New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,376 of 5,077
Don't know... The AQ Filter Driver In staller has two buttons... One to Install, and One to Uninstall. However for me, it looks like only the Uninstall is highlighted to click. And I do not dare to possibly Uninstall something from the DFR or my PC when it works fine... So I am ignoring the filter driver installer for now..

Driver would normally be something for the PC to enable the DFR to be detected, etc....

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #3,378 of 5,077
Don't know... The AQ Filter Driver In staller has two buttons... One to Install, and One to Uninstall. However for me, it looks like only the Uninstall is highlighted to click. And I do not dare to possibly Uninstall something from the DFR or my PC when it works fine... So I am ignoring the filter driver installer for now..

Driver would normally be something for the PC to enable the DFR to be detected, etc....
LOL! Exactly! In the same boat, I don't dare to touch it! We need to find a guinea pig to try it out and report back to us... Mikey... Mikey! Where's Mikey?!

May 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,380 of 5,077
Folks I have upgraded my DF Red to be MQA capable using the Audioquest updater from their site. A couple of notes which should clear up some confusion which I am reading here and elsewhere about how to best use DF Red with Tidal MQA files:

DF Red is an MQA "renderer", not a full "decoder", so contrary to DARKO's post of a few months ago, do NOT click "passthrough MQA" in the settings. Leave that unchecked and the Tidal desktop software does the initial "unfold", then passes the file to DF to do the "final unfold"/"render". I have tested it both ways and if you tick the box to passthrough MQA then DF lights up green or blue typically, indicating it is not getting to the final MQA full unfolding. If you leave unticked, Tidal desktop app does the initial unfold, DF does the final, and you get the "bright pink" color on DF, which indicates you are getting the full MQA experience.

Michael Lavorgna explains it all very well:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained

Presumably a different DAC which does the "full decoding" vs. "final rendering" would be best served by ticking the box to passthrough MQA. Not sure if the "renderer" or "decoder" are necessarily better (probably both equal as long as render is supplied with a file which has gone through the first unfold). I think both methods get you the same result, with the renderer (such as DF Red) relying on software for initial decode while the "decoder" DAC does it all itself.

I am getting unbelievable SQ with MQA through DF Red and Noble Massdrop X (can't wait to try with Oppo PM-3s later today). Had recently been enjoying Chord Mojo as an upgrade from DF Red, but MQA on DF Red seems to bring the DF at least up to par in many respects, if not surpassing in some, the Chord Mojo.

May 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,381 of 5,077
I am getting unbelievable SQ with MQA through DF Red and Noble Massdrop X (can't wait to try with Oppo PM-3s later today). Had recently been enjoying Chord Mojo as an upgrade from DF Red, but MQA on DF Red seems to bring the DF at least up to par in many respects, if not surpassing in some, the Chord Mojo.

Same here. Just incredible SQ with the desktop Tidal application serving Masters to the DragonFly Red. It's not subtle at all. With the Nightowls, the separation, richness and especially the bass are just in another world.

May 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,382 of 5,077
Funny thing is that the Volume on my XZ works perfect with UAPP. Every app that supports audio out over usb (direct not over the Android Mixer works for me).

True, tried it as well. It's still a deal breaker yet, as UAPP does not support Tidal offline music (and when using on the go, you want offline, for obvious reasons).

I've had a lengthy discussion with the Audioquest customer support. Turns out, the issue is with Android. While there might be some Android manufacturers that did implement the proper USB drivers independently of what Android has, the issue is simply with android nougat's current USB drivers.

My xz works perfectly with many other dacs, even Fiio's small K1 which uses the device's volume. Basically from the discussion I've had with them 3 things are clear:

1) Audioquest most probably cannot do anything further to help with this issue - it's on Android's side

2) There's a pretty big chance that the updated USB drivers for DACs like the Dragonfly will be present in Android O (Audioquest staff suggested this), so until android O rolls out, we simply can only use UAPP and rely on offline music (on device) or solely streaming from services like Tidal.

3) They suggested trying the Black, as it has a different analog type of incorporated volume control (you can check out Auioquest's comparison chart on their site - it specifies the Red and Black differ in the volume control implementation). I did - same issue (though it's a bit louder - 15% i'd say). Also, there's a clear quality and output difference when used on a pc/laptop - if you can afford it, Red is definitely the way to go - though the Black is still excellent in that price bracket.

