New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2,252 of 5,077
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've search around in the forum but could not find an answer. 

I'm using Shure SE215 with the Dragonfly Black on my laptop allmost all day at work (more or less quiet environment) and the volume is way too high in normal conditions. I have to put the windows volume at 2% and reduce the volume in applications (mostly itunes, soundcloud and spotify) to around 5%. 

Does anyone else face the same issue and is it normal ? 

Thanks

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,253 of 5,077
  Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've search around in the forum but could not find an answer. 

I'm using Shure SE215 with the Dragonfly Black on my laptop allmost all day at work (more or less quiet environment) and the volume is way too high in normal conditions. I have to put the windows volume at 2% and reduce the volume in applications (mostly itunes, soundcloud and spotify) to around 5%. 

Does anyone else face the same issue and is it normal ? 

Thanks

I don't have my Red yet, but when I had a DB v1.2 a while back with a set of Grado RS1i, I found that too - way too loud for sensitive headphones. I'm hoping the DFR is a bit quieter, or has a bit more control.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,255 of 5,077
Had same issue plus the problem with Android volume. After months with no update I've sent mine back to shop and exchanged for a Chord Mojo stating not fit for purpose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,256 of 5,077
The iPhone headphone jack sounds great, and the DF buzzes and crackles like a Mofo. Surprisingly, the iPhone 7 headphone dongle actually sounds better than the built in jack on the iPhone 6. FYI, I have the HP30

Funny that you mention that about the iPhone 7 headphone dongle. I actually prefer the sound coming straight out of my iPhone 7 compared to the DFB/DFR for my IEM's. I know Im gonna get a lot of crap about that statement, but TBH, I don't have full sized cans to take full advantage of the DFB/DFR. So I don't know if its just an IEM thing, but Ive heard that IEM's in general don't benefit much from the dragonfly's.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #2,257 of 5,077
I just got an interesting information in another thread which I think it is worth to share here. It offers much more convenience, hopefully it gets close to the Red and works as promised:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-audiophile-digital-earphone-with-hi-res-dac--2#/

I just told them they need a version with a 3.5mm jack :) And Android support, of course.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,258 of 5,077

I believe you will enjoy as I owned one myself.  The DAC works well and plenty of power in the amp section.  I returned mine not for the sound, but having to use the lightning to usb dongle constantly lost signal on my I phone 6.  I ended up with the Oppo HA-2A SE for my portable rig.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,260 of 5,077
Of course they'd allow that. That's what the mfi programme is all about. You can buy all sorts of cables and headphones made with lighting cables.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,261 of 5,077
Apple needs to allow Audioquest to make a connection cable that will work with the iPhone and the Dragonfly but they won't .
Instead we are left with the lousy camera connection kit .

I'll ask you the same question I've posted several times. Did you try upgrading to iOS 10.2? My clicking problem vanished. I thought it would be more useful if people on this thread suffering the same problem could see if my experience was happenstance or a real solution, rather than simply continuing to complain. So far, unless I missed a post, nobody has reported one way or the other.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,262 of 5,077
According to someone at Audioquest it is more than becoming mifi certified. Apple would have to provide some type of chip
which would unlock the digital signal of the iphone and they will not be doing this. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,263 of 5,077
  According to someone at Audioquest it is more than becoming mifi certified. Apple would have to provide some type of chip
which would unlock the digital signal of the iphone and they will not be doing this. 

MFi certification does and requires the following:

1. License fee to Apple
  2. Apple provides the decryption chip (Lightning is basically an encrypted USB port)
  3. Apple tests your device to make sure it conforms with their power and data specs
  4. Apple reviews and approves your packaging
  5. Apple may feature your product in their stores if it doesn't compete with their products
  6. Apple provides all the technical resources you need as long as you are certified

All of the above adds cost to AudioQuest so I can't blame them if they decided not to do it. However, Audeze decided to go the MFi route with their cipher cable and they seem to be having a lot of success. The cipher cable sells for $100 and only works on their EL-8 and Sine headphones, but that is Audeze's choice not Apple.

If AQ were to go with MFi, I would advise them to just make an all-in-one device and not just a cable adapter. If they can shrink the size and just have a lightning cable attached that would be more appealing to Apple users. Even though the DFR and CCK 2.0 is a lot smaller than full size portable DAC, it still is not small and requires careful place in my pocket. The cipher cable on my Sine is really plug and play and feels like a simple cable.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,264 of 5,077

That is indeed correct, at least for anything that is MFi certified to use the Lightning port.

The MFi manufacturer needs integrate that chip function into the design, and then needs to buy those chips in, which are, from what I'm told, almost permanantly in constraint, which leads to massive delays in releasing the product, and also limits availability of the product.

Weirdly it seems that if you give Apple an exclusive on your product, the supply constraint for these chips magically eases up enough so that Apple can get all the product it wants. Funny that, isn't it.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,265 of 5,077
I have a Dragonfly Red since last week and experience the clicking sound although my iphone 6s is on ios 10.2. But not all the time. StrNgely enough i do not have the problem when i connect the dragonfly and camera kit to my ipad mini 2. Maybe it has to do with cellular? Use it to stream Qobuz and the problem seems less with songs that are not very dynamic :)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back