New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Oct 24, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #2,013 of 5,077
Ture regarding Canadian cellular rates. Good that I've got Fido grandfathered plan - 5gb for $49.

well im paying $53 (cad) for 3gb... in an underdeveloped country...

luckily the competition is getting better, so im moving to a different carrier that gives me 10gb for $33 (cad)

Do you live in Western Canada? I know there are a couple of regional carriers in the western part of the country that offer some pretty good plans. Like I said there is Wind Mobile, but then there are also the issues not the least of which by far is their poor customer service rating. Couple that with uneven coverage and the lack of LTE and lack of iPhone support makes me Leary. There is more to value than just getting the bottom line best price. There are no miracle deals and as the age old adage says, if a deal seems too good to be true then it most probably is.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,014 of 5,077
well im paying $53 (cad) for 3gb... in an underdeveloped country...

luckily the competition is getting better, so im moving to a different carrier that gives me 10gb for $33 (cad)

You must
Ture regarding Canadian cellular rates. Good that I've got Fido grandfathered plan - 5gb for $49.

You must of had that plan originally with an old flip phone.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,015 of 5,077
Hi everyone,

Thinking of picking up the DF Black or maybe even the Red for my Galaxy S5. Just wondering if the Red or even the Black used with my S5 would be an upgrade in the sound vs my Fiio X3II. The smartphone experience is just so much better UI wise vs the kind of limited X3II (which I admit does have really good sound).   

Thanks for any help!!

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #2,017 of 5,077
Hi guys, just a quick question before I pull the trigger on the black version. I did start to read all this thread but it just got confusing as I love sound and stereo equipment but I'm a true luddite when it comes to technology.
I'm about to buy this in combo with the Beoplay h6 but I've just read that because the Beoplay has an inline mic, it won't work with a desktop amp. Is it the case that it will also not work with a USB style amp/dac because of this?

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #2,019 of 5,077
  Hi everyone,

Thinking of picking up the DF Black or maybe even the Red for my Galaxy S5. Just wondering if the Red or even the Black used with my S5 would be an upgrade in the sound vs my Fiio X3II. The smartphone experience is just so much better UI wise vs the kind of limited X3II (which I admit does have really good sound).   

Thanks for any help!!

i havent tested th black, but i would totally commit saying that the red is most definitely an audio upgrade from the x3II.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,021 of 5,077
  Thanks for your input. To be honest I'd like to get away with the Black as it's 100 bucks cheaper.  

Can you buy from somewhere that allows returns (Amazon) that way you can give the DFB a try and if you like it keep it, if not send it back and get the DFR. Either that or a local HiFi store that will let you try both in their listening room.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,022 of 5,077
  Can you buy from somewhere that allows returns (Amazon) that way you can give the DFB a try and if you like it keep it, if not send it back and get the DFR. Either that or a local HiFi store that will let you try both in their listening room.

Yeah in the end that's probably what I will end up doing (purchasing online). I wish there were a local hifi shop in the area to try this kind of stuff out but unfortunately that is not the case. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,023 of 5,077
  Yeah in the end that's probably what I will end up doing (purchasing online). I wish there were a local hifi shop in the area to try this kind of stuff out but unfortunately that is not the case. 

I had to do this excercise not long ago. Purchased both and I'd honestly be happy with either, but ended up giving the black to my buddy since he really likes bass. In a nutshell, my impression on both (for IEM use):

Red = More balanced and extended up top, more depth on the vocals

Black = More emphasis and extended down low, vocals a bit further back and less depth, but more analog sounding

Both = Smooth, wide/spacious sounding, musical

For pure DAC use, it's probably pretty close. For over-ear, obvi the red has more power.

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,024 of 5,077

I had to do this excercise not long ago. Purchased both and I'd honestly be happy with either, but ended up giving the black to my buddy since he really likes bass. In a nutshell, my impression on both (for IEM use):

Red = More balanced and extended up top, more depth on the vocals

Black = More emphasis and extended down low, vocals a bit further back and less depth, but more analog sounding

Both = Smooth, wide/spacious sounding, musical

For pure DAC use, it's probably pretty close. For over-ear, obvi the red has more power.

That's very helpful! Thanks!

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #2,025 of 5,077
Hi All,

am new to this forum and had been reading since yesterday noon till now on this DFB and DFR discussion. Just wondering if anybody already try either one with OPPO PM-1 ? which DF is more "compatible" ? am currently using Fiio X5ii + Fiio e17K connect through coax and want to find more portable solution with sacrifice details. plan to connect to iphone 6. initially want to decide DFR but still afraid if not really compatible with my OPPO PM-1. Any suggestion/advise will be much appreciate !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back