New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,411 of 5,077
Even as an apple owner I returned my dfr after the first had a manufactures defect and the second having a crackling niose that wouldn't go away.

OK, so your second DFR was also defective, unless your iDevice was being subjected to some very nasty RF noise. I have an intermittent problem with my tablet that just doesnt happen with my laptop - there's no way I can blame that on AQ, but if they have a QC issue with a batch of DF's, they need to be made aware of that.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,412 of 5,077
Android Marshmallow now supports USB Audio Routing by default, and I'm on android itself as long as the SQ is better than X1 I'll go with DFB Thank You.

Ten minutes in the main Android DAC thread on HF will quickly confirm that the problem isnt with the current version of Android, its with the manufacturers. If your phone works, great, but please dont assume that everyone else with that version of Android is so fortunate.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,413 of 5,077
OK, so your second DFR was also defective, unless your iDevice was being subjected to some very nasty RF noise. I have an intermittent problem with my tablet that just doesnt happen with my laptop - there's no way I can blame that on AQ, but if they have a QC issue with a batch of DF's, they need to be made aware of that.

No issue connecting the chord mojo, so I guess two defective dfr.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,414 of 5,077
I posted on page 89 that I had a bad experience with the Red with my car's audio system.

I just tried it again, and I had no problem this time.  I don't know what I did wrong before to get such awful sound.  This time around, the audio sounded good.  No veil or distortion.

So, I am happy to report that I am getting nice sound with the Red on my desktop 2.1 audio system, my car's audio system, and with headphones.

For folks who just now got a Dragonfly Red, here is a song to hear how great it sounds on a desktop system: "Sensual" on the Lounge 2 album, by After in Paris, in 1411 from 7Digital.  Absolutely exquisite.  You'll realize what a genius you are for getting the Red!

When I buy a new iOS device without a 3.5 mm headphone jack, I will probably purchase a second Dragonfly Red to use with my car's audio system.  I wish Apple would not get rid of the headphone jack, though.  Audio from my iPad Pro's headphone jack into my car's sound system sounds fine.

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,415 of 5,077
  Can I use my Dragonfly Red's DAC for my powered studio monitor speakers? So plug red into Windows PC, plug my speakers into the Red (windows volume at 100) and adjust volume on speakers manually for actual adjustments?

If I do all that will I be getting the benefit of the DFR DAC for my Monoprice 5" Powered Studio Monitors speakers, or will the headphone amp mess stuff up?

Yes, you can use the Dragonfly Red with desktop speakers.  I have that set up now, and it sounds very nice.  I have PSB powered speakers and a powered subwoofer.

Computer>USB>Dragonfly>3.5 mm cable>speakers. 

You will need to enable a couple of settings on your computer, but these are easy to do.  See Audioquest's website for easy to follow instructions. 

The amplification will come solely from your self powered speakers.  There will not be a conflict with amplification.  Enjoy.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,417 of 5,077
  For folks who just now got a Dragonfly Red, here is a song to hear how great it sounds on a desktop system: "Sensual" on the Lounge 2 album, by After in Paris, in 1411 from 7Digital.  Absolutely exquisite.  You'll realize what a genius you are for getting the Red!

Thanks for the album tip. This ambient/lounge music is exactly the sort of stuff I listen to at work! I don't have the DFR, but it sounds superb on my Mojo :wink:

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,419 of 5,077
After reading through all 90+ pages in here, ended up picking up the DFR with Dragontail USB OTG for Android. 

Currently listening to it on my Samsung S7E (Aus). Initial impressions is pretty good, I can understand why others have been describing it as 'bright'; probably makes things worst as I'm using the Linum Music cables which were already making my IEMs sound brighter than the stock cables. 

Had a quick A/B test against my AK100ii and for some of the tracks I tested it on, I can definitely say there is improved clarity and slightly more open sound stage coming from the DFR. Will need more time to burn in and listen to the DFR. 

