New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 19, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #3,406 of 5,077
Anyone know what the AQ Filter Driver Installer does?

Seems to have been installed on my PC at the same time as the firmware updater.

I am curious as well! Might you be the guinea pig @west0ne that @CactusPete23 and I have fervently hoped for???

... ....What is the AQ Filter Driver Installer? It downloaded with the AQ Desktop Manager program.

Anyone figure out the difference yet between AQ Device Manager and AQ Filter Driver Installer that came with the Windows 10/8 64-bit download?

Don't know... The AQ Filter Driver In staller has two buttons... One to Install, and One to Uninstall. However for me, it looks like only the Uninstall is highlighted to click. And I do not dare to possibly Uninstall something from the DFR or my PC when it works fine... So I am ignoring the filter driver installer for now..

Driver would normally be something for the PC to enable the DFR to be detected, etc....

LOL! Exactly! In the same boat, I don't dare to touch it! We need to find a guinea pig to try it out and report back to us... Mikey... Mikey! Where's Mikey?!

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #3,407 of 5,077
I am sorry but I call BS. I'm not saying their customer service is lying, they're probably honestly convinced of what they're saying. It might also very well be that as per their current implementation there's nothing that can be changed further (and please keep in mind that the Android volume issue is due to the default volume reported by the DF being too low.. which is something that *normally* can be fixed through firmware); but even if it is so, it just means that their original implementation was faulty: plenty of other dacs have no issue working perfectly with Android (with and without UAPP), and some of them aren't even advertised as a portable solution in the same way as the DF is.

Plus, as it has been pointed out, since it seems that UAPP can now provide a band-aid fix, Audioquest could very well provide a similar app to solve the issue IF they wanted to spend the money and resources. Instead they provide a "fix" which doesn't seem to fix much, which to me means that it was not tested properly. They also tell you that it depends on the specific device drivers, but give no clue as to which devices are supposed to be affected by this fix....

Companies sometimes screw up: it's unfortunate but understandable. What's not so understandable is the lack of transparency and (apparently) commitment from AQ as a company.

I am not going to defend AQ as I don't think they have done themselves any favours by advertising the DF devices as being mobile compatible knowing that they didn't work properly with Android devices and that they aren't MFi certified for iOS devices but the fact of the matter is that Android is not fully compliant with the USB audio standards and that is why the DF devices don't work properly with Android.

In a compliant OS the volume control keys would send volume control signals straight to the USB audio device but this doesn't happen with Android where the volume control is done at a software level even when a USB audio device is connected.

AQ could have easily set the default volume to 100%, this is normal for most USB audio devices that have a separate analogue volume pot but all of the volume on the DF devices is controlled internally. If the volume of the DF is set to 100% you get full volume range through the Android software but on more sensitive/low impedance headphones you get a lot of background hiss. If you control the volume using the DF internal volume control the hiss is gone so I suspect they set the default volume where they did to give the 'best' results with the widest range of headphones.

The latest update does seem to have changed the way in which the DF interacts with UAPP meaning that the hardware volume set in UAPP 'sticks' in the DF until it is unplugged so in theory I suppose AQ could develop and issue their own USB volume control app but it would still be a 'bodge' and with UAPP everytime you want to change the volume you have to stop playing audio in the other app you are using, this would be fine for an album where you can set a single volume level and leave it but of you are playing a mixed playlist you may find yourself changing volume regularly.

Finally don't forget that Android doesn't respect the Bit Depth or Samplerate of the audio being played either, this isn't just with the DF but is with all audio.

If a real fix is needed for USB audio it needs to be done by Android.

May 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,408 of 5,077
I am not going to defend AQ as I don't think they have done themselves any favours by advertising the DF devices as being mobile compatible knowing that they didn't work properly with Android devices and that they aren't MFi certified for iOS devices but the fact of the matter is that Android is not fully compliant with the USB audio standards and that is why the DF devices don't work properly with Android.

In a compliant OS the volume control keys would send volume control signals straight to the USB audio device but this doesn't happen with Android where the volume control is done at a software level even when a USB audio device is connected.

AQ could have easily set the default volume to 100%, this is normal for most USB audio devices that have a separate analogue volume pot but all of the volume on the DF devices is controlled internally. If the volume of the DF is set to 100% you get full volume range through the Android software but on more sensitive/low impedance headphones you get a lot of background hiss. If you control the volume using the DF internal volume control the hiss is gone so I suspect they set the default volume where they did to give the 'best' results with the widest range of headphones.

