New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 3, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #3,271 of 5,077
Android audio settings have no effect on usb audio. The only reason UAPP does is because they designed their own drivers to interact with USB audio.

May 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #3,274 of 5,077
Got my DFR yesterday. I had the Fulla 2 but sold it because of the annoying qwerks. Decided a mobile-friendly form factor would be a plus if I ever needed it. (Using it at work most of the time) I'm enjoying it! It pairs very well with my Oppo PM-3. I think it has less power than the Fulla 2 but it's expected for its lower power draw to be iOS compatible (without powered hub). But the DAC is nice and clear. I can see how some people might think it's bright but for my laid back PM-3, it works well.

I had no issues using on my iPhone with the CCK, just plug and play.

May 3, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,277 of 5,077
I am seeing this one issue pop up. After a while, (on laptop) my DFR dies and Chrome/YouTube crashes. No sound.
When I replug the DFR, all I hear is static/white noise/popping sound. This is on a laptop dock's USB.
I try a different USB port on the laptop, and it works again.

Gotta reboot the computer for the original port to work.

This is weird, no idea how to troubleshoot it.

May 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,278 of 5,077
I am seeing this one issue pop up. After a while, (on laptop) my DFR dies and Chrome/YouTube crashes. No sound.
When I replug the DFR, all I hear is static/white noise/popping sound. This is on a laptop dock's USB.
I try a different USB port on the laptop, and it works again.

Gotta reboot the computer for the original port to work.

This is weird, no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Hideeho

If you read back a page or 2 there is someone else with the exact same problem, with the exact same programs, & both are on laptops. I typically use my DFB w/ my iPhone & in the car. I will take it in tonight & see if I can get the same issue on a desktop & then see if it happens w/ explorer/firefox. My guess is it is a problem with either Chrome or laptops (lower power on batt to USB ports?). Do either of you have the problem plugged in or on battery?

May 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,279 of 5,077
Any suggestions on an hp i could use with the dragon fly red?i'd be using it around the house. I like neutral hps.my favorite is the he560,which is my desktop hp.i'd like something i could bring around the house. Budget would be up to 300$. Was eyeing the k712 pro and the k550. I also own a he400s.

Ps.not sure what happened with my old account.can't login anymore.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #3,280 of 5,077
Hideeho

If you read back a page or 2 there is someone else with the exact same problem, with the exact same programs, & both are on laptops. I typically use my DFB w/ my iPhone & in the car. I will take it in tonight & see if I can get the same issue on a desktop & then see if it happens w/ explorer/firefox. My guess is it is a problem with either Chrome or laptops (lower power on batt to USB ports?). Do either of you have the problem plugged in or on battery?

I'm having a very similar problem. Dell laptop (E7470), when docked and DFR plugged in to USB ports in keyboard or laptop acting as a USB hub. Mostly occurs when I am listening to a MASTER (MQA) file in tidal desktop app in Windows 7, where the Sound Output device in Tidal is set to DFR. Unpredictably, the file will stop playing. If i try to play again (before or after closing out the program), I get very loud static/white noise. Have to reboot to get the device to work again. I have tried submitting bug reports/support requests to both AQ and Tidal, but no helpful response.

May 3, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,281 of 5,077
Got my DFR yesterday. I had the Fulla 2 but sold it because of the annoying qwerks. Decided a mobile-friendly form factor would be a plus if I ever needed it. (Using it at work most of the time) I'm enjoying it! It pairs very well with my Oppo PM-3. I think it has less power than the Fulla 2 but it's expected for its lower power draw to be iOS compatible (without powered hub). But the DAC is nice and clear. I can see how some people might think it's bright but for my laid back PM-3, it works well.

I had no issues using on my iPhone with the CCK, just plug and play.

I use the DFR with the PM-3 too, and also I am very happy with this combination.

May 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #3,282 of 5,077
Brand spankin' new head-fi'r here, thanks to the DFR and Monoprice's bargain-beater M1060. After coming home to both delivered on my front porch yesterday, right out of the box after only a few hours of listening bliss, I'm extremely impressed, as much by the sound as also the ability to obtain this kind of fidelity "directly" from my iPhone 7 Plus. I've enjoyed the ever-accurate Etymotic ER-4 IEM's for many years, and while they are to my ears impeccably live and engaging, the planars' open nature certainly offer a different - airy and slightly removed - yet equally-engaging experience.

