New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,362 of 5,077
Volume still broken for Android. Their Download page said specifically that they've addressed the Android volume issue, but nope.

May 17, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,363 of 5,077
I just contacted Audioquest about this issue, and here is their answer:

"All operating systems other than Android have no problem with the volume level. The unfortunate thing is that each Android phone manufacturer is at liberty to include or omit whatever features they deem appropriate, and to modify the Android OS as they see fit. Unfortunately our firmware update can only do so much. We will have to revisit this to see if there is any more we can do to address this situation. I would need to contact our R&D department about this, and I regret I don’t have an answer at this time."

My device is an Xperia XZ. I suggest all other users post what Android devices they have if they encounter this issue.

May 17, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,365 of 5,077
I'm still surprised that they didn't just set the default hardware volume to 100% and then just force us to control the volume with Android software. It would have at least allowed the DFB/DFR to be used a full volume or as line-out on Android devices. As it stands even after the new firmware the default volume hasn't changed so on the DFB it's set at 44 of 64.

May 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #3,367 of 5,077
Just updated my DFR to 1.06

The volume issues with my S7 Edge (exynos, nougat) were partially solved:

1. The steep volume increase between volume level 14 to 15 is finally resolved/smoothed
2. No issues with UAPP (bit-perfect mode) - same as before
3. The maximum volume level with my SE846 playing native music players/Spotify/Tidal is still low - same as before

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #3,368 of 5,077
I just contacted Audioquest about this issue, and here is their answer:

"All operating systems other than Android have no problem with the volume level. The unfortunate thing is that each Android phone manufacturer is at liberty to include or omit whatever features they deem appropriate, and to modify the Android OS as they see fit. Unfortunately our firmware update can only do so much. We will have to revisit this to see if there is any more we can do to address this situation. I would need to contact our R&D department about this, and I regret I don’t have an answer at this time."

My device is an Xperia XZ. I suggest all other users post what Android devices they have if they encounter this issue.
Funny thing is that the Volume on my XZ works perfect with UAPP. Every app that supports audio out over usb (direct not over the Android Mixer works for me).

May 18, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #3,370 of 5,077
Screenshot_20170518-105601.png

Great. But I still cannot use MQA on UAPP (Tidal). It still resample down masters tracks (24bits but 88.2 to 44.1 and 96 to 48) as before. No issue with Tidal desktop app on Windows ("MQA detected")

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,371 of 5,077
And with two FW updates released, AQ does not make a comment on whether iOS users should update their USB 3 CCK?

May 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #3,375 of 5,077
Updated my DragonFly Black to 1.06 as well with no difficulties (WIN 10 - 64-bit)... blinked green twice or thrice, then orange twice or thrice, then blinked blue for many times. When update was finished it turned red, then turned pink until I changed it back to 24 bit 44,100 kHz where it is now sitting at green again.

What is the AQ Filter Driver Installer? It downloaded with the AQ Desktop Manager program.
Anyone figure out the difference yet between AQ Device Manager and AQ Filter Driver Installer that came with the Windows 10/8 64-bit download?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back