New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #527 of 5,077
  Received my Dragonfly Black about two weeks ago, really happy with the sound compared to the headphone amp of the iMac, can't wait to try it with my iPad ( the new headphone out on the iPad Pro 9.7 is much worse than on older generations BTW ), but I'll have to order the Apple Camera Connection kit first. I currently have 3 headphones V-Moda M80, Sennheiser HD595 and a Grado SR80, both the M80 and HD595 work fine although I do have to keep the system volume quite low. I was amazed how much better the V-Moda's sounded, I've never heard them sound this good, so even though the Dragonfly was intented to be used with my iMac only, I can't go back the to built-in port on my iPad anymore after hearing how good it can sound. I also bought a Jitterbug but need to do more testing to see if I like the sound better with or without it, but it's obvious that the Jitterbug changes the sound...

The Grado SR80 on the other hand sounds terrible in combination with the Dragonfly, lots of hiss, pops and clicks, really unlistenable. Anyone know why ? I tried to connect the Dragonfly to a Jitterbug to see if this was something the jitterbug could help with, but it didn't change anything. The Grado sounds fine on my iPod touch's headphone port. Is it the low impedance of the Grado ?

I'm think about buying a new headphone either the Sennheiser HD600 or the Hifiman HE-400S, is the Dragonfly Black powerfull enough for the HD600, is the Red powerfull enough ? Will the low impedance of the HE-400S cause problems ? 

Similar problem for me. My Grado PS500e sounds clean and detailed using FIIO E7 but blurry and confused with Dragonfly 1.5 black. Any idea why?

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #528 of 5,077
  Received my Dragonfly Black about two weeks ago, really happy with the sound compared to the headphone amp of the iMac, can't wait to try it with my iPad ( the new headphone out on the iPad Pro 9.7 is much worse than on older generations BTW ), but I'll have to order the Apple Camera Connection kit first. I currently have 3 headphones V-Moda M80, Sennheiser HD595 and a Grado SR80, both the M80 and HD595 work fine although I do have to keep the system volume quite low. I was amazed how much better the V-Moda's sounded, I've never heard them sound this good, so even though the Dragonfly was intented to be used with my iMac only, I can't go back the to built-in port on my iPad anymore after hearing how good it can sound. I also bought a Jitterbug but need to do more testing to see if I like the sound better with or without it, but it's obvious that the Jitterbug changes the sound...

The Grado SR80 on the other hand sounds terrible in combination with the Dragonfly, lots of hiss, pops and clicks, really unlistenable. Anyone know why ? I tried to connect the Dragonfly to a Jitterbug to see if this was something the jitterbug could help with, but it didn't change anything. The Grado sounds fine on my iPod touch's headphone port. Is it the low impedance of the Grado ?

I'm thinking about buying a new headphone either the Sennheiser HD600 or the Hifiman HE-400S, is the Dragonfly Black powerfull enough for the HD600, is the Red powerfull enough ? Will the low impedance of the HE-400S cause problems ? 

I use the Red + 400S combo and it sounds amazing. Check out my post from a little over 3 weeks ago: Rooooooaaaaarrrrr

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #529 of 5,077
  So after some further testing the clicks and pops only seem to occur on my iPhone 6s, no issues on the new iPad Pro 9.7 or the Macbook Pro. I also tested it with my GF's iPhone 4s and there were no click and pops.  The weirdest thing is that the clicks seem to increase dramatically when the screen goes to sleep on the iPhone 6s.

I do have to turn volume up to 75-85% on all these devices to really push the headphones but I am driving the HiFiMan 400i so they could just need more power than some others...

EDIT: I am doing a erase and restore on the iPhone to see if that fixes the issue but it really seems to be a problem with this specific device not the Dragonfly or iOS as a whole.

EDIT 2: YES! Erase and Restore seems to have fixed the clicks and pops!

EDIT 3: Welp spoke too soon still there just need to get my hopes up before it cropped up again.

I have found some apple threads that seem to replicate the same problem with other DACs and Car Audio setups using USB on a 6s when the screen locks. I have tried now on several iPads and iPhones 5, 5s, 6... none experience this static click and pop issue except for my 6s.
So my question is:
Does anyone following this thread use the Red or Black with a 6s iPhone specifically? Does it work for you?

I am trying to rule out if its iPhone hardware issue or an issue with the 6s model as a whole.

In other news the Red paired with HifiMan 400i sounds incredible from my laptop and Ipad. In fact if it didn't sound so amazing the intricate clicks and pops from the iPhone 6s wouldn't be such a big deal but I can hear them in incredible fidelity lol.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #530 of 5,077

I have found some apple threads that seem to replicate the same problem with other DACs and Car Audio setups using USB on a 6s when the screen locks. I have tried now on several iPads and iPhones 5, 5s, 6... none experience this static click and pop issue except for my 6s. Probably is no one is around that has an iPhone 6S.

So my question is:
Does anyone following this thread use the Red or Black with a 6s iPhone specifically? Does it work for you?

I am trying to rule out if its iPhone hardware issue or an issue with the 6s model as a whole.

In other news the Red paired with HifiMan 400i sounds incredible from my laptop and Ipad. In fact if it didn't sound so amazing the intricate clicks and pops from the iPhone 6s wouldn't be such a big deal but I can hear them in incredible fidelity lol.

Thanks!

