New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 1, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,131 of 5,077
@ilcg link?

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #2,136 of 5,077
Is the DFR still considered "bright" and/or brighter than the DFB? Or did they tweak the DFR with a firmware update?

It's neutral to a little bit bright, as in brighter tone. Bass is somewhat tight and defined but lack compare to higher end dacs. Extension treble is good and air, imaging, staging all good. I think its fair price dac.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,137 of 5,077
I dunno, is it just me or does the DFB and DFR thin out the mids? I was curious and just plugged my headphones directly into my iphone 7, and I noticed more body in the mids. Then plugged in my DFR and the mids were just less with amped up highs. I have IEM's so not sure what happens with full sized cans, but its just my observations. Anyone else noticed this?

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,138 of 5,077
I dunno, is it just me or does the DFB and DFR thin out the mids? I was curious and just plugged my headphones directly into my iphone 7, and I noticed more body in the mids. Then plugged in my DFR and the mids were just less with amped up highs. I have IEM's so not sure what happens with full sized cans, but its just my observations. Anyone else noticed this?

Mids seem fine and not thinned out to me, on both the TH-X00 PH and SHP9500...certainly better than just plugging the phones into devices directly. I mainly listen to music with the DFR on a laptop and the music most listened to contains low to midrange emphasis. The DFR is an absolutely stellar match to the TH-X00 PH's.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,140 of 5,077
Can confirm as well. Using the Dragonfly Red connected to iPhone 7 with the smaller USB adaptor. Spotify crackles and buzzes like there is no tomorrow. If Audioquest's only suggestion is to use the bigger charging usb 3 adaptor, then that is really a disappointment. I only got the Dragonfly red because of it's form factor. If I was to use the bigger adaptor, why don't I just use my Chord mojo with the smaller adaptor instead. Also, using the jitterbug did not help whatsoever. Audioquest really needs to get their crap together, or just don't advertise it saying it will work with iOS. What a load of disappointment... 

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,141 of 5,077
  Can confirm as well. Using the Dragonfly Red connected to iPhone 7 with the smaller USB adaptor. Spotify crackles and buzzes like there is no tomorrow. If Audioquest's only suggestion is to use the bigger charging usb 3 adaptor, then that is really a disappointment. I only got the Dragonfly red because of it's form factor. If I was to use the bigger adaptor, why don't I just use my Chord mojo with the smaller adaptor instead. Also, using the jitterbug did not help whatsoever. Audioquest really needs to get their crap together, or just don't advertise it saying it will work with iOS. What a load of disappointment... 

Perhaps you should blame Apple for bringing out a new phone that isn't compatible with the Dragonfly?

It is akin to blaming Shure because my se846s can't plug directly into the iPhone 7!

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,142 of 5,077
FWIW the DFR also powers the HD650s pretty damn well. I wasn't expecting that, but with volume around 80% out of my laptop (off the charger) it's SURPRISINGLY good. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,143 of 5,077

Perhaps you should blame Apple for bringing out a new phone that isn't compatible with the Dragonfly?

It is akin to blaming Shure because my se846s can't plug directly into the iPhone 7!

I think this is squarely on AudioQuest and nothing to do with Apple for the following reason:

1. DFR is not MFi certified Apple device
  2. The original CCK cables are guaranteed to do only one thing - transfer files from your digital camera to your iPad
  3. CCK is not officially supported on iPhone - you don't see any mention of iPhone on Apples product page
  4. Apple doesn't officially support any other USB protocol except for MFi

The reason why the new CCK USB 3.0 dongle seems to work better is that it is advertised and spec'd by Apple to work with general USB devices. It also has a separate lightning connector so you can power the CCK to turn it into a real USB hub without the power limit issue of their lightning port. But again, it is not officially supported on iPhone 7. When AudioQuest states "work with CCK on iOS" it is 100% their responsibility to make sure that is true.

To your Shure analog, I think it would be more fair to ask "what would Shure say if your 3rd party MMCX didn't fit their sockets?" Shure would tell you that's your problem.

I think a "fair" criticism would be:

Apple - please make a USB DAC dongle that you will support across multiple DAC vendors
AudioQuest - please make an MFi version of the DFR

BTW I cannot reproduce that distortion issue on either original or new CCK for my iPhone 7. Both work fine on Apple Music and iAudioGate apps.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,144 of 5,077

I think this is squarely on AudioQuest and nothing to do with Apple for the following reason:

1. DFR is not MFi certified Apple device
  2. The original CCK cables are guaranteed to do only one thing - transfer files from your digital camera to your iPad
  3. CCK is not officially supported on iPhone - you don't see any mention of iPhone on Apples product page
  4. Apple doesn't officially support any other USB protocol except for MFi

The reason why the new CCK USB 3.0 dongle seems to work better is that it is advertised and spec'd by Apple to work with general USB devices. It also has a separate lightning connector so you can power the CCK to turn it into a real USB hub without the power limit issue of their lightning port. But again, it is not officially supported on iPhone 7. When AudioQuest states "work with CCK on iOS" it is 100% their responsibility to make sure that is true.

I think a "fair" criticism would be:

Apple - please make a USB DAC dongle that you will support across multiple DAC vendors
AudioQuest - please make an MFi version of the DFR

BTW I cannot reproduce that distortion issue on either original or new CCK for my iPhone 7. Both work fine on Apple Music and iAudioGate apps.

You can't blame AQ because they aren't keeping up with Apple's demands that everything be certified through their insane specifications. 

Apple is the graveyard of third party anythings. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,145 of 5,077
  You can't blame AQ because they aren't keeping up with Apple's demands that everything be certified through their insane specifications. 

Apple is the graveyard of third party anythings. 

I agree, but you can't say your product works with CCK, then claim Apple is to blame when there are problems. There are plenty of DACs out there that work perfectly fine with CCK so clearly AQ is not doing something right that is fully in their control to fix.

Anyway, this is off topic and purely personal opinion so I'll stop here. At least AQ updated their product page with the latest on the CCK USB 3.0 recommendation in their FAQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back