The latest update does seem to have changed the way in which the DF interacts with UAPP meaning that the hardware volume set in UAPP 'sticks' in the DF until it is unplugged so in theory I suppose AQ could develop and issue their own USB volume control app but it would still be a 'bodge' and with UAPP everytime you want to change the volume you have to stop playing audio in the other app you are using, this would be fine for an album where you can set a single volume level and leave it but of you are playing a mixed playlist you may find yourself changing volume regularly.

Finally don't forget that Android doesn't respect the Bit Depth or Samplerate of the audio being played either, this isn't just with the DF but is with all audio.

If a real fix is needed for USB audio it needs to be done by Android.

Thanks for this info, it explains why I was getting two different volume adjustments. It also explains why android seemed oblivious to the quality of content I played where as UAPP(with its USB driver) communicated to DFR correctly.

May 20, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3,409 of 5,077
I recently switched from an iPhone to the Samsung S8, very happy with the choice, but my DFR red was not. So far the only audio I get when DFR is plugged into the phone it's off of my SD card/ UAPP interface. I cannot get any audio from standard streaming apps like spotify / Google play, unless I remove DFR.

Is this the same volume issue this thread has been reporting all along, or is there an android setting I am missing to force audio through the usb driver?

I have not yet updated my DFR to 1.06, any help appreciated and thanks!

May 20, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,410 of 5,077
I recently switched from an iPhone to the Samsung S8, very happy with the choice, but my DFR red was not. So far the only audio I get when DFR is plugged into the phone it's off of my SD card/ UAPP interface. I cannot get any audio from standard streaming apps like spotify / Google play, unless I remove DFR.

Is this the same volume issue this thread has been reporting all along, or is there an android setting I am missing to force audio through the usb driver?

I have not yet updated my DFR to 1.06, any help appreciated and thanks!

Please try this:

Connect your Red to your device -> Open UAPP and play something -> set volume to the max and then stop (so you don't blow your ears/headphones) -> exit UAPP (close it by pressing "x" on the notification tray) -> open any music app (in my case Tidal and Sony's own music app) -> play.

I don't know what UAPP does, but basically, if you set the volume to the max, play a few secs, stop, completely exit UAPP, the volume output works (it's as if UAPP's usb drivers remain active) for anything on the device.

May 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,411 of 5,077
The problem with Android drivers not working should make owners of fragmented devices run for the hills at the sight of a Dragonfly. Despite the fact that purchasing one of these marvellous Audioquest devices may not work, very little due diligence is done by some consumers who then run here with their horror stories. Hello McFly??? Despite my handle, in this case Apple equates to good and Android is bad when purchasing a stick. Audioquest does not guarantee that its product will work with Android phones, it declares that it will work with "some." Truly I don't understand the weeping and gnashing of teeth when it comes to this product.

May 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #3,412 of 5,077
I'm so frustrated with my DFB 1.5, it doesn't work with my iPhone SE because it stop working after minute or two with text saying accessorie is not supported by this phone, and it doesen't work with my Samsung Galaxy 4, all I hear is loud distorted noise.

May 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3,413 of 5,077
I'm so frustrated with my DFB 1.5, it doesn't work with my iPhone SE because it stop working after minute or two with text saying accessorie is not supported by this phone, and it doesen't work with my Samsung Galaxy 4, all I hear is loud distorted noise.
"Rotten" Apple had a problem in the second to last release of their update that affected the iPhone SE and its audio drivers. Two or three days ago a new update came out that fixed that issue. If you didn't update it should fix the issue. If you did update and still have the problem do a hard reset and that should fix it. I use one of my old iPhones around the house - the 5s without problems.

All the best!

May 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,414 of 5,077
The problem with Android drivers not working should make owners of fragmented devices run for the hills at the sight of a Dragonfly. Despite the fact that purchasing one of these marvellous Audioquest devices may not work, very little due diligence is done by some consumers who then run here with their horror stories. Hello McFly??? Despite my handle, in this case Apple equates to good and Android is bad when purchasing a stick. Audioquest does not guarantee that its product will work with Android phones, it declares that it will work with "some." Truly I don't understand the weeping and gnashing of teeth when it comes to this product.

Well it's rather simple:

a) Audioquest marketed the hell out of their new Dragonflies boosting that they're smarpthone comaptible (not Apple, smartphone, which means also 99% of other non Apple smartphones)

b) Virtually any other previous DAC that I owned and tested worked with my Xperia XZ with no issues whatsoever - the issue is with the way the Audioquest communicates its volume steps to Android - which can actually be easily fixed with an app called USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO.

