New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 24, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,502 of 5,077
Just got the DFR. Is it worth $200.00? Yes. nicely done. Not bright at all with LCD 2.2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the feedback, but my time with that ortho tells me that you would need a very bright source indeed to achieve that outcome. One of the things I neglected to mention in relation to the WHF review is that they're often accused of giving seriously bright gear high praise because the listening room at the magazine is heavily damped (they rarely audition anything with headphones, FWIR), and that means that bright electronics / speakers often sound better to their reviewers than more balanced competitors. That comes from Brit posters on various forums, so take it with the usual grain of salt, but the consensus here is that the DFR is definitely brighter / more detailed than the Black - how that translates with our individual combination of phones / music / ears is always going to make for a fun discussion. Enjoy your new DAC.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,506 of 5,077
I know this may have been answered at some point but with the dragonfly red, as it has its own internal amp, is it still possible to use it just as a DAC(with an iPhone) and use a different amp?

Yes. Just put the volume on the DFR to full and you're good to go.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,507 of 5,077
DFR isn't bright.

Agree.

I came from the HA-2, which was too bright on the high end/too thin on the low end (for me).

DFR fixed both of those (for me).

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #1,508 of 5,077
I purchased and demoed the Chord Mojo, Ifi micro dsd and Dragonfly Red in that order.Ifi micro was way too bright for my liking.Mojo was slightly warm with fantastic detail,clarity and so on.But I could not get past that narrow sound stage. I ended up keeping DFR and returned the other two.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,511 of 5,077
I have an Orei DA21 Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter with 3.5mm Jack Support Headphone/Speaker Outputs connected to the audio out port of an iMac. The optical SPDIF cable connected to the iMac is terminated with a female TOSlink/male 1/8" plug adapter. The Orei DA21 is then connected by stereo audio cable to the CD inputs of a Sony STR-DE185 receiver. Sony MDR V6 headphones are plugged into the headphone out of the receiver.

Sound quality and stereo localization are significantly improved over merely plugging the headphones directly into the iMac audio out port.

What might be gained in audio quality by replacing the inexpensive Orei DA21 with the Audioquest Dragonfly red and JitterBug combo? I have no intention of portable use.

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,514 of 5,077
Now I only listen to music via a smartphone or PC through my Shure SE846's and have been using the amazing Chord Mojo, but after now using a Dragonfly Red for a couple of week I've more or less stopped using the Mojo !!

I'm finding the sound quality out of the DFR extremely nice paired with the SE846's and the convenience of weight/size/no battery charging coupled with minimal impact on power draw using with my Note 4 a perfect combination. No static/noise interference either like you can get if close coupling the Mojo to many phones. Dead "black" background with no "hiss" with my SE846's. For Spotify/FLAC HD music I'm really not detecting the Mojo being noticeably better but it is still noticeably better if I play back a DSD natively (White on power ball).

Can't comment on synergy with other IEM's/headphones and the Mojo will obviously drive more demanding ones better, but for most people I'd say the Dragonfly Red is going to be ideal. No need to worry if the latest phone you want has less than great audio, just get the one you like for all its other phone features and just pop the DFR inline.

As always, this is purely based on my hearing so those more "audiophile" types may detect the differences that I can't.

Unless you have demanding headphones or listen to many DSD's I couldn't now advice any of my mates to choose a £400 Mojo over a £169 Dragonfly Red and not just down to cost either.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention the Mojo does have far more levels of volume control and this is an area where the DFR may be of concern. On a PC with sensitive IEMS (9 Ohm) I can really only listen at max volume of 20 (dependant on file) and normally at 7-8 (using Spotify) which leaves little control over volume steps. Also there is still the known issue with Android OS where it thinks the max volume is at 22 (out of 64) but this is being fixed by AQ and with my SE846's being so sensitive still loud enough with my Note 4 but again with little control of volume steps until the fix (no problem if using UAPP App for locally stored MP3/FLAC/DSD etc. or streamed Tidal.).

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,515 of 5,077
DFR has a brighter and arier sound overall. But mojo sound more realistic, analog and warmer. With my lcd 2.2, DFR matches better imo even though biggest difference I hear is bass with mojo being more detailed,and hits harder. This is based on pc desktop usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back