New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Sep 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,741 of 5,077
I'm not sure of any sound quality difference between 192/24 and 96/24, but I did not notice improvement when I turned on bit-perfect playback, so I'm hoping to be able to keep it on full-time. I only have a handful of 192/24 albums I bought off acousticsounds.com, but it'd be nice to hear them in full res with the DFR.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,742 of 5,077
  I'd be careful upgrading to iOS 10 if using a DF and listening to anything streaming. Im getting nice 'screams' every so often as it appears to be loading a buffer. Same happens on the Creative E5

I'm noticing the same thing. I believe it was the audio mixer on the iphone trying to mix in system notification sounds at 44.1khz. I specifically noticed it when I received an email and the audio was distorted. Turning on the mute switch fixed it for me.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,743 of 5,077

So a little curious about the 24-hour burn in period. Does this need to be done all at once or continuously from the get go? Or does listening to it here and there for a total of 24 hrs of listening time will accomplish the same thing?

That article is referring to warm up, not break in. After I read that article a year ago I just leave my dragonfly plugged in 24/7 in my USB hub in my work office so it stays nice n' toasty. Once the components cool down you need to warm it up again by leaving it plugged into a source.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,744 of 5,077
I am relieved that iOS 10 works with DFR. In fact, it seems Apple is enhancing external support. In iTunes, you can now see the name of your DAC as the output source. No more, crossing fingers and waiting for sound to come up wondering if the DAC is connected! Will report back when my IP 7 arrives on Friday.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,745 of 5,077

I'm noticing the same thing. I believe it was the audio mixer on the iphone trying to mix in system notification sounds at 44.1khz. I specifically noticed it when I received an email and the audio was distorted. Turning on the mute switch fixed it for me.

I haven't noticed this issue. I'm listening to a 24/96 track and just a got text and the notification sounded normal and the music muted slightly while the notification played. Haven't tried streaming though.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,746 of 5,077
Hope this isn't a threadjack, but has anyone seen this guy: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15494 monoprice reps couldn't give me info yet but i wonder how the componets might compare. More specifically does it have low enough power draw to work with the iPhone. Maybe someone has the time/$60 to throw at it to check it out...?

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,747 of 5,077
  I am relieved that iOS 10 works with DFR. In fact, it seems Apple is enhancing external support. In iTunes, you can now see the name of your DAC as the output source. No more, crossing fingers and waiting for sound to come up wondering if the DAC is connected! Will report back when my IP 7 arrives on Friday.

It makes sense that Apple would build into iOS 10 better support for external audio output devices as that will be the option with the iPhone 7 and potentially other new iOS devices. I hope they haven't done anything to adversely affect the use of USB audio devices through the CCK in favour of lightning audio devices with the iPhone 7.

As for the screams some have reported. I get that on my Galaxy S7E and Moto G(2015) when using audio through the system rather than UAPP, both devices seem to upsample audio and when system sounds such as the alarm are played it causes the screaming. Strangely on my Galaxy S5 the audio doesn't appear to be upsampled and when I get a message on that device the music just goes a bit quieter.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,748 of 5,077

It makes sense that Apple would build into iOS 10 better support for external audio output devices as that will be the option with the iPhone 7 and potentially other new iOS devices. I hope they haven't done anything to adversely affect the use of USB audio devices through the CCK in favour of lightning audio devices with the iPhone 7.

As for the screams some have reported. I get that on my Galaxy S7E and Moto G(2015) when using audio through the system rather than UAPP, both devices seem to upsample audio and when system sounds such as the alarm are played it causes the screaming. Strangely on my Galaxy S5 the audio doesn't appear to be upsampled and when I get a message on that device the music just goes a bit quieter.

Do you have hardware volume control on either of the Android devices?

Right now I am using an older iPhone 5S (iOS 10.0.1) as a DAP because Android only has hardware volume control in a specialized app like UAPP.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,749 of 5,077
drQuote:
  Hope this isn't a threadjack, but has anyone seen this guy: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15494 monoprice reps couldn't give me info yet but i wonder how the componets might compare. More specifically does it have low enough power draw to work with the iPhone. Maybe someone has the time/$60 to throw at it to check it out...?

