New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #3,226 of 5,077
I just received Dragonfly Black and compared it to my Echo Indigo DJx.

Echo absolutely murdered it. There was comparison on just how much better Echo is.

I feel like I fell for a snake oil trick. Dragonfly is VERY overrated.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,227 of 5,077

Echo absolutely murdered it. There was comparison on just how much better Echo is.

Well the Echo only works on older laptops with an express port. Newer laptops don't really have express ports anymore and also if you want better audio out of your phone or tablet, Echo can't do anything about that. And the Dragonfly you should be comparing to is the Red, not Black. Dragonfly Red is unbeatable at what it does (which is high quality portable audio in the smallest form factor possible for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices) and if you use the line out function and connect it to a good stereo amp and tower speakers it will show you what its DAC is ultimately capable of...

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,228 of 5,077

Not a very good comparison. AsVRacer mentioned the Echo is obsolete and a completely different form factor.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #3,229 of 5,077
I have to echo (no pun intended) the comments of Vracer & Gonzbull regarding this "comparison"

Quote:

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,230 of 5,077
Well the Echo only works on older laptops with an express port. Newer laptops don't really have express ports anymore and also if you want better audio out of your phone or tablet, Echo can't do anything about that. And the Dragonfly you should be comparing to is the Red, not Black. Dragonfly Red is unbeatable at what it does (which is high quality portable audio in the smallest form factor possible for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices) and if you use the line out function and connect it to a good stereo amp and tower speakers it will show you what its DAC is ultimately capable of...

This is perfectly said.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #3,231 of 5,077
Good news, seems like the DFR volume problem is fixed with Android Nougat 7.0! I'm using the Dragonfly Red+SE846 with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ set at 50% volume. I'm using Samsung's music player which seems to only output at 48kHz (Blue light on the DFR) compared to my S6 Edge that outputs at 96kHz (Magenta light).

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #3,233 of 5,077
Good news, seems like the DFR volume problem is fixed with Android Nougat 7.0! I'm using the Dragonfly Red+SE846 with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ set at 50% volume. I'm using Samsung's music player which seems to only output at 48kHz (Blue light on the DFR) compared to my S6 Edge that outputs at 96kHz (Magenta light).

Unfortunately that seems to be limited to your phone, because both my friends Moto G4 running stock Nougat and my G4 Play and Nexus 5 running LineageOS have low volume on the Red.

However, I can fix it by installing AlsaMixer and making a Tasker shortcut to raise hardware gain to 100%. Requires root but works.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3,234 of 5,077
Well my DragonFly is still turning off about once a day still... in the middle of listening to a track on Foobar2K.  Something in Win10 is resetting the DragonFly.  When the sound turns off the DragonFly is still Green but when I unplug and plug it back in it turns Magenta.  When I check under Advanced Options under the Device the default format has reset to 24 bit, 96,000 hz from 44,000 hz???  Very strange.  I wonder if this is a conflict between Win10 and Foobar2k???

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #3,235 of 5,077
Do you have the possibility to check please on how is the s8 and DFR volume with Spotify or Tidal?

Same thing with Spotify Premium (Extreme Quality) 50% volume and 48kHz output. I don't have Tidal, sorry. However, I don't think the DFR is necessary on the Galaxy S8 since the Snapdragon 835 chip comes with a very good amp/dac. The Exynos 8895 variant has the Cirrus Logic SC43130 according to this posting http://www.head-fi.org/t/842681/samsung-s8-s8-sound-quality/60
  1. Qualcomm Aqstic™ WCD9341 audio codec combined with Snapdragon 835 supports an audiophile grade DAC with 32-bit/384kHz support with an SNR at 115dB and ultra-low -105dB THD+N and native DSD hi-fi audio playback. Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm® aptX™ and aptX HD Bluetooth audio with 2x improved power for wireless connectivity;

Unfortunately that seems to be limited to your phone, because both my friends Moto G4 running stock Nougat and my G4 Play and Nexus 5 running LineageOS have low volume on the Red.