After two weeks; I will probably decide on whether I keep the DFR, or sell it and move on to the Mojo. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,421 of 5,077
After reading through all 90+ pages in here, ended up picking up the DFR with Dragontail USB OTG for Android. 

Currently listening to it on my Samsung S7E (Aus). Initial impressions is pretty good, I can understand why others have been describing it as 'bright'; probably makes things worst as I'm using the Linum Music cables which were already making my IEMs sound brighter than the stock cables. 

Had a quick A/B test against my AK100ii and for some of the tracks I tested it on, I can definitely say there is improved clarity and slightly more open sound stage coming from the DFR. Will need more time to burn in and listen to the DFR. 

After two weeks; I will probably decide on whether I keep the DFR, or sell it and move on to the Mojo. 

Move onto the mojo you'll never look back. Chord DACs have amazing separation and detail without any harsh highs. You can play music at any volume low or high and have great separation with no distortion, even sound and no clicking sounds. I couldn't be happier with it, even wound up switching my home stereo DAC to the Dave shortly after over my naim DAC v1. I now understand why people are obsessed with chord DACs verse off the shelf DACs found in most portable rigs. Happy listening.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,422 of 5,077

From an equipment standpoint, I have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet with the DFR.  No issues with either device and the DFR.  No crackling, popping, etc...  Works perfectly with either device.  I'm also using the AQ USB OTG cable which fits snugly into the Samsung tablet.  Highly recommend this vs the cheap OTG cables that lurk on Amazon and eBay.  Software I'm using is Onkyo HF and Neutron on the Samsung.  Using everything on the iPhone 6: CanOpener, Onkyo HF, Relisten, Apple Music.  Really nice as it makes 256 AAC sound amazing.  Headphones are Shure SE846 (most listening) and 535's (exercising).   

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,423 of 5,077
From an equipment standpoint, I have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet with the DFR.  No issues with either device and the DFR.  No crackling, popping, etc...  Works perfectly with either device.  I'm also using the AQ USB OTG cable which fits snugly into the Samsung tablet.  Highly recommend this vs the cheap OTG cables that lurk on Amazon and eBay.  Software I'm using is Onkyo HF and Neutron on the Samsung.  Using everything on the iPhone 6: CanOpener, Onkyo HF, Relisten, Apple Music.  Really nice as it makes 256 AAC sound amazing.  Headphones are Shure SE846 (most listening) and 535's (exercising).   

For me the crackling sound came from trying to play high res music through onkyo player to the dfr or playing high res through tidal hifi(which is only cd lossless). I had no issues with Apple Music or MP3 or 44k formats issues happened with anything above that on both dfr with my iPhone 6plus or iPad or MacBookpro, but strangely only on music over 44k. No issues with same equipment and mojo or naim DAC v1 or Dave DAC.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,424 of 5,077

No crackling either on my initial tests; also forgot to mention that I'm only using UAPP on my S7, yet to test it on my Galaxy Tab S2 but I'm expecting the results to be the same. Listening to a mix of CD lossless and some 24bit 192khz files. 

Only listened to the SE846 so far, will pop in the Westone W40 over to weekend just for comparison's sake. 

Fixed that for you.

lol, can I ask what you're pairing the Mojo with? Still a bit confused as to what cables I will need to pair the Mojo to my Samsung S7 and AK100ii. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,425 of 5,077

Depends on what your criteria is -- and don't forget to take into account the total picture (not just perceived sound differences) as you make your decision...unless your ONLY criteria is sound.

Evidenced by the two responses after your post, there are obviously people who worship at the altar of Mojo. But there are also several of us in this thread who like/enjoy/respect Mojo, but prefer DFR instead for their uses (again, based on total picture).

Mojo good: great sound people swear by
Mojo bad: bulky/awkward (compared to DFR)...expensive...has to always be charged/ready before use

Good luck with your decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back