New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 20, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #2,266 of 5,077
The MFi manufacturer needs integrate that chip function into the design, and then needs to buy those chips in, which are, from what I'm told, almost permanantly in constraint, which leads to massive delays in releasing the product, and also limits availability of the product.

Weirdly it seems that if you give Apple an exclusive on your product, the supply constraint for these chips magically eases up enough so that Apple can get all the product it wants. Funny that, isn't it.

That is purely speculation and opinion. Apple keeps very tight control of their chip distribution so excess chips don't end up on secondary markets. Since you pay Apple a royalty for each of your MFi devices, they have a pretty good idea what your capacity is. If you all of a sudden ask for 10x more chips than your run rate, expect Apple to ask a lot of questions. All chip makers do this. Fact is that some Apple Mfi chips do end up in unauthorized manufacturers which is how working non-MFi certified accessories end up on Amazon.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,267 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red since last week and experience the clicking sound although my iphone 6s is on ios 10.2. But not all the time. StrNgely enough i do not have the problem when i connect the dragonfly and camera kit to my ipad mini 2. Maybe it has to do with cellular? Use it to stream Qobuz and the problem seems less with songs that are not very dynamic :)?

Sorry to hear that.  As for the iPad mini, I have four iDevices, but have never had the problem on 3 of the 4.  It seems to affect only some iDevices, and it seems pretty random, although my sense from this thread is that it affects a larger percentage of  iPhone 7's.

Cellular doesn't seem relevant.  I tried mine in the past in airplane mode with Bluetooth turned off, and the problem was still there.

Just tested my 6s again with my DFR.  This time I tried iTunes (256 kbps music stored on my iPhone), Tidal Hi-Fi and the Logitech Media Server/iPeng (CD Quality).  All with the older CCK.  During testing cellular and Bluetooth remained on.  I can still hear the odd click on all three - maybe once every 90 seconds.  This represents a 90%+ improvement over the problem I had before.  If it's not due to 10.2, I have no idea what caused this improvement.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,268 of 5,077
Hey guys, I have a pair of K7XX arriving soon and was wondering if the DFB or DFR can drive them properly. I assume not, but it would be nice if anyone here owns both pieces of kit and can provide some input.

If they indeed cannot, what do you think would be the best setup:
1) DFB/DFR + Fiio A5. A little more than 300$ and gives me the flexibility of using only the Dragonfly with my IEM and then add the A5 only for the K7XX at home.
2) Oppo HA-2SE. Around 300$, would be a catch-all solution but slightly larger for outdoor usage.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,269 of 5,077
T
Hey guys, I have a pair of K7XX arriving soon and was wondering if the DFB or DFR can drive them properly. I assume not, but it would be nice if anyone here owns both pieces of kit and can provide some input.

1) DFB/DFR + Fiio A5. A little more than 300$ and gives me the flexibility of using only the Dragonfly with my IEM and then add the A5 only for the K7XX at home.
2) Oppo HA-2SE. Around 300$, would be a catch-all solution but slightly larger for outdoor usage.
he short answer to your question is yes the Red in fact can. I use the red with my Q701 and it sounds sublime to me. Love the wide open Soundstage

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,270 of 5,077

Like @Devodonaldson I also use my Red with the Q701. It drives them without breaking a sweat.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,271 of 5,077
I agree the black will do the trick. I've had both. Not sure of your highest ohm on a few of these cans, I'm not sure about, but the Red DF drove my HD 650's almost without an issue even at 300 ohms. But as you know, more power does not suck like less power. DAC wise, on a USB stick DAC, I could not tell the difference between the two, only in the incremental difference in voltage and raw volume power.
I sold one and purchased the HA-2 SE. To me personally, I like the fact whether using it as my PC sound card, my iPhone or iPad's sound card, it is just so much easier to set all hardware to max volume, and then use the Oppo to incrementally adjust volumes with the potentiometer. I feel I am in better control doing it that way versus a USB stick that I cannot put my fingers into. Just a personal preference of mine as I feel better doing it that way.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,272 of 5,077
Stereophile's review of the Dragonflies noted that they both greatly improved the sound of a laptop or desktop but found only a slight improvement when connected to a phone or iPod. This could be a result of being powered by a computer power supply vs a battery sourced phone or iPod and iPad. Has anyone done the same comparison?

