New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,426 of 5,077
No crackling either on my initial tests; also forgot to mention that I'm only using UAPP on my S7, yet to test it on my Galaxy Tab S2 but I'm expecting the results to be the same. Listening to a mix of CD lossless and some 24bit 192khz files. 

Only listened to the SE846 so far, will pop in the Westone W40 over to weekend just for comparison's sake. 

lol, can I ask what you're pairing the Mojo with? Still a bit confused as to what cables I will need to pair the Mojo to my Samsung S7 and AK100ii. 

The mojo comes with a USB cable end, so any female USB to male usb micro works, the mojo has its own power and volume or gain control so it's pretty plug and play. It's only downside is you have to charge it after 10 hours of use. It can be used while charging but I recommend standing it up to do that or the mojo becomes very warm when charging it while playing it, also requires a second cord. The small short comings of needing to charge it over the better sound quality and easy plug and play to any format music definitely out weighs remembering to charge it for me.

If a friend or spouse wants to listen also the mojo can play a second headphone at the same time.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,427 of 5,077
  Does Dragonfly Black pump out more ampage than a Schiit Fulla?  Looking for a under $100 solution for a Fostex T50RP Mark 3

no, the fulla is considerably more powerful than the df black. I believe the black puts out about 45mw. the red about 135mw. the fulla puts out 200mw, all at 32ohm. the fostex sounds best with some more power behind them, I'd suggest something like a magni 2, which puts out about 1.2watts (1200mw) at 32ohm. of course you don't have a dac, going that route, but you can save up for a modi or other dac down the line. in my experience, planars like power, feed them well to get them sounding their best.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,428 of 5,077
I bought the DFB, figuring I'd also buy a Mojo (which is being delivered this week). The Black is cheap enough to keep both, and I'll probably use the Black mostly for portability with my iPhone.

Though the Red sounds nice, it's hard to justify the extra money for minor improvements if you plan to also get a Mojo.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,429 of 5,077
no, the fulla is considerably more powerful than the df black. I believe the black puts out about 45mw. the red about 135mw. the fulla puts out 200mw, all at 32ohm. the fostex sounds best with some more power behind them, I'd suggest something like a magni 2, which puts out about 1.2watts (1200mw) at 32ohm. of course you don't have a dac, going that route, but you can save up for a modi or other dac down the line. in my experience, planars like power, feed them well to get them sounding their best.

Not sure on the DFB, but the DFR drives T50RP & T40RP Mark III's INCREDIBLY well... just as well as my Meier Audio Corda JAZZ-ff desktop headphone amp. Literally less than 1/4 volume level gain on UAPP puts it at my preferred listening level, and music sounds as good as on any other sources I've heard the T50RP and T40RP on. Anything above 1/2 gain level would probably implode your eardrums and blow your head off... I imagine the DFB would drive them just fine, but not as good as the DFR...

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,430 of 5,077
  For folks who just now got a Dragonfly Red, here is a song to hear how great it sounds on a desktop system: "Sensual" on the Lounge 2 album, by After in Paris, in 1411 from 7Digital.  Absolutely exquisite.  You'll realize what a genius you are for getting the Red!

Thanks for the album tip. This ambient/lounge music is exactly the sort of stuff I listen to at work! I don't have the DFR, but it sounds superb on my Mojo :wink:

Here are the After in Paris albums I recommend:

Lounge
Emotional
Time Cycle
Lounge 2
Pop Lounge
Lounge Paradise

The band also has a few other albums from which I snagged a few songs ("Story," "Bossa," etc.) without buying the whole album.

I found that there are some related bands: Claire Michael Quartet, and Patrick Chartol (Istanbul and Snow on Istanbul albums are the best).

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,431 of 5,077
The mojo comes with a USB cable end, so any female USB to male usb micro works, the mojo has its own power and volume or gain control so it's pretty plug and play. It's only downside is you have to charge it after 10 hours of use. It can be used while charging but I recommend standing it up to do that or the mojo becomes very warm when charging it while playing it, also requires a second cord. The small short comings of needing to charge it over the better sound quality and easy plug and play to any format music definitely out weighs remembering to charge it for me.

If a friend or spouse wants to listen also the mojo can play a second headphone at the same time.

Did I read correctly on Chord's website that with a desktop computer and speakers audio system, the Mojo cannot be used when it needs to be charged?  If that is true, I would not want the Mojo for my desktop system.  I want to listen to music on my desktop system without having to wait.  And I have enough devices (iPhone, iPad, Sony Walkman) to charge for on-the-go use.

It is nice to know that there is something available like the Mojo to get better sound.  I did look at Chord's website and I will definitely keep its products on my radar.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,432 of 5,077
Did I read correctly on Chord's website that with a desktop computer and speakers audio system, the Mojo cannot be used when it needs to be charged?  If that is true, I would not want the Mojo for my desktop system.  I want to listen to music on my desktop system without having to wait.  And I have enough devices (iPhone, iPad, Sony Walkman) to charge for on-the-go use.

It is nice to know that there is something available like the Mojo to get better sound.  I did look at Chord's website and I will definitely keep its products on my radar.

The same device can not be used to play and charge the mojo. The mojo can be charged by plugging it into the wall and still play from the computer to whatever, just can't charge on the same cord as it plays.

It has a separate micro USB plug spot for charging than for playing so two cords are required to play and charge at the same time.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,433 of 5,077
The same device can not be used to play and charge the mojo. The mojo can be charged by plugging it into the wall and still play from the computer to whatever, just can't charge on the same cord as it plays.

It has a separate micro USB plug spot for charging than for playing so two cords are required to play and charge at the same time.

Can you not just run two USBs from your laptop/desktop? A bit messy but saves running something to the wall...

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,435 of 5,077
  Yeah, that's why I pulled the trigger on Red (and glad I did as I love it). I don't use am amp with IEMs, because the only time I use my Westone W30s is at the gym or when mowing...so sound quality is not of utmost importance, and I probably wouldn't even notice the difference anyway. Instead, I use it on couch w/ laptop + full size cans (right now Hifiman HE400S). They're already pretty efficient, BUT I wanted something that would work in case I decide to get a thirstier can down the road.

My other headphone usage is "out and about" which is basically when I walk the dogs at night. I ordered Sine + Cipher cable, and am going to compare/contrast Cipher vs Red to see what my thoughts are on convenience/portability/etc.

Have you found the color-change of your dragon to be accurate? I've found it usually is when I'm playing via Roon, but inaccurate when playing via iTunes. Then it's always magenta, which is a mistake because I know the sample rate is not as high as it indicates. I can't tell if that's the fault of Dragonfly or the fault of iTunes.

The sample rate is always fixed on a Mac/windows depending on your settings (Audio MIDI setup in Mac) - not variable dependent on your file. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back