I use the Red with an iPhone 6S and have no weird clicks, pops or static.  That's on the latest version of iOS.  Doesn't matter if the unit it locked, unlocked, transitioning between lock states, it just works cleanly and smoothly.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #531 of 5,077

I use the Red with an iPhone 6S and have no weird clicks, pops or static.  That's on the latest version of iOS.  Doesn't matter if the unit it locked, unlocked, transitioning between lock states, it just works cleanly and smoothly.

Thank-you for confirming. Interesting. So either my dragonfly has issues or my iPhone has issues... 

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #532 of 5,077
  Thank-you for confirming. Interesting. So either my dragonfly has issues or my iPhone has issues... 

I'm assuming you've used the same CCK cable for each test?

What carrier are you on - or more specifically were all the phones you tried with on the same carrier as you?  That shouldn't make a difference, but there are differences in the frequencies they use (even geographically with the same carrier) and that might have a bearing on things.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #533 of 5,077

What carrier are you on - or more specifically were all the phones you tried with on the same carrier as you?  That shouldn't make a difference, but there are differences in the frequencies they use (even geographically with the same carrier) and that might have a bearing on things.

Interesting. Maybe he should try it in Airplane Mode to see if the clicks and pops are still there?

Also, potentially try different players (native Music, but also either Onkyo HF Player or Korg's iAudioGate).

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #534 of 5,077
Now into my 4th week with the DF Red.

Works wonderfully with Sennheiser HD 600 on all these devices/computers:

1. Xiaomi Mi 4S Android 5.1.1 with Spotify (but have to put volume up to about 80-90%)
2. Ipad Air 1, with very cheap Chinese CCK cable from Ebay UK, but only if Ipad is on level surface and cable does not get kinked. Plenty loud at volume 50%.
3. Windows 7 laptop
4. Windows 10 desktop

Anyone who is having problems with IOS, I suggest checking your cable first.

The sound quality is consistently excellent, irrespective of device. However, not all my headphones show the tremendous jump in sound quality; there are a couple where I am not convinced that the headphone gels perfectly with DF Red.

I agree with the CNET reviewer and the What Hifi review that just came out today.
http://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/dragonfly-red/review

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #535 of 5,077

Yes I have the apple Camera Connector (Without Charge Port)

The other 6 I tested was on same carrier. (Family plan)
The 5s and 4s were not.

Interesting. Maybe he should try it in Airplane Mode to see if the clicks and pops are still there?

Also, potentially try different players (native Music, but also either Onkyo HF Player or Korg's iAudioGate).

Airplane mode makes no difference and it happens with a few different players.

Ruling out a lot of things at least.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gonna start with exchanging the cable, though I am not sure why it would work on iPad and Laptop but not iPhone...

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #536 of 5,077
Gonna start with exchanging the cable, though I am not sure why it would work on iPad and Laptop but not iPhone...

Unless there's an issue with the port on your iPhone (e.g. it's loose...something's awry...dirty inside...etc).

Anyway, good luck!

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #537 of 5,077
Do check for dirt and fluff in the Lightning port. Different symptoms, but I was getting intermittent charging failures until I investigated just how filthy the Lightning port was on my iPhone 6!

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #538 of 5,077
Do check for dirt and fluff in the Lightning port. Different symptoms, but I was getting intermittent charging failures until I investigated just how filthy the Lightning port was on my iPhone 6![/quote

Great suggestion.

My main reason to go with DFR was to increase the output to a level suitable for driving my AKG K240 Sextetts. The simplicity of use was very attractive. Bettering the sound quality from the phone was hoped for as well.

The output of DFR is not enough to drive the 600 ohm Sextetts to a sufficient level. The SQ seems a little better used with FLC8S but the main dislike for me is using IPhones widely stepped level to control DFRs output. It was difficult to compare SQ between DFR and 6+ because it was impossible to level match. Also, and it may have been my errors, if I decreased the volume on phone to zero when I initiated the music the level jumped to max. I am using Spotify Premium and that software could play a part there as well. After a couple of incidents of that and having to pull rigged phone out of my pocket to adjust the volume I returned DFR, ordered a Mojo. and am not looking back.

I had contacted AQ concerning the less than expected level increase and was very impressed with their rapid response and professional assistance with questions. I think it is a good product, it simply did not fit my needs.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #539 of 5,077

Unless there's an issue with the port on your iPhone (e.g. it's loose...something's awry...dirty inside...etc).

Anyway, good luck!

Do check for dirt and fluff in the Lightning port. Different symptoms, but I was getting intermittent charging failures until I investigated just how filthy the Lightning port was on my iPhone 6!

Done, I am always shocked at how much lint comes out of there... but no luck.  
Went to best buy replaced the USB cable. No luck.
While at best buy I tested the rig on one of their iPhone 6S setups using apple music. No issues at all. Further confirming it is something specific with my device.

Going to try a DFU restore phone tonight and will update if anything works in case someone else runs into this insanely frustrating thing.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #540 of 5,077

If you look at earlier posts in this thread, Steve Silberman has posted about this issue.  My 6s has the same problem. Nothing has worked so far, but the Audioquest folks responded promptly to my email, including Mr. Silberman.  The Audioquest people said that this is a known issue with the Red and some Apple devices, and Audioquest and Apple are working to get it resolved.  Like you, I tried it with my old iPhone and my 9.7" iPad Pro and they worked together beautifully.  I also tried the 6s with Apple's lightning to 30-pin adapter dongle(that has a built in DAC) going into a headphone amp and there was no noise.  It could be an IOS issue specific to the 6s since some other third-party devices seem to be affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back