New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,996 of 5,077
Hi all,

I'm trying to read this thread from page 1 but finally gave up at page 88. I still can't find the answer I'm looking for and hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I am really keen to get the dragonfly red due to the many good reviews. It works for me as it is very small and portable and does not need to charge desperately (very important for me).

I'm subscribed to Tidal HiFi however I am unwilling to stream it on my mobile due to the high data cost in my country.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

My question is, am I still able to play the music from the offline mode in Tidal from my S7 edge, and still able to use the dragonfly red? I'm no tech expert so would appreciate if someone who has the same combination or the knowledge point me in the correct direction.

I am also open to other small portable DACs like the dfr, if you all may suggest.

Appreciate the advise. Thank you in advance!

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,997 of 5,077
Hi all,

I'm trying to read this thread from page 1 but finally gave up at page 88. I still can't find the answer I'm looking for and hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I am really keen to get the dragonfly red due to the many good reviews. It works for me as it is very small and portable and does not need to charge desperately (very important for me).

I'm subscribed to Tidal HiFi however I am unwilling to stream it on my mobile due to the high data cost in my country.

My question is, am I still able to play the music from the offline mode in Tidal from my S7 edge, and still able to use the dragonfly red? I'm no tech expert so would appreciate if someone who has the same combination or the knowledge point me in the correct direction.

I am also open to other small portable DACs like the dfr, if you all may suggest.

Technically, yes you can but at the moment you may find that the volume with the DFR will be too low when used with any app other than UAPP. Without UAPP you won't get proper hardware volume of the DFR which means you won't get anywhere near full volume. If you have low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs you may find that the volume is fine for you but if your headphones need a bit more power the DFR may not be suitable for your needs.

Audioquest have indicated that they will be releasing a firmware upgrade to the DFR/DFB to solve this issue but there are no signs of it yet.

If you are on a rooted S7E you can get full volume control but it does require a bit of work.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,998 of 5,077
Technically, yes you can but at the moment you may find that the volume with the DFR will be too low when used with any app other than UAPP. Without UAPP you won't get proper hardware volume of the DFR which means you won't get anywhere near full volume. If you have low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs you may find that the volume is fine for you but if your headphones need a bit more power the DFR may not be suitable for your needs.

Audioquest have indicated that they will be releasing a firmware upgrade to the DFR/DFB to solve this issue but there are no signs of it yet.

If you are on a rooted S7E you can get full volume control but it does require a bit of work.

Tks for the reply, WestOne:)
What's a rooted s7e?
Is that like a jail-broken phone?

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,999 of 5,077
Tks for the reply, WestOne:)
What's a rooted s7e?
Is that like a jail-broken phone?

Essentialy rooting Android is similar to jailbreaking the iPhone. It gives you system level access to the Android OS but also more controls over the hardware. It's a fairly simple process and there are loads of sites out there with very detailed instructions on how to do it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,000 of 5,077
Hi all,

I'm using with my Samsung S7 but with ShureSE846's which are so sensitive that even with the current volume issue its too loud on max for me with Spotify/Tidal etc. If I press volume up/down its all or nothing, but if I use the slider bar I can set the volume OK. In UAPP with proper volume control I'd blow my head of at much over 50% setting.

I also prefer convenience compared to Mojo I had (and sold). The DFR is perfect for me and use with laptops/desktops and my phone.  Should be even better once they fix the Android volume issue. Mine from further back in the thread, I just use two cases and put a piece of red electrical tape over end section to avoid getting DFR scratched/chipped.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,001 of 5,077
Hi all,

If you had continued to read through the thread for just a little more you would have found the answer to your question. Unfortunately Tidal does not allow access to downloaded music through any third party app such as UAPP. I have no idea if rooting or jailbreaking changes this as I have zero experience with either rooting or jailbreaking.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,002 of 5,077
Thanks for the replies! :)

I also emailed the staff at audio quest and was told to try this to see if it works with my android phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tauruslabs.usbhostcheck

I got this from that link:

"It appears that USB Host Support is not enabled on this device. A fixed attempt can be performed"

So i emailed audioquest to confirm again if the dfr would work with my phone,he had to assume the dragonfly red would not work with my phone.

I guess I'm going for other alternatives. Its a pity..

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,003 of 5,077

Hi, I have a galaxy s7 rooted. How do I get full volume control? At the moment, with Google play music, I tell no difference between the internal DAC and the DFB.

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,005 of 5,077
Hi, I have a galaxy s7 rooted. How do I get full volume control? At the moment, with Google play music, I tell no difference between the internal DAC and the DFB.
Hey there. Unfortunately you are not going to hear much difference between headphone jack and external Dac on Android just by plugging in. In Android, even with DAC connected, audio is run through the system first. All audio is sampled at 48. This is the main issue with Android right now. IOS gives straight playback through external Dac. Using UAPP, the drivers they use bypass Android audio and sends a pure signal to the Dac. This is the main reason for apps such as this. Tidal music is only app completely through UAPP. If you are looking for Google play music playback with pure sound you will need UAPP and Bubble UPnP app. Start UAPP as renderer in the menu then go on the Bubble app and select UAPP renderer as the player. Now you can select Google play music and stream a pure signal, and you will now definitely hear the difference. It's unfortunate we have to do this, and hopefully this issue gets fixed on Android soon. This is the case regardless of Dac used

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,007 of 5,077
Hmmm, does all the above suggest I am able to use tidal offline (not tidal stream) through UAPP and bypass the phone's internal dac directly to the dfr?

No, you cannot access downloaded content from Tidal using UAPP.Tidal does not allow any third party apps access to downloaded content due to copyright issues. If anyone can refute this please let me know. The developers of UAPP have already stated here that Tidal will not allow downloaded content to be routed through their player, streamed content only. As someone with very limited data availability this is the single biggest disappointment I have with Tidal, especially after hearing how good Tidal's hi-fi feed sounds through UAPP.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,008 of 5,077
No, you cannot access downloaded content from Tidal using UAPP.Tidal does not allow any third party apps access to downloaded content due to copyright issues. If anyone can refute this please let me know. The developers of UAPP have already stated here that Tidal will not allow downloaded content to be routed through their player, streamed content only. As someone with very limited data availability this is the single biggest disappointment I have with Tidal, especially after hearing how good Tidal's hi-fi feed sounds through UAPP.

Sorry to hear that. This is why I love T-Mobile. Even in the months where I have not used streaming video, I log over 8-10gb streaming Flac audio. Tidal streaming on UAPP + T-Mobile "unlimited" (not too 2% of users) streaming

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,009 of 5,077

Sorry to hear that. This is why I love T-Mobile. Even in the months where I have not used streaming video, I log over 8-10gb streaming Flac audio. Tidal streaming on UAPP + T-Mobile "unlimited" (not too 2% of users) streaming

Here in Ontario Canada Wind Mobile is the only carrier who offers that amount of bandwidth monthly at a reasonable price, but they have other issues such as very limited coverage area and no LTE service. Every other Carrier north of the 49th parallel charges ridiculous amounts of coin for data. It is a well known fact, especially among Canadians, that Canadians pay some of the highest mobile rates in the world.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #2,010 of 5,077
Here in Ontario Canada Wind Mobile is the only carrier who offers that amount of bandwidth monthly at a reasonable price, but they have other issues such as very limited coverage area and no LTE service. Every other Carrier north of the 49th parallel charges ridiculous amounts of coin for data. It is a well known fact, especially among Canadians, that Canadians pay some of the highest mobile rates in the world.

Ture regarding Canadian cellular rates. Good that I've got Fido grandfathered plan - 5gb for $49.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back