New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 18, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #3,391 of 5,077
  1. Does the DFR have more power then the fiio e10k? I'm thinking about picking one up to run out of a laptop to power a set of he400i's.

May 18, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,392 of 5,077
Also just though of this, the DFR has an output power of 2X135mw @ 32 ohms, the Fiio A3 has a total output power of 270mw @32 ohms. So since 135x2 = 270, does that mean the Fiio A3 and the DFR have the same amping power?

May 18, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,393 of 5,077
Volume issue solved! (hack-ish) - using Xperia XZ - Dragonfly RED - UAPP installed (costs)

I just solved the volume issue - please try this:

Connect your Red to your device -> Open UAPP and play something -> set volume to the max and then stop (so you don't blow your ears/headphones) -> exit UAPP (close it by pressing "x" on the notification tray) -> open any music app (in my case Tidal and Sony's own music app) -> play.

I don't know what UAPP does, but basically, if you set the volume to the max, play a few secs, stop, completely exit UAPP, the volume output works (it's as if UAPP's usb drivers remain active) for anything on the device.

Please confirm if you will.

All the best!
I can confirm that this hack works on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, Nougat 7.0. Brilliant!

May 18, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #3,394 of 5,077
Volume issue solved! (hack-ish) - using Xperia XZ - Dragonfly RED - UAPP installed (costs)

Connect your Red to your device -> Open UAPP and play something -> set volume to the max and then stop (so you don't blow your ears/headphones) -> exit UAPP (close it by pressing "x" on the notification tray) -> open any music app (in my case Tidal and Sony's own music app) -> play.

I don't know what UAPP does, but basically, if you set the volume to the max, play a few secs, stop, completely exit UAPP, the volume output works (it's as if UAPP's usb drivers remain active) for anything on the device.

All the best!

Confirmed working for me on the following:-

S7E (Exynos) - Rooted running stock 6.0.1
S5 (SD) - Running CM13
Moto G4 - Running CM13
Lenovo YogaBook - 6.0.1 Stock ROM

You can set the volume to any level and it seems to hold until you unplug the DFB. I have checked the hardware volume level using ALSA commands and they change based on the setting in UAPP so it is being done at a hardware level.

May 19, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #3,396 of 5,077

S5 (SD) - Running CM13
Moto G4 - Running CM13

You can set the volume to any level and it seems to hold until you unplug the DFB. I have checked the hardware volume level using ALSA commands and they change based on the setting in UAPP so it is being done at a hardware level.

I'm happy it's working for you guys! It seems UAPP is actually setting the max volume for the USB audio device, which as standard was read erroneously by Android when connecting the Dragonfly, in this case (it read max as step 22 out of 41 steps, which is how the Dragonflies are programmed).

This is CONFIRMED working on a non rooted device - mine is an Xperia XZ non rooted, so you don't need to worry about voiding your warranty in case some were worried.

Hopefully Android O will solve this issue, allowing us to have the proper Audioquest /other USB audio DACs with no hardware volume control functionality without the help of UAPP.

May 19, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #3,397 of 5,077
This is CONFIRMED working on a non rooted device - mine is an Xperia XZ non rooted, so you don't need to worry about voiding your warranty in case some were worried.

Just tested this on my Oneplus 3T with success.
(OnePlus 3T, stock 7.1.1, OxygenOS-version 4.1.3)

What rubs me the wrong way about this (and the previous root-fix) is that there is a solution for this albeit on the software-level that AQ keeps ignoring completely.
In other words, a signed app in the android service-domain from AQ could fix this.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #3,398 of 5,077
Just tested this on my Oneplus 3T with success.
(OnePlus 3T, stock 7.1.1, OxygenOS-version 4.1.3)

What rubs me the wrong way about this (and the previous root-fix) is that there is a solution for this albeit on the software-level that AQ keeps ignoring completely.
In other words, a signed app in the android service-domain from AQ could fix this.