So I don't get how Apple = good and Android = bad when purchasing a "stick" . What does that mean? If by stick you mean DAC - nope - (besides the Audioquest Dragonfly volume reading issue - fixed easily with an app - and most probably fixed in the future with Android O which promised updated USB drivers for DAC usage) - as i've said, any Fiio, Oppo, Sony, etc DACs work flawlessly.

The newest versions of Android (Sony Xperia XZ in my case - can't speak for other devices) also has a marvelous sound coming straight out of the audio jack - I really love how my XZ sounds (though obviously not at a Dragonfly level) - and as from my experience (anyone who has done this A/B test could back me up) it sounds hands down better as far as separation, dynamic, and bass extension goes than through that 3.5mm jack that Apple sells with their new iPhones, I could say the same thing - when it comes to stand alone audio, Apple really = bad, and (some) Android (Sony) = very good.

May 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,415 of 5,077
20170520_234411.jpg
20170520_234658.jpg

Just for fun, listening to MQA tracks on my DP X1 to DF Red. It detects and renders the MQA file.

May 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,416 of 5,077
May 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,417 of 5,077
What OTG cable is that? It's gorgeous!

May 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,418 of 5,077
I have a number of those, but i prefer to use this cable as it is more soft and manageable, that's why i bought a micro to female A adapter for it. Lol

Nice setup! But I'd suggest your setup would benefit from a short Micro USB to USB cable like this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-C...739927?hash=item2334072957:g:0ogAAOxy4dNSu2ya

Really cheap and you won't need that micro USB - USB adapter, thus making your setup even more streamlined, light and portable-friendly
Nice setup! But I'd suggest your setup would benefit from a short Micro USB to USB cable like this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-C...739927?hash=item2334072957:g:0ogAAOxy4dNSu2ya

Really cheap and you won't need that micro USB - USB adapter, thus making your setup even more streamlined, light and portable-friendly

May 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,420 of 5,077
Well it's rather simple:

a) Audioquest marketed the hell out of their new Dragonflies boosting that they're smarpthone comaptible (not Apple, smartphone, which means also 99% of other non Apple smartphones)

b) Virtually any other previous DAC that I owned and tested worked with my Xperia XZ with no issues whatsoever - the issue is with the way the Audioquest communicates its volume steps to Android - which can actually be easily fixed with an app called USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO.

So I don't get how Apple = good and Android = bad when purchasing a "stick" . What does that mean? If by stick you mean DAC - nope - (besides the Audioquest Dragonfly volume reading issue - fixed easily with an app - and most probably fixed in the future with Android O which promised updated USB drivers for DAC usage) - as i've said, any Fiio, Oppo, Sony, etc DACs work flawlessly.

The newest versions of Android (Sony Xperia XZ in my case - can't speak for other devices) also has a marvelous sound coming straight out of the audio jack - I really love how my XZ sounds (though obviously not at a Dragonfly level) - and as from my experience (anyone who has done this A/B test could back me up) it sounds hands down better as far as separation, dynamic, and bass extension goes than through that 3.5mm jack that Apple sells with their new iPhones, I could say the same thing - when it comes to stand alone audio, Apple really = bad, and (some) Android (Sony) = very good.

This is not an Apple vs Android post. This is simply an observation of what Audioquest has done when releasing its Red and Black DACs which resemble "USB sticks." We use these sticks in North America. Audioquest made it easy for Apple to use its CCK to use most DACs readily usable. I use the Dragonfly Red on the road and the Mojo Chord when mobile around the house. If it is your belief that "Audioquest marketed the hell out of their new Dragonflies boosting (sic) that they're smarpthone (sic) comaptible (sic) then I would take it up with them. I have been reading Head-Fi for years and knew before purchasing that it would likely not work with my LG G5.

You state that the Dragonfly volume issue can easily be fixed with an app but then go on to say that issues will probably fixed when Android O comes out. Good luck with your stated 99% of other than Apple phones miraculously supporting Android O. Finally you bash the sound that comes directly from an Apple phone vs a Sony Xperia XZ. The purpose of this section is to comment on the Dragonfly which bypasses the phones' DAC.

The bottom line from where I see it is that those with Apple phones will have a good experience. For android, most likely Audioquest will come out with some sort of list of phones which they will support with updates. It won't be a standard per say, but at least something that let's the consumer know where they stand with respect to compatibility. If you own an Android phone it would wise to research whether the Dragonfly is right for you now, not in a future wonderland of maybes. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back