I'll pass.. $60 is a decent chunk off a 12-month Roon subscription - money far better spent. The ZuperDAC is the only other budget DAC I'd consider, but I dont see the point when the DFB meets my needs. AQ knew what they were doing when they bundled the Roon trial with the DFB - serious gateway drug.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,750 of 5,077

I am quite interested. However, I am also eyeing an Aliexpress DAC. Shipping costs of the Monoprice USB Dac might be a deal breaker. I'll send them an email to inform about the total cost... 

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,751 of 5,077
  Do you have hardware volume control on either of the Android devices?

Right now I am using an older iPhone 5S (iOS 10.0.1) as a DAP because Android only has hardware volume control in a specialized app like UAPP.

I do have hardware control on all of my Android devices but that is only because they are all rooted. With root you can use Alsa to directly access the hardware from commandline. It's not an ideal solution but it works and I am OK with it. There have been suggestions that Audioquest are going to update the firmware to make the DFR/DFB work properly with Android but no details of when.

Without root the volume doesn't work properly unless, as you rightly say you are using UAPP.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,752 of 5,077
  I do have hardware control on all of my Android devices but that is only because they are all rooted. With root you can use Alsa to directly access the hardware from commandline. It's not an ideal solution but it works and I am OK with it. There have been suggestions that Audioquest are going to update the firmware to make the DFR/DFB work properly with Android but no details of when.

Without root the volume doesn't work properly unless, as you rightly say you are using UAPP.

Could you point me to the commands to use? I haven't used a Linux command line in some time but I want to give this a try.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,753 of 5,077
  Could you point me to the commands to use? I haven't used a Linux command line in some time but I want to give this a try.

You will need to install Alsamixer from the Play Store (BusyBox may also have the alsa commands but I'm not sure as I always install Alsamixer).

In a terminal type:-

su
alsa_aplay -l

This will list the audio devices available on your phone, if you connected the Dragonfly after booting the phone you will probably find that it is 'Card 1'. You will need this for next bit.

su
alsa_amixer -c1 set PCM 100%

The '-c1' flag points to the Dragonfly and assumes it is 'Card 1'  change the '-c1' flag to a different number depending on the number of your card.

You can also change the PCM setting, you could use a percentage or a number on the DFB the volume settings are from 0-64 so you could use PCM 32 for example which would be the same at 50%.

The volume buttons on the phone still work to change the volume but they don't affect the internal hardware of the Dragonfly so they act like software volume controls.

I personally prefer to set the Android volume controls to 100% and then adjust the output volume with the internal volume on the Dragonfly. I have been using '$cripter' from the Play Store as an easy way to control the Dragonfly Volume by running scripts on demand. 

Hope that helps.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,754 of 5,077
Finally got to compare the red and the black along with the lhlabs go1000. Black=good value for the money but lacks depth and speakers don't dissapear. A little dry and lacking in depth. A jitterbug improves the depth a little but takes the price up to 150. LH Labs GO1000 better depth and more complete sounding than the black and improves with the jitterbug as well. The Red=Blows both out of the water in detail, tightness, depth wow! The red also sounds best to me without the jitterbug in the chain. But all improve a little with the jitterbug plugged in another USB port. The change in the sound of the jitterbug in the chain vs on another USB port is always bigger but on the red, I found the jitterbug's effects less desirable in the chain.

The system tested was Magnepan MMGs and a subwoofer connected to Adcom Separates coming from JRiver 22. I also compared the black to the LHLabs a week ago on my custom DIY Horn speaker system.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,755 of 5,077

You will need to install Alsamixer from the Play Store (BusyBox may also have the alsa commands but I'm not sure as I always install Alsamixer).

su
alsa_aplay -l

This will list the audio devices available on your phone, if you connected the Dragonfly after booting the phone you will probably find that it is 'Card 1'. You will need this for next bit.

su
alsa_amixer -c1 set PCM 100%

The '-c1' flag points to the Dragonfly and assumes it is 'Card 1'  change the '-c1' flag to a different number depending on the number of your card.

You can also change the PCM setting, you could use a percentage or a number on the DFB the volume settings are from 0-64 so you could use PCM 32 for example which would be the same at 50%.

The volume buttons on the phone still work to change the volume but they don't affect the internal hardware of the Dragonfly so they act like software volume controls.

I personally prefer to set the Android volume controls to 100% and then adjust the output volume with the internal volume on the Dragonfly. I have been using '$cripter' from the Play Store as an easy way to control the Dragonfly Volume by running scripts on demand. 

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your tips.
I followed the steps and now I can use all my apps with DFB.
Very usefull information!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N9005 folosind Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back