New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Oct 28, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,026 of 5,077
Hello everyone

I just received these Hifiman HE400S headphones & i must say, I'm disappoited.
I used 2 DAPs, and all of my music collection are 16 bit FLACs (full CD quality)

1. Fiio X3 1st Gen (which has a Wolfson HIFI DAC): even in low gain the volume is more than sufficient, yet the sound is a tiny bit more congested compared to my old Sennheiser HD598 !!!
2. Exynos Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: and the volume was not even loud enough to start judging

I heard about this AudioQuest Dragonfly (but the only issue is that it would require a 3rd party app to function properly just as an audio player, so i cant use it with youtube)

What is the best portable solution to drive these supposedly cheap, definitely troubling cans on my android phone ???
I want something that delivers good rich sound, not just a loud stick.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,027 of 5,077
  Hello everyone

I just received these Hifiman HE400S headphones & i must say, I'm disappoited.
I used 2 DAPs, and all of my music collection are 16 bit FLACs (full CD quality)

1. Fiio X3 1st Gen (which has a Wolfson HIFI DAC): even in low gain the volume is more than sufficient, yet the sound is a tiny bit more congested compared to my old Sennheiser HD598 !!!
2. Exynos Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: and the volume was not even loud enough to start judging

I heard about this AudioQuest Dragonfly (but the only issue is that it would require a 3rd party app to function properly just as an audio player, so i cant use it with youtube)

What is the best portable solution to drive these supposedly cheap, definitely troubling cans on my android phone ???
I want something that delivers good rich sound, not just a loud stick.

Change the ear pads to like the focus pads or nvx angled ones (I have an extra set if you want them cheap). I also removed the dust filter and grill on the back to honeycomb 0.25" spaced ones for much better soundstage.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,028 of 5,077

Change the ear pads to like the focus pads or nvx angled ones (I have an extra set if you want them cheap). I also removed the dust filter and grill on the back to honeycomb 0.25" spaced ones for much better soundstage.

thank you very much, but i think i finally solved the issue.
although the Fiio had better results with the sennheiser
it turned out that i was using bubble upnp app instead of the google play music app on my phone, which sounded awesome directly from my phone, way better than my Fiio.

i very happy now, i don't think i need any accessories any more.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #2,030 of 5,077
  Has anyone tried both Hifime 9018 and Zorloo ZuperDAC? They both use the same 9018k2m chip and the price is exactly the same it seems.

Check out this review of the ZuperDAC - there are comparisons with the HiFimeDIY 9018:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zorloo-zuperdac/reviews/17154

I was always curious of the difference as well, but ended up pulling the trigger on the HiFimeDIY 9018 a couple weeks ago.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #2,034 of 5,077

Any news about future firmware updates for either Black or Red?

Disappointingly, I haven't heard any positive news from anyone.
It has been some months since I posted about the volume and compatibility problems with Android, but no solution seems to have been reached as yet.

Actually a representative from Audioquest stated that they have a solution and it would be delivered in the form of a firmware update this fall. This was some time ago however and they have been silent about it lately. Hopefully they haven't run into any trouble and they will be delivering on their promise shortly.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,035 of 5,077
Actually a representative from Audioquest stated that they have a solution and it would be delivered in the form of a firmware update this fall. This was some time ago however and they have been silent about it lately. Hopefully they haven't run into any trouble and they will be delivering on their promise shortly.

yes.

we need the update.

they said by fall.

we need it.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,036 of 5,077
Humm
After updating to the latest iOS release my red suddenly stopped working on both my phone and tablet (led stays red indeed when connected..) does anyone faced this issue as well ? Could not find any complaint ok google :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,038 of 5,077
I did ... and tried both on my iPhone and my iPad ... does not work on either ... :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #2,040 of 5,077
I tried the FiiO Q1 with my MacBook Pro and iPhone7+ with B&O H6. Source is 360 bitrate and ALAC files. I did a blind test and I couldn't tell the difference and I ended up liking the MacBook Pro 2015 sound signature more than the Q1 with my B&O H6

B&O H6 are not hard to drive earphones, so I'm looking at the DFB and purchase Apple Lighting to USB 3 cable for my iPhone 7.

My question is, anyone compared FiiO Q1 or e17K to DFB? Its of cause a different segment, one is a DAC/preamp and very portable and FiiO is more dac/amp combo with dedicated power.

I'm reading through the reviews from pg 1, so it might take some time to stumble upon my answer. Thought to leave a comment to get some answers.

Also does the jitterbug really help?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back