New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 21, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #811 of 5,077

nah, they're all a bit easier to drive than the HD600, but the DFR had plenty of juice for all of them.  If anything I kind of wish the DFR had a low gain mode, because I was on the very low end of the volume with all of them.

So even with a HD600 the gain is too high ? 

After owning a Dragonfly Black for three weeks the only thing I would like to change is their gain, the high gain makes volume adjustments, escpecially on iOS, very tricky with my low impedance headphones. I would really like to buy a Dragonfly Red, but I'm afraid that their even higher output will make finding the perfect listening volume almost impossible for me. If they release a firmware update where we can reduce the gain I will order one immediately. For my headphones I would be happy with 30% of what it's now. 

I really hope this is something they will fix in a firmware update...

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #813 of 5,077

that is very interesting.

would you share your experience with other apps (streaming or players), regarding the volume "issues". if they are lessend or gone, im totally installing 

Only other apps I have used are Podcast Addict and YouTube, which work fine streaming audio.  

Not sure what the volume issues have been, but have not noted any here. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #815 of 5,077
So even with a HD600 the gain is too high ? 

I really hope this is something they will fix in a firmware update...

I haven't tried them with the HD600. Also the gain is workable, just wish there was a gain switch. Gain was at the right level in the HE400i (volume at about half) but some other phones, if I wanted to listen quietly, was on the bottom 2-3 clicks.

I wouldn't say it was a major issue at all. Just a minor way it could be improved. Would be nice if there was an iOS and OSX app that would let you put it in a low gain mode. Wonder if that's possible.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #816 of 5,077
So I have both red and black versions, and after testing both of them out I have noticed that the black is a lot louder than the red. Is this because of the 64-bit volume control on the red? With a rating of 1.2 V I thought the black would be a lot quieter compared to the 2.1 V red. On my computer I have the red at about 20% volume, but with the black version having it at 6% is still louder than the red.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #817 of 5,077
  So I have both red and black versions, and after testing both of them out I have noticed that the black is a lot louder than the red. Is this because of the 64-bit volume control on the red? With a rating of 1.2 V I thought the black would be a lot quieter compared to the 2.1 V red. On my computer I have the red at about 20% volume, but with the black version having it at 6% is still louder than the red.

What about sound quality difference between them?

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #819 of 5,077
Aside from being louder, the black definitely sounds warmer and has more bass than the red. I have only used the black version for about half an hour so I cannot give an educated opinion on them yet.

When you say you have the dac set at a particular volume are you referring to the volume of your player or the volume of the dac itself? On my android using uapp if turn the red at full gain, I can barely turn up the player volume. I set the dac at 75% and adjust player from there. And that is for my 62ohm headphones

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #820 of 5,077
When you say you have the dac set at a particular volume are you referring to the volume of your player or the volume of the dac itself? On my android using uapp if turn the red at full gain, I can barely turn up the player volume. I set the dac at 75% and adjust player from there. And that is for my 62ohm headphones

Player volume is set at maximum. I am referring to the DAC volume on my computer. I was not using a mobile phone while I was testing both of them out

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #821 of 5,077
Is this an iOS issue then? As there is plenty of scale on the DFR...

Although I do get you, on my home DAC / amp I have both gain control and an extra volume control, for fine volume adjustment.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #822 of 5,077
Is this an iOS issue then? As there is plenty of scale on the DFR...

Although I do get you, on my home DAC / amp I have both gain control and an extra volume control, for fine volume adjustment.

I am using Windows  and I have what seems to be the same problem. As I said in a previous post, the volume is REALLY loud on the black version, so loud that I have to turn down to about 4% compared to 20% on my red.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #823 of 5,077
Just wanted to pop in and say DFR + KSC75 = OMG!

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #824 of 5,077
Just wanted to pop in and say DFR + KSC75 = OMG!

yeah, definitely a great ultraportable setup.  iPhone -> CCK -> DFR -> KSC75 is phenomenal

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #825 of 5,077

I emailed this to AudioQuest. Here's their response:

Dear Sir,

Yes, you’re right.  Dragonfly Black’s analog volume control uses non-linear “steps” which are not consistent 1dB intervals.  Dragonfly Red uses all 1dB steps in its digital volume control.  It’s the fact that Dragonfly Black is making these slightly bigger “steps” that throws people off.   Assuming you couldn’t overload the signal, Red would sound louder than Black at full volume due to its increased output (2.1V versus 1.2V).  And Red sounds better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back