New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 21, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #5,057 of 5,077
Hey guys! I'm trying to listen with my DF Coblat on my windows 10 desktop's Tidal app. The app recognizes the dac and turns on "exclusive mode", but for some weird reason every time a new song plays the sound goes to 0. Meaning I need to turn the volume up manually every time a new song starts!
Anyone encountered this? Is there a solution?
Thx!

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #5,058 of 5,077
My DFR will need to be returned - intermittent distortion and crackling when I use it with a phone source and the Dragontail. I am not sure how common this problem is but I am writing off as faulty and sending it back. Been in contact with the shop and I might get a credit note I can use against a Cobalt.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #5,059 of 5,077
I have trouble with Dragon fly black and TIDAL arter The High Rez utdate.

in exclusive mode, it won’t play high rez and force down to 96khz.

I installed USB audio player pro and this plays all, but I can’t get my downloaded music from Tidal.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #5,060 of 5,077
I have trouble with Dragon fly black and TIDAL arter The High Rez utdate.

in exclusive mode, it won’t play high rez and force down to 96khz.

I installed USB audio player pro and this plays all, but I can’t get my downloaded music from Tidal.
Dragonfly DAC are limited to 24 bits / 96khz sampling rate. Anything more will be down sampled to 96khz or 88.2khz. I bet you a symbolic dollar that you cannot hear any difference between 96khz and anything more. As matter of fact I doubt that you hear any difference between 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96khz sampling rate. Or between 16 bits and 24 bits resolution by the way. If I happen to loose my symbolic dollar, then I swear that you cannot hear the difference between 88.2 or 96khz and 176.4 or 192khz. In any case most recent music has been produced at 24 bits/96khz (or 88.2) and earlier music at 16 bits/48khz (or 44.1). 24 bits was useful only for the mix/master and not for final product. At 88.2 or 96khz you are at the sweet spot of reproducing music. Anything more is useless and exceeds the original recording mixing and mastering. If you do hear a difference, it’s the master recording/mixing/mastering that is different, not the sampling rate. So enjoy MUSIC on your Dragonfly instead. If you don’t enjoy music with you Dragonfly Black DAC (and I couldn’t understand why you wouldn’t), then upgrade to a Chird Mojo2 and still use your 24/96, 24/48 or 16/44.1 tracks from Tidal or other services. But the difference won’t be night and day, I assure you, it will be subtle and probably meaningless.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #5,061 of 5,077
Dragonfly DAC are limited to 24 bits / 96khz sampling rate. Anything more will be down sampled to 96khz or 88.2khz. I bet you a symbolic dollar that you cannot hear any difference between 96khz and anything more. As matter of fact I doubt that you hear any difference between 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96khz sampling rate. Or between 16 bits and 24 bits resolution by the way. If I happen to loose my symbolic dollar, then I swear that you cannot hear the difference between 88.2 or 96khz and 176.4 or 192khz. In any case most recent music has been produced at 24 bits/96khz (or 88.2) and earlier music at 16 bits/48khz (or 44.1). 24 bits was useful only for the mix/master and not for final product. At 88.2 or 96khz you are at the sweet spot of reproducing music. Anything more is useless and exceeds the original recording mixing and mastering. If you do hear a difference, it’s the master recording/mixing/mastering that is different, not the sampling rate. So enjoy MUSIC on your Dragonfly instead. If you don’t enjoy music with you Dragonfly Black DAC (and I couldn’t understand why you wouldn’t), then upgrade to a Chird Mojo2 and still use your 24/96, 24/48 or 16/44.1 tracks from Tidal or other services. But the difference won’t be night and day, I assure you, it will be subtle and probably meaningless.
I don't care about the 192, but my phone won't force down sample to 96 inside the tidal app and with Dragonfly it's only silence, and I hope you agree that 96 is better than silence?

I have an app who solves this called usb audio pro player, but I don't know if it can acces my Tidal downloaded.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,062 of 5,077
I don't care about the 192, but my phone won't force down sample to 96 inside the tidal app and with Dragonfly it's only silence, and I hope you agree that 96 is better than silence?