However, I can fix it by installing AlsaMixer and making a Tasker shortcut to raise hardware gain to 100%. Requires root but works.

Hm...
frown.gif
 I hope this is something that can be fixed via a Audioquest firmware update.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #3,236 of 5,077

No it's not. Android 7.1.2 AOSP - volume after connecting is still max at 33%.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,237 of 5,077
  Yep I have USB suspend disabled.  When it happens the DragonFly still has power (green light is on) just no sound.  I

I had completely forgotten that I had a similar-ish issue with my DFR before. I don't think it will help you, but...

My DFR would frequently (not every time) go silent on a manual track change in foobar. I thought at first it was caused by a change of bit-depth but then noticed it could do it even changing to exactly the same bit-depth and sample rate. The DFR was still on, light on whatever colour it was on the previous track, and foobar still thought it was playing (visualisation was still going) but no sound out of the DFR. For me, restarting the new track usually got the sound back and obviously something was going on as the DFR's light would flicker and then go steady again when I did that.

However, the old laptop I was using had another issue and I replaced it with an HP 800 G2 MiniDesktop. I've not had a single problem since then, about two months now.

So, maybe it was just a Windows issue that would have been solved with a reinstall or USB driver reinstall, or maybe the laptop's USB ports had a problem.

The only things I can think of to try, if I had your issue (and apologies if you've already thought all of these) are: try a different USB port; make sure the USB hub isn't shared (although that's never been a problem for me, and mine is - the MiniDesktop only has one root hub); try different output modules in foobar, like WASAPI, ASIO - make sure they are all at default settings; allow applications to use exclusive mode.

The fact that yours can do it in the middle of a track makes me wonder if Windows is trying to play a sound and causing an effect similar to mine. If not, then it sounds more serious/difficult than my issue.

Finally, if it were me, I would be tempted to order another DFR from somewhere I could return it, and try a new one, just in case. Good luck :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,239 of 5,077

I had completely forgotten that I had a similar-ish issue with my DFR before. I don't think it will help you, but...

My DFR would frequently (not every time) go silent on a manual track change in foobar. I thought at first it was caused by a change of bit-depth but then noticed it could do it even changing to exactly the same bit-depth and sample rate. The DFR was still on, light on whatever colour it was on the previous track, and foobar still thought it was playing (visualisation was still going) but no sound out of the DFR. For me, restarting the new track usually got the sound back and obviously something was going on as the DFR's light would flicker and then go steady again when I did that.

However, the old laptop I was using had another issue and I replaced it with an HP 800 G2 MiniDesktop. I've not had a single problem since then, about two months now.

So, maybe it was just a Windows issue that would have been solved with a reinstall or USB driver reinstall, or maybe the laptop's USB ports had a problem.

The only things I can think of to try, if I had your issue (and apologies if you've already thought all of these) are: try a different USB port; make sure the USB hub isn't shared (although that's never been a problem for me, and mine is - the MiniDesktop only has one root hub); try different output modules in foobar, like WASAPI, ASIO - make sure they are all at default settings; allow applications to use exclusive mode.

The fact that yours can do it in the middle of a track makes me wonder if Windows is trying to play a sound and causing an effect similar to mine. If not, then it sounds more serious/difficult than my issue.

Finally, if it were me, I would be tempted to order another DFR from somewhere I could return it, and try a new one, just in case. Good luck :)

Appreciate the feedback... yes, I am thinking it is a conflcit between Windows10 and foobar2k as my DragonFLy works fine on smartphones and other PCs.  I'll change the port used and alsotry reinstalling foobar2k and the DragonFly drivers.  Thank you.  CHeers.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,240 of 5,077

How are you able to get your dragonfly to work on the s8? I have the android dragontail plugged into the usb c to micro usb adapter that came with the phone and the dragonfly does not work!

I don't have an S8 but in the past USB devices have never worked for me through USB-C - Micro USB adapters. I believe these adapters work for charging only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back