New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,126 of 5,077
  Loving my DFR but thinking about picking up an arrow amp for bass/treble controls.  Is it possible to bypass the dragonfly red's amp section so not double-amping when using an arrow amp too?

not possible to bypass the amp section, as it's integrated with the DAC output, ie the DAC output and the amp output are the same thing on the DFR, they aren't separate circuits.  The amp output volume is controlled by digital attenuation in the DAC.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,127 of 5,077
  Loving my DFR but thinking about picking up an arrow amp for bass/treble controls.  Is it possible to bypass the dragonfly red's amp section so not double-amping when using an arrow amp too?

You wont be 'double-amping' in the conventional sense if Gordon Rankin's advice re the new models is correct. Dont know about the DFR, but I'm convinced that the DFB was designed to allow you to connect an analog cable (from AQ, preferably) to an amp (speake or HA) or powered speakers, and that's exactly how the original DF models were reviewed by the majority of pro reviewers. It's no coincidence that the Red outputs 2.1V at 100% volume - almost identical to the line-out analog signal from many CDPs and desktop DACs.

The issues around double-amping (AFAIK) arose from the relatively feeble output signal that many DAPs put out - nowhere near line-level - but I'll defer to the more technically astute on that. A bigger issue, IMO, was that for many years we were stuck with whatever DAC lived inside our iPod or whatever DAP we were using - that's obviously history now. The big disadvantage of the DF (any model) over something like my ultra-cheap Topping NX2 and other conventional DAC/amps is that you cant separate the DAC from the amp : if you dont like the DAC section, too bad. I'm happy plugging the DF into my NX2 and I'm confident that I'm getting the best of both (cheap) audio toys, especially as the NX2 has the onboard volume control I prefer over the DF's digial approach. I strongly suspect that many of those who havent been happy with their black or red would be shocked by how much better that same chunk of plastic sounds with an external amp, but sadly I no longer have the Auralic Taurus so I guess I'll have to wait for more impressions.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,128 of 5,077
I am in HK and just 3 days ago I picked up the Hifiman HEX. The instruction says best with 150 hours of burn in. I am on the road for six days so I only brought the RED with me. I am cooking the HEX day and night and I can tell you the RED does it proud. The sound is massive deep and doesn't run out of steam. I will be home in 3 days and try the Mojo on the HEX and lets see?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,129 of 5,077
  I am in HK and just 3 days ago I picked up the Hifiman HEX. The instruction says best with 150 hours of burn in. I am on the road for six days so I only brought the RED with me. I am cooking the HEX day and night and I can tell you the RED does it proud. The sound is massive deep and doesn't run out of steam. I will be home in 3 days and try the Mojo on the HEX and lets see?

I would LOVE to hear impressions of the HEX with the DFR.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,130 of 5,077
Thanks friend: I also have the Nighthawk and the PM2 at home. On the red I am just driving it from my Macbook Pro. The volume has to be one click on the Mac louder then the PM2 and two clicks more then the Hawk. So the HEX needs more power to get the same sound level going. That said, the music and I am mostly classical it's no nonesense full out great. Much better then I thought. HEX takes time like the Hawk. But the Hawk too like 10 days cooking and the HEX sounded good from minute one with the RED. I do think however the Mojo will reall make the HEX shine but that's 3 days from now. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,131 of 5,077
I expect that there's a more relevant thread for this, but just wanted to say that I'm totally enjoying Ne Obliviscaris from the DFB into my Solo2 - dark material from a dark source, at Spotify Povo bitrates no less, but it sounds glorious. Progressive extreme metal mightn't be everyone's idea of sonic bliss, but the musicianship and production values are definitely a cut above the rest IMO.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,132 of 5,077
  I expect that there's a more relevant thread for this, but just wanted to say that I'm totally enjoying Ne Obliviscaris from the DFB into my Solo2 - dark material from a dark source, at Spotify Povo bitrates no less, but it sounds glorious. Progressive extreme metal mightn't be everyone's idea of sonic bliss, but the musicianship and production values are definitely a cut above the rest IMO.