May 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,383 of 5,077
I'm so glad to hear others chime in on the great SQ from Tidal Masters thru DragonFly Red. I was over on the Chord Hugo2 forum indicating i am having second thoughts about my pre-order since the 1.06 upgrade and an afternoon enjoying Tidal Masters..I mean how much better can it get? Well there is no discussion with Chord fanboys on that forum - but I hope the MQA buzz now will get Chord to pay attention.

May 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,384 of 5,077
Volume issue solved! (hack-ish) - using Xperia XZ - Dragonfly RED - UAPP installed (costs)

I just solved the volume issue - please try this:

Connect your Red to your device -> Open UAPP and play something -> set volume to the max and then stop (so you don't blow your ears/headphones) -> exit UAPP (close it by pressing "x" on the notification tray) -> open any music app (in my case Tidal and Sony's own music app) -> play.

I don't know what UAPP does, but basically, if you set the volume to the max, play a few secs, stop, completely exit UAPP, the volume output works (it's as if UAPP's usb drivers remain active) for anything on the device.

Please confirm if you will.

All the best!

May 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3,385 of 5,077
Volume issue solved! (hack-ish) - using Xperia XZ - Dragonfly RED - UAPP installed (costs)

I just solved the volume issue - please try this:

Connect your Red to your device -> Open UAPP and play something -> set volume to the max and then stop (so you don't blow your ears/headphones) -> exit UAPP (close it by pressing "x" on the notification tray) -> open any music app (in my case Tidal and Sony's own music app) -> play.

I don't know what UAPP does, but basically, if you set the volume to the max, play a few secs, stop, completely exit UAPP, the volume output works (it's as if UAPP's usb drivers remain active) for anything on the device.

Please confirm if you will.

All the best!
You can do the same just by clicking a script 'set pcm to 100%', so what's the point playing funny games with uapp to do that..?
edit. I just checked and you need to be rooted for that, so that would be an answer for my question.
Anyway android without root is like a licking lollipop through a window. ^^

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,386 of 5,077
I just contacted Audioquest about this issue, and here is their answer:

"All operating systems other than Android have no problem with the volume level. The unfortunate thing is that each Android phone manufacturer is at liberty to include or omit whatever features they deem appropriate, and to modify the Android OS as they see fit. Unfortunately our firmware update can only do so much. We will have to revisit this to see if there is any more we can do to address this situation. I would need to contact our R&D department about this, and I regret I don’t have an answer at this time."

My device is an Xperia XZ. I suggest all other users post what Android devices they have if they encounter this issue.

I've got a Pixel, stock (not rooted or unlocked), and the new firmware does nothing to fix the issue. You'd think they'd fix it at least for the canonical implementation of the current version of Android, but nope.

May 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #3,387 of 5,077
You can do the same just by clicking a script 'set pcm to 100%', so what's the point playing funny games with uapp to do that..?
edit. I just checked and you need to be rooted for that, so that would be an answer for my question.
Anyway android without root is like a licking lollipop through a window. ^^

Well the whole point os for non rooted.

I wouldnt root my phone at all. Why? I like netflix. Netflix announced their app wont work anymore with rooted devices. Why would I root and give up Netflix? Makes no sense (for me). Other streamers will quickly follow suite: google music , tidal, amazon prime, etc

May 18, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,389 of 5,077
What is the volume problem? Using UAPP I set the "volume steps" to 50, then no problems at all with volume control in UAPP, probably you are talking about something else.

Lets say you dont wamma use uapp. You wanna use tidal or deezer or google play, and use tidal with offline playlists for listening on the go when you dont wanna use your internet. How can you do that?

May 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #3,390 of 5,077
Folks I have upgraded my DF Red to be MQA capable using the Audioquest updater from their site. A couple of notes which should clear up some confusion which I am reading here and elsewhere about how to best use DF Red with Tidal MQA files:

DF Red is an MQA "renderer", not a full "decoder", so contrary to DARKO's post of a few months ago, do NOT click "passthrough MQA" in the settings. Leave that unchecked and the Tidal desktop software does the initial "unfold", then passes the file to DF to do the "final unfold"/"render". I have tested it both ways and if you tick the box to passthrough MQA then DF lights up green or blue typically, indicating it is not getting to the final MQA full unfolding. If you leave unticked, Tidal desktop app does the initial unfold, DF does the final, and you get the "bright pink" color on DF, which indicates you are getting the full MQA experience.

Thanks for this! Up until now I was only getting blue and green but now get the bright pink.

Recently I have been using my Chord Mojo as my primary DAC and kept the DF Red in the drawer. I am looking forward to doing some listening comparisons this weekend to see if the DF has made any gains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back