New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #2,101 of 5,077
I scrobble all my music, and UAPP does not have that capability. I also don't have Tidal, so that's an issue as well.

You can also stream Google play music, but that's another workaround and one has to purchase another app, bubble upper. However, the square upgrade it brings, even to the 320mbps mp3s from Google music is worth it. I use all 3 ways, depending on if I'm at home, streaming, or on the road, offline Tidal using a rooted moto g4

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,103 of 5,077
The rep from Audioquest made it sound like a done deal. Pretty much radio silence on the matter lately however, so we'll see.

AQ commented not too long ago on how android is not an easy feat since there's so many different versions in use and so many different manufacturers variations. So who knows, that might be AQ bowing out on that attempt or explaining why it's taking so long.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,104 of 5,077
Check this out, guys. I might be even selling my DFR if this is pretty good for portable use.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/991035804/accessport-hi-res-audio-amplifier-for-iphone-7-cha?ref=hero_thanks

I've pulled a trigger for Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Magni 2 uber stack for a desktop use and first thought to keep DFR for portable use, however I think this one is good enough for on the go. No need to buy Apple CCK and it maintains call function (also has a separate port for charging).

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #2,105 of 5,077
Would the Dragonfly Red be a massive improvement over my current pc's mobo soundcard? (Asus Maximus VI gene. Z87). Asking because I may want to consider upgrading my setup and I know that companies like Asus, MSI, etc. are using Sabre Dacs with their newest motherboards and laptops.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #2,106 of 5,077
  Check this out, guys. I might be even selling my DFR if this is pretty good for portable use.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/991035804/accessport-hi-res-audio-amplifier-for-iphone-7-cha?ref=hero_thanks

Look at that, this is exactly what I predicted it would happen, check my posts in this thread a few months back... There is hope! Now, where is the Android version of that?
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,108 of 5,077

I've pulled a trigger for Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Magni 2 uber stack for a desktop use and first thought to keep DFR for portable use, however I think this one is good enough for on the go. No need to buy Apple CCK and it maintains call function (also has a separate port for charging).

Can you let us know how the SQ of the Bitfrost compares to the DFR when you get it?Thanks.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,110 of 5,077
I recently bought a pair of powered speakers(Kanto Yumi) and have been experimenting with feeding them from the Dragonfly Red. With the DFR set to full volume in Windows 10 with no music playing I can hear a high-pitched hum from my speakers. Doing the same thing but with the DFR connected to my Android phone I get no noise.

My question is, would adding a Jitterbug fix this?

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2,111 of 5,077
I recently bought a pair of powered speakers(Kanto Yumi) and have been experimenting with feeding them from the Dragonfly Red. With the DFR set to full volume in Windows 10 with no music playing I can hear a high-pitched hum from my speakers. Doing the same thing but with the DFR connected to my Android phone I get no noise.

Probably not, if the computer is plugged into the wall you might need a power conditioner.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,112 of 5,077

Or you may have a ground loop since it doesn't occur with the Android phone.  If so, you may need to isolate one of the components with a ground isolator.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,113 of 5,077

Well, I mean, AAW purportedly makes nice IEM but.. a 29$ DAC/AMP with all those functions probably means that the actual dac chip and amp module were sourced for a few bucks each. Don't think it's going to be much different (strictly from an output quality pow, of course it will have a more powerful amp and 24bit capabilities) from the standard phone output. then again, who know, maybe they will surprise us.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #2,114 of 5,077
Well, I mean, AAW purportedly makes nice IEM but.. a 29$ DAC/AMP with all those functions probably means that the actual dac chip and amp module were sourced for a few bucks each. Don't think it's going to be much different (strictly from an output quality pow, of course it will have a more powerful amp and 24bit capabilities) from the standard phone output. then again, who know, maybe they will surprise us.

Well, DFB 9010 chip costs $6 wholesale. DFR more "high end" 9016 is $10.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,115 of 5,077
Probably not, if the computer is plugged into the wall you might need a power conditioner.

Or you may have a ground loop since it doesn't occur with the Android phone.  If so, you may need to isolate one of the components with a ground isolator.

Thanks guys. I'll look into it once I get back from vacation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back