I've had quite a long e-mail conversation with the Audioquest staff 2 days ago, and basically what they said is that it boils down to Android's USB drivers, on specific phones. They said that the issue is on Android's part, and it is kind of true since for example on an iPhone you don't have this issue. They also specified there's a big chance the drivers will be 100% compatible on Android O, as Google has been working with the likes of Sony and other audio manufacturers to make their phones more audiophile-friendly, and are aware of these issues. I

It is definitely software, but Android software related.

May 19, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3,399 of 5,077

S5 (SD) - Running CM13
Moto G4 - Running CM13

All the best!

Works fine on the Onkyo DP-X1 and Dragonfly Red
Thanks for solving it

May 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,400 of 5,077
Works fine on the Onkyo DP-X1 and Dragonfly Red
Thanks for solving it

Is the Dragonfly Red really an upgrade over the Onkyo DP-X1 internals? they both have Sabre DACs. I was wondering.

- Also, if it is, why not use the Dragonfly on your smartphone, since the Onkyo is basically rendered as a "music storage" device, and I bet most smartphones have a better/smoother interface.

May 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #3,401 of 5,077
I've had quite a long e-mail conversation with the Audioquest staff 2 days ago, and basically what they said is that it boils down to Android's USB drivers, on specific phones. They said that the issue is on Android's part, and it is kind of true since for example on an iPhone you don't have this issue. They also specified there's a big chance the drivers will be 100% compatible on Android O, as Google has been working with the likes of Sony and other audio manufacturers to make their phones more audiophile-friendly, and are aware of these issues. I

It is definitely software, but Android software related.

I am sorry but I call BS. I'm not saying their customer service is lying, they're probably honestly convinced of what they're saying. It might also very well be that as per their current implementation there's nothing that can be changed further (and please keep in mind that the Android volume issue is due to the default volume reported by the DF being too low.. which is something that *normally* can be fixed through firmware); but even if it is so, it just means that their original implementation was faulty: plenty of other dacs have no issue working perfectly with Android (with and without UAPP), and some of them aren't even advertised as a portable solution in the same way as the DF is.

Plus, as it has been pointed out, since it seems that UAPP can now provide a band-aid fix, Audioquest could very well provide a similar app to solve the issue IF they wanted to spend the money and resources. Instead they provide a "fix" which doesn't seem to fix much, which to me means that it was not tested properly. They also tell you that it depends on the specific device drivers, but give no clue as to which devices are supposed to be affected by this fix....

Companies sometimes screw up: it's unfortunate but understandable. What's not so understandable is the lack of transparency and (apparently) commitment from AQ as a company.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3,402 of 5,077

All the best!

Thank you so much for posting your workaround! This issue has frustrated me since last year. (Google Pixel by the way.)

May 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,404 of 5,077
I am sorry but I call BS. I'm not saying their customer service is lying, they're probably honestly convinced of what they're saying. It might also very well be that as per their current implementation there's nothing that can be changed further (and please keep in mind that the Android volume issue is due to the default volume reported by the DF being too low.. which is something that *normally* can be fixed through firmware); but even if it is so, it just means that their original implementation was faulty: plenty of other dacs have no issue working perfectly with Android (with and without UAPP), and some of them aren't even advertised as a portable solution in the same way as the DF is.

Plus, as it has been pointed out, since it seems that UAPP can now provide a band-aid fix, Audioquest could very well provide a similar app to solve the issue IF they wanted to spend the money and resources. Instead they provide a "fix" which doesn't seem to fix much, which to me means that it was not tested properly. They also tell you that it depends on the specific device drivers, but give no clue as to which devices are supposed to be affected by this fix....

Companies sometimes screw up: it's unfortunate but understandable. What's not so understandable is the lack of transparency and (apparently) commitment from AQ as a company.

Said perfectly, I couldn't agree more. Somehow the "magic" UAPP can fix the problem, but AQ can't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back