DFR and DFB both will be safe. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back