While the only consistent critique of the DFR seems to be its forward nature due to the ESS9016 DAC's relatively sterile, granular tendencies, the M1060's must be a great compliment, because the combination reproduces everything as faithfully gorgeous as I recall from my ER-4's, my Axiom M80 V4 HP's (via Monoprice's ATI-made Monolith 7 amp and Pioneer Elite receiver on DAC duty w/Wolfson WM8728), and often from their live counterparts - I'm a classical/orchestral/choral music nerd and have been part of or have assisted many a recording session. This is as flat, detailed, and natural as I could imagine one finding in a portable setup, and especially for the uber head-fi cheap $500 price of admission.

My only question before deciding on this combo was: Would the DFR be powerful enough to drive large planars?

In a word - YES!

Several other reviewers had indicated both the M1060 being relatively easy to drive for a large planar, and the DFR's 2.1V output providing ample juice to all but the most demanding cans. So I took a chance. After all, with Amazon's return policy and Monoprice's 5-year warranty, "chance" was essentially a free demo. In my case, the iPhone pushes the M1060's to uncomfortable levels - and without the powered version of Apple's CCK dongle or USB hub - although only at the very upper end of the volume range. I'm not sure how the DFR's "Bit-perfect" 1-dB incremental volume control works with the iPhone, but with the paltry (and non-adjustable short of jail-breaking) 16-steps provided by the volume buttons, the increments are nearly a crude 6dB. That said, using a careful touch (*very* careful if having to man-thumb the iPhone Plus single-handed), one can make "Small moves, Ellie. Small moves..." on the app's slider, but it's still a bit cumbersome. If this is my only gripe, it's nothing in comparison to the joy otherwise delivered.

As much as this new setup has breathed new - and somewhat portable - air into my listening experience, it also uncovered level/EQ biases and production faults I'd not noticed previously. Passafire's stellar remake of their modern rock-reggae hit "Feel It" is ripe with Will Kubley's always uniquely melodic and masterful bass riffs. While uncharacteristically round and "P-Bass" for Kubley in tonality, its mix is decisively heavy and over-stated here. The many countless hours spent perfecting their complex harmonies and adding layered instrumental nuance is made perfect in this space, however. In Shostakovich's Festive Overture via John Williams and the Boston Pops from their Olympic tour de force "Summon the Heroes", the orchestra's driving build to climax is woven into a fine tapestry, but the piece's resolution with all its fantastic bass drum energy is disappointingly emasculated with obvious compression, and yet not enough with the evident jaggedness of slight clipping distortion. Granted, most of my listening was done at 44.1/16 resolution, so perhaps the added 48dB of range from a 24 bit sample would have allowed this flaw to disappear from the orchestra's final few lines of this otherwise blockbuster piece. In The Civil Wars' "I've Got This Friend" from their debut album Barton Hollow, the duo's intoxicating dance of melody leading harmony leading melody is as intimate as ever, with the space and air to seemingly portray the artists and their voices weaving back and forth all around the listener, and Joy Williams' painstaking carefulness in said harmonies is done perfect justice. Finally, in Ben Rector's piano-accompanied, life-lesson lyrical genius of "Making Money" from his album The Walking in Between, despite some grain I'd never heard before in Rector's voice, the piano was as dynamic and present as any instrument I've heard recorded, bringing a heightened sense of passion, musical wit, and care that Rector bestows both his playing as well as his singing.

In a nutshell, there's an awful lot of good, for not a lot of green, which can at times bring out the not-so-good in the listener's source material.

Am I willing to take the bad with the good? ...You bet your red, dragon-flyin' a$$... er, tail. TAIL!

Cheers!
Nick

May 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,283 of 5,077
Hideeho

I am on a Desktop PC. Problem hasn't happened for 48 hours now... but before was daily.

May 3, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3,284 of 5,077
Brand spankin' new head-fi'r here, thanks to the DFR and Monoprice's bargain-beater M1060...

...My only question before deciding on this combo was: Would the DFR be powerful enough to drive large planars?

In a word - YES! ...

Nick
About two weeks I listened to my friends new Ether C flows and his old pair of HD800s and I was really surprised my DragonFly Black perfectly drove the HD800 with just a little volume to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back