New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #796 of 5,077
I'm not a big fan of the modi and I think the DFR sounds better than the Modi to being with. However the modi has one advantage when paired with the Magni: RCA to RCA interconnects are generally better than 3.5mm to RCA. Not the biggest deal in the world, but something to consider.

Is there a loss in sound quality when connecting 3.5mm to RCA (versus RCA to RCA)?

I should also mention, the above set-ups will be paired with the HD600s.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #797 of 5,077
Is there a loss in sound quality when connecting 3.5mm to RCA (versus RCA to RCA)?

Hard to say exactly without knowing/measuring the specifics cables, but in general every time you go through a TRS connector you'll introduce some amount of crosstalk.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #799 of 5,077

I don't think you'd be able to notice any amount of cross talk a TRS connection is going to introduce between a Dragonfly and Magni 2. Use a quality cable and you won't have any issues.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #801 of 5,077

I don't think you'd be able to notice any amount of cross talk a TRS connection is going to introduce between a Dragonfly and Magni 2. Use a quality cable and you won't have any issues.

sure, it isn't a big deal, but there is a reason that audio makers don't ever use TRS as interconnects, despite them being smaller and easier to work with.  In general XLR > RCA > TRS when it comes to connector quality.  Especially when the entire stereo image is being transported (ie not when going into the earcups, which is at that point, a mono signal).  Crosstalk is one issue, not as solid of a connection and being slightly noisier are others.  

Now, again, I don't want to overstate how big of a deal this is, it's a tiny difference, especially on a well made cable.  But then again, this is HiFi Audio, what we care about are the tiny differences.  I'd say the difference in audio quality between the DFR (with DFR being better) is greater than the difference in interconnects.  But it's also why I wouldn't really recommend the DFR if your primary use is as a DAC only.  I actually think that the DFR sounds better than the Modi2/Magni2 stack anyway, unless you just need the Magni's power (few people will).  I know a lot of people who think that a wall wart is the be all and end all of audio quality will cry heresy, but to my ears the DFR beats the MM stack for most headphones.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #803 of 5,077

sure, it isn't a big deal, but there is a reason that audio makers don't ever use TRS as interconnects, despite them being smaller and easier to work with.  In general XLR > RCA > TRS when it comes to connector quality.  Especially when the entire stereo image is being transported (ie not when going into the earcups, which is at that point, a mono signal).  Crosstalk is one issue, not as solid of a connection and being slightly noisier are others.  

Now, again, I don't want to overstate how big of a deal this is, it's a tiny difference, especially on a well made cable.  But then again, this is HiFi Audio, what we care about are the tiny differences.  I'd say the difference in audio quality between the DFR (with DFR being better) is greater than the difference in interconnects.  But it's also why I wouldn't really recommend the DFR if your primary use is as a DAC only.  I actually think that the DFR sounds better than the Modi2/Magni2 stack anyway, unless you just need the Magni's power (few people will).  I know a lot of people who think that a wall wart is the be all and end all of audio quality will cry heresy, but to my ears the DFR beats the MM stack for most headphones.

Nope, don't disagree with a single bit of that. but your second paragraph is far more important over the crosstalk of a TRS connector 
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #804 of 5,077
That is why Audioquest make this

I think that's more so that it will work with existing setups (since most people's current chains involve RCA and not TRS connections) more than to help with the TRS issue.  Since it still has a TRS in it.  Unnecessary connectors usually exacerbate the problem rather than helping it.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #805 of 5,077

Nope, don't disagree with a single bit of that. but your second paragraph is far more important over the crosstalk of a TRS connector 
wink.gif

I guess the point I was probably trying to make, that I maybe should have just come out and said more clearly, is that it's very likely the DFR will sound better by itself than the DFR > Magni2 will.  The Magni2 will likely just be clouding up the signal with unnecessary electronics and needlessly going through more cables and internal electronics.  More places for noise, crosstalk and distortion to be introduced.  In general the simpler the chain, the better.  Now, if you need the extra power, that's a different matter entirely.  I never thought the HD650 sounded that good with the Magni2Uber.  Never tried a HD600 with it.  

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #806 of 5,077

I guess the point I was probably trying to make, that I maybe should have just come out and said more clearly, is that it's very likely the DFR will sound better by itself than the DFR > Magni2 will.  The Magni2 will likely just be clouding up the signal with unnecessary electronics and needlessly going through more cables and internal electronics.  More places for noise, crosstalk and distortion to be introduced.  In general the simpler the chain, the better.  Now, if you need the extra power, that's a different matter entirely.  I never thought the HD650 sounded that good with the Magni2Uber.  Never tried a HD600 with it.  

fjrabon

Have you had a chance to pair the DFR with a set of HD 600s or HD 650s?

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #807 of 5,077

fjrabon

Have you had a chance to pair the DFR with a set of HD 600s or HD 650s?

haven't had a chance yet.  So far with the DFR I've used all the headphones in my signature (except the Elear, which I don't have yet).  Will hopefully get a chance to try it with a bunch more cans in a month or two.  Will probably try to put together an Atlanta meet this summer some time.  Will also get to try it with the Elear, HD800 and HE1000 around the beginning of July.  

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #808 of 5,077
  haven't had a chance yet.  So far with the DFR I've used all the headphones in my signature (except the Elear, which I don't have yet).  Will hopefully get a chance to try it with a bunch more cans in a month or two.  Will probably try to put together an Atlanta meet this summer some time.  Will also get to try it with the Elear, HD800 and HE1000 around the beginning of July.  

Are any of those cans (the ones mentioned in your signature) as difficult to drive as the HD 600s or the HD 650s?  If so, how did they DFR fare?

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #809 of 5,077

Are any of those cans as difficult to drive as the HD 600s or the HD 650s?  If so, how did they DFR fare?

nah, they're all a bit easier to drive than the HD600, but the DFR had plenty of juice for all of them.  If anything I kind of wish the DFR had a low gain mode, because I was on the very low end of the volume with all of them.

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #810 of 5,077

nah, they're all a bit easier to drive than the HD600, but the DFR had plenty of juice for all of them.  If anything I kind of wish the DFR had a low gain mode, because I was on the very low end of the volume with all of them.

A few posters have mentioned that the DFR does a good job of driving the HD 600's.  
That's the combo I'm thinking of buying in the fall (DFR + HD 600s), so the more positive things I read about that pairing, the more confident I am in making that purchase.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the DFR + HD650's in a couple of months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back