New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 25, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #2,956 of 5,077
Just received my DFB yesterday. I'm getting hiss/noise and I'm wondering if it's defect or normal?

My listening device includes ath-a700x, cx 3.00, and two lg quadbeat 2 (an old one with one side ripped off, and another new one I got recently)

I've tried listening on my desktop, surface pro 3 (laptop), and nexus 5x (phone).

Desktop and surface pro 3 reacts the same. For cx 3.00 and new quadbeat 2, there's incredibly slight/inaudible hiss at volume 0-5% (windows speaker volume). Afterwards, increasing volume increases hiss.
For ath-a700x, incredibly slight/inaudible hiss at volume 0-25%. Afterwards, increasing volume increases hiss.
For old quad beat 2, incredibly slight/inaudible hiss at volume 0-50%. Afterwards, increasing volume increases hiss.
Listening volume is 1-4% for the cx 3.00 and quadbeat 2 (any higher my ear bursts)
Listening volume is 1-11% for the ath-a700x.

On my phone, there's a constant hiss (around the same as 25% on my desktop/surface) regardless of volume.

I have an old dac/amp fiio e07k (that the DFB was supposed to replace as the fiio started having random popping noise). This dac/amp also gives hiss. A constant (around the same as 25% with DFB) hiss regardless of the volume (in the e07k, not windows).

So um, any idea if it's a defect? Or normal? 
If it's a defect, should I return and get a new one?
If it's normal, anyone recommend a usb dac (or dac/amp) at the $100-200 range (with very low noise floor)?

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,959 of 5,077
Same here, but to me it actually sounds A LOT less bright and full. In fact, going through the CCK, Jitterbug, and Red now sounds almost exactly the same as just plugging directly into the headphone jack.

Completely disheartening.

Luckily I have a second adapter which I will NOT update. A/Bing the two shows that there is indeed a difference to the sound, so no, it's not in your head :) Something changed, and definitely for the worse.

Thank you for bringing this up. As a result I avoided updating mine. It sounds fine now. Don't fix what's not broken

Thanks again

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,962 of 5,077
Good call but I seriously doubt it is possible that the update could affect DAC quality in any way. It's just 0s and 1s transmitted through USB

That's why a couple of us were wondering what happened in the update. Another person here updated their CCK and said the sound didn't change. So far, for two of us it did, for one it didn't. 

Wondering how others upgraded. I did the upgrade with the DF plugged in; maybe for some inexplicable reason that had something to do with it?

I can't logically or rationally suss out what happened, but the change in sound is WAY too noticeable for it to be placebo effect.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,963 of 5,077
So was the "Late January" DFB and DFR update promise just smoke and mirrors?

I was hopefull this time around, but AQ blamed Tidal for their update push back than Tidal updated but again AQ did not. Same way AQ blamed Apple or Android for all their issues instead of fixing their compatibility issues themselves. AQ claims to have built their product to be compatible so it's not the device they claim it's compatible with fault, AQ should have properly tested the product first not used is customers as beta testers. AQ seems to be full of excuses with no results. Although I was hoping for a cheap portable MQA dac, I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

AQ also originally marketed DF's with firmware upgrade ability. I remember hearing this before red and black were out. I would have expected at least one firmware update, even if MQA never came out.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2,964 of 5,077
That's why a couple of us were wondering what happened in the update. Another person here updated their CCK and said the sound didn't change. So far, for two of us it did, for one it didn't. 

Wondering how others upgraded. I did the upgrade with the DF plugged in; maybe for some inexplicable reason that had something to do with it?

I can't logically or rationally suss out what happened, but the change in sound is WAY too noticeable for it to be placebo effect.

I share the same experience, things are not quite the same after the CCK 3 update. I noticed directly that the sound had changed in some way, (definitely not in a good way!)
I did remove my DFR before performing the update, but still with this result...

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,965 of 5,077

I updated my cck and hear no change but I'm using it with a mojo now and dac was not plugged in when updated. The update did ask me to disconnect everything attached to my cck cable before continuing.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2,966 of 5,077
Hi, just waiting to receive my Red so browsing reviews. Came across this guys review for Stereophile and he claims that the sound quality from an iPhone is much worse than when it's plugged into his laptop:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-red-black-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-page-2#5PHmlPYbofqeBvdZ.97
  DragonFly Black and Red with iPhone
After the experiences described above, there were no more surprises: Having now abandoned both hi-fi system and computer in favor of my iPhone 6 Plus, I didn't expect to hear grand sound from either of the new DragonFlys—and I didn't.
The fact is, even after confirming that its equalization function—available by selecting Settings, then Music, then EQ—was disabled, music played from my iPhone, with or without an outboard DAC, seemed to conform to a hi-fi–like curve, with boosted and blurry bass and, to a lesser extent, boosted highs.

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-red-black-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-page-2#yRWWZXPCHTttEuSg.99

Has anybody noticed this, I'm wondering if he's a hifi head that doesn't understand the digital analog distinction, or is it power draw? Seems odd.

Thanks. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,967 of 5,077
Yes. My DFR definitely sounds much better (a thicker, fuller sound) out of a laptop than it does from an iDevice.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,968 of 5,077
Hi, just waiting to receive my Red so browsing reviews. Came across this guys review for Stereophile and he claims that the sound quality from an iPhone is much worse than when it's plugged into his laptop:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-red-black-usb-da-headphone-amplifiers-page-2#5PHmlPYbofqeBvdZ.97

Has anybody noticed this, I'm wondering if he's a hifi head that doesn't understand the digital analog distinction, or is it power draw? Seems odd.

Thanks. 

Yes. My DFR definitely sounds much better (a thicker, fuller sound) out of a laptop than it does from an iDevice.

Almost certianly power draw. An iPhone limits the output to 100mA. If the device requires more than that then it'll trigger the "Device not compatible" message.

A bog standard USB port, hub or otherwise should be able to deliver 500mA. Given that the voltage output of a USB hub or iPhone will be 5V, then you've got a lot more power on tap with a standard USB port.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,969 of 5,077
Wow, ok, the only thing I can think is the software presents different data or the Dragonfly capitalises on an increase in power, not that I'm an expert.

Received mine, wonderful device. Really tangible improvement on my ess9018 based hifime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back