I have an app who solves this called usb audio pro player, but I don't know if it can acces my Tidal downloaded.
Try changing your Bit Perfect setting on UAPP to 'When possible'.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #5,064 of 5,077
I have that option in the Usb player pro app, but the problem is that I don't know if I have ability to to my downloads in Tidal.

I have a lot of GB tho I think 40 a month. But nice if I could use my downloads
Yeah, sadly you cannot listen to Tidal downloads through UAPP due to licensing restrictions. The last time I had Tidal (which in fairness was over a year ago), the dragonfly black could be used with the native Tidal app. So you should be able to listen to your offline downloaded Tidal tracks this way.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #5,065 of 5,077
Yeah, sadly you cannot listen to Tidal downloads through UAPP due to licensing restrictions. The last time I had Tidal (which in fairness was over a year ago), the dragonfly black could be used with the native Tidal app. So you should be able to listen to your offline downloaded Tidal tracks this way.
It works with the setting to high or losses, but not on max.

Maybe I Just put on Lossless, cd quality.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #5,066 of 5,077
I'm using a Dragonfly black v1.5 as a DAC and like it, but I'm wondering if a red will be better. Is the red really better than the black considering that my amp provides sufficient amplification to boost the 1.2 volts? I need a clean sound over a warm sound.

On another note: I was able to get rid of USB noise with a USB cable with a ferrite ring.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #5,067 of 5,077
I'm using a Dragonfly black v1.5 as a DAC and like it, but I'm wondering if a red will be better. Is the red really better than the black considering that my amp provides sufficient amplification to boost the 1.2 volts? I need a clean sound over a warm sound.

On another note: I was able to get rid of USB noise with a USB cable with a ferrite ring.

Yes, the Red is better. I can't recall exactly what it sounded like, so I won't try, but the Black has a metallic tinge to the timbre I absolutely hated. A metallic "crunch" to everything including vocals. The Red eliminates that (and has more detail and that clean sound you need), but the Cobalt is even better than the Red...warmer, smoother, with more layering. (but you don't want that) But yeah, if you want that better sound, go for the Red.

However, you can probably definitely find better dongles out there now for even cheaper/same price than the Cobalt. There's one but I can never remember the name of it. It looks really industrial and it's made by a cable manufacturer run by a father/son team. Someone here has to know who it is. Anyway, that one I compared side by side with the Cobalt and it actually blew that one away with definition and detail.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #5,068 of 5,077
Yes, the Red is better. I can't recall exactly what it sounded like, so I won't try, but the Black has a metallic tinge to the timbre I absolutely hated. A metallic "crunch" to everything including vocals. The Red eliminates that (and has more detail and that clean sound you need), but the Cobalt is even better than the Red...warmer, smoother, with more layering. (but you don't want that) But yeah, if you want that better sound, go for the Red.

However, you can probably definitely find better dongles out there now for even cheaper/same price than the Cobalt. There's one but I can never remember the name of it. It looks really industrial and it's made by a cable manufacturer run by a father/son team. Someone here has to know who it is. Anyway, that one I compared side by side with the Cobalt and it actually blew that one away with definition and detail.

I have no problem with treble harshness using the black, the issue is that the bass is not very defined.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #5,070 of 5,077

The Dragonfly v1.5 is the second generation of Dragonfly dacs and at the time it was first offered was not known as "the Black": it was just the only one available. I also started with that one.

Black and Red are the third generation Dragonflies. They differ in price and sound signature. Most people prefer the Red, which sounds more refined, more detailed than the Black but it is obviously also a matter of taste, equipment, sources and gear.

I never listened to the Black and am very satisfied with the Red - with the addition of a Gitterbug. The difference with the second generation v1.5 is impressive. The difference between the Red and the Cobalt DF is comparatively modest but with the Cobalt you would not need to add a Jitterbug.

Audioquest did not develop this product line any further for years, nor did the firm send any update for the Cobalt DF. Obviously, other brands may now offer better for cheaper (higher sampling rates, DSD etc.) but I don't have any knowledge of the actual market. My last acquisition was a FiiO BTR5 2021, which I can connect with the phone per Bluetooth, yet sounds better when connected via the small USB cable they send with the device.

Most important is to keep the anxiety about having the best possible gear under control... it can spoil the pleasure of listening to the beloved music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back