I'm a terrible audiophile because I listen to extreme metal almost exclusively with a smattering of hip hop. :p Here's my album of choice today:

I like that the Solo2 is getting some love, that's a vastly underrated can in audiophile communities IMO. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,133 of 5,077
I'm really liking the DFR I recently got in a few weeks ago. It really drives my headphones well with both my Samsung Galaxy TAB S2 and Windows laptop. Pairs well with the Meier Audio Corda JAZZ-ff amp as well. Currently in the middle of quick run time testing for my android tablet with an accessory power OTG USB cable that came in today, using the Fostex T40RP Mark III. Doing quick 100% to 90% drain time check, first run with USB accessory power plugged in to a charger was 1 hour and 12 minutes. Currently charging back up the Tablet to full capacity to run it again without the accessory power plugged in.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,134 of 5,077
I have a DFB wich I use with the jitterbug as a DAC to play FLACs from my PC trough my amp Marantz PM6005 into Qacoustics 3050 speackers.
The sound with DFB is indeed a little bit darker without good details but better separation and soundstage.
So, what do you think, if i buy a DFR will it upgrade the darkness of the black and be better as the Marantz own DAC?

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N9005 folosind Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,135 of 5,077
I have a DFB wich I use with the jitterbug as a DAC to play FLACs from my PC trough my amp Marantz PM6005 into Qacoustics 3050 speackers.
The sound with DFB is indeed a little bit darker without good details but better separation and soundstage.
So, what do you think, if i buy a DFR will it upgrade the darkness of the black and be better as the Marantz own DAC?

Playing with my office PC and the DFR and a Jitterbug improved the sound to a useful degree.

Using it with the iPhone 6S ... it goes the other way and it sounds better without the Jitterbug in place.  I assume this is because power-related noise is pretty minimal from the iPhone and the Jitterbug seems to worsen jitter numbers even though it does quite well on eliminating electrical noise.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #1,136 of 5,077

Playing with my office PC and the DFR and a Jitterbug improved the sound to a useful degree.

Using it with the iPhone 6S ... it goes the other way and it sounds better without the Jitterbug in place.  I assume this is because power-related noise is pretty minimal from the iPhone and the Jitterbug seems to worsen jitter numbers even though it does quite well on eliminating electrical noise.

When using your DFR with jitterbug trough your PC, you listen through cans or speakers?

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,137 of 5,077
When using your DFR with jitterbug trough your PC, you listen through cans or speakers?

Headphones.

It was really only a test, since I don't use USB audio at all at home.

My normal office rig is a Bifrost "4490" feeding an original Lyr; the DFR is just for when I want to travel light (i.e. lighter than would be the case for me to take my Mojo, but not so light I don't even take the DFR).

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #1,138 of 5,077
I'm a terrible audiophile because I listen to extreme metal almost exclusively with a smattering of hip hop. :p Here's my album of choice today:

I like that the Solo2 is getting some love, that's a vastly underrated can in audiophile communities IMO. 

I wouldn't have considered any beats headphone without Tyll's review but even with his measurements and subjective praise I doubt they'll ever be seen as worthy peers of the other cans on his wall of fame by 'serious' portaphiles. I've copped more flack for my A-T closed can choices in the past than I have for the solo2 - their loss in both instances.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,139 of 5,077

Headphones.

It was really only a test, since I don't use USB audio at all at home.

My normal office rig is a Bifrost "4490" feeding an original Lyr; the DFR is just for when I want to travel light (i.e. lighter than would be the case for me to take my Mojo, but not so light I don't even take the DFR).

Understand.
Thanks.

My question is if DFR has a better dac as Marantzs CS 4398 dac.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,140 of 5,077
Thinking I may have Super Hearing.  I can't push the Black past 6/100 through Roon/Windows.  Mid 20's with the HD600.  I have all Sound Enhancements turned off in Windows and the Black is running in Exclusive Mode within Roon.

6 would be painful for me - an external amp was my only escape from that insane gain level. Waaaay back when nwavguy was the Antichrist here, he made special mention of any amp that had issues driving sensitive cans - fortunately they nailed the channel balance from zero volume or mine would be back at the warehouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back