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,273 of 5,077
Question:

Does anyone use the Dragonfly red or black with a Sony NW-.A30 series player or know if they will work together?

I did a search of this thread but found no result on this question.

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #2,274 of 5,077
Stereophile's review of the Dragonflies noted that they both greatly improved the sound of a laptop or desktop but found only a slight improvement when connected to a phone or iPod. This could be a result of being powered by a computer power supply vs a battery sourced phone or iPod and iPad. Has anyone done the same comparison?

I tried my Sennheiser HD650 with the DFR and my HTC One M8 and the sound was disappointing, lacking power to drive the bass. Other members tried the DFR and Sennheiser HD650 using a laptop and the sound was great, with enough power for the bass.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,276 of 5,077

I have the DF Red and have tried it with a MacBook Air, Mac Pro, iPad Air and iPhone 7.
To me it sounds equal on whatever of the above devices, I can never go full volume with my V-Moda M-100s as it is too loud.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,277 of 5,077
Thanks. That's good news. I wanted to eventually connect the DFR to either an IPOD Touch or IPAD Mini. 

BTW does the IPAD function like an IPOD where you can connect it to iTunes on your Laptop and load songs and albums or does it run iTunes?

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,278 of 5,077
Hi, everyone, I recently bought a DFR and what I found is very interesting. [COLOR=111111]When you connect the original apple CCK and the new CCK 3.0 to DFR, the DFR sounds resolving but somewhat dry. However, when you connect apple CCK to a USB 3.0 hub powered by a portable battery, the sound is better with higher volume and much sweeter. I guess this means that, the DFR will benefit from external voltage and current in addition to iphone's own limited power output from the lightening port. That probably explain that DFR generally sounds better when connecting to computer because the advantage of drawing current from the computer's USB port. I am on iphone 6 plus with iOS 9.3.3 128GB jailbroken. I installed smallvolumestep plugin from cydia and am able to change the volume step from 16(default) to 64 and above. This will give you more precise volume adjustment for the DFR because the volume changes very dramatically when using the DFR. Overall, the sound from DFR is 20-30% better than the default iphone 6 plus' own dac. I am still waiting for the MOJO which will be arriving later today.[/COLOR]

Update: I just received the chord mojo. When playing with the chord mojo, the soundstage and the musical instrument separation is unbelievable!!! It can drive K701 and HD600 with unbelievable volumes. For classical music, DFR can drive the K701 maybe 60-70%. Chord mojo can drive these headphones 120%. The sound from the mojo is unforgettable. I am still in a little shock now because how good the mojo sounds. I would say the mojo improve the iphone 6 plus' default sound by 100%. Will have to return the DFR now.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,279 of 5,077
  I tried my Sennheiser HD650 with the DFR and my HTC One M8 and the sound was disappointing, lacking power to drive the bass. Other members tried the DFR and Sennheiser HD650 using a laptop and the sound was great, with enough power for the bass.

Well, the guys at Headfonia tried both Red and Black powered by a laptop with an HD650 and they said "The Sennheiser HD650 with its 300Ohm impedance is a harder to drive headphone and while I still prefer to listen to the HD650 on tubes, especially the Red Dragonfly made it sound very engaging and musical. Volume wise you of course have to seriously turn it up but there is headroom left." 

So I think there is not much doubt that, while plugged in a laptop, both Red and Black can drive the HD650 decently. Whereas, when plugged in a mobile device, it looks like it *might* have some power issues seeing as there are multiple people reporting it.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #2,280 of 5,077
Hi everyone, after I have read here for a long time, I finally bought a DFR. I'm quite impressed. Sounds very good with my iPad mini (iOS 10.1.1, CCK 2.0), Tidal Hifi and Koss PP. Works so far without problems. For my ears it's an huge improvement over the HO of the iPad mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back