New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,322 of 5,077
Well the 9016 is a 8 channels DAC as compared to the 2 channels 9018, the 9016 wasn't supposed to be used for headphones first but AQ made a good implementation to make them sound great in a stereo configuration. That's why I'm curious to see how well they'd do with new chips. The DA3 sounds better to me than the DFR but it's also less ergonomic for portable usage. I'd say though the DFR sounds warmer when the DA3 sounds clearer overall, has a wider soundstage with more resolution in the bass, cleaner mids and airier treble without having that infamous Sabre glare that is pretty annoying in most cheap implementations. The only thing I'd reproach to the DA3 is the soundstage given isn't as deep as (more expensive) desktop DACs :relaxed:

I couldn't compare the DA2 to the Red since I don't have the DA2 myself but people are positive the DA2 is way better than the Black for cheaper (just see the measurement comparison if you don't believe in subjective judgements) and I assume it is closer to the Red as far as sound quality is concerned, but of course I'm still just assuming. Just waiting for a move from AQ to blow away the competition with new Dragonflies :wink:

Interesting post Chein. Yeah I too feel like the DA3 isn't as ergonomic & portable as the DFR. But maybe it looks smaller in person than it does in pics??

Yeah being that the DA3 has DUAL 9018 DACs, I could see it perhaps outdoing the DFR, but again, I know from experience that device setup/implementation makes up the support system that can make a great DAC sound incredible, or just "really good".

Well ok, it sounds like you've tried both and yeah the DA3 is better, but the portability isn't as good. Ughh!! But the fact that it's cheaper by like $100 is definitely a strong factor in the DA3's favor.

Well, I mean, is it really fair to compare the DA3 to more expensive DESKTOP DACs though? lol The fact that it outdoes the DFR AND is $100 LESS is really enough for me. lol

Yeah several ppl on here and on U.S. Amazon have claimed the DA2 either sounds as good or better than the DFB, so I'm convinced there. I've already added the DA2 to my "running list" on Amazon, and removed the DFB. I think I will add the DA3 now as well after reading your very informative post! :L3000:

Yeah, until AQ releases something new, I will prob just recommend the Sabaj amp/DACs in the mean time.

Thanks so much Chein!!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #4,323 of 5,077
I believe AQ will release new version of DFs in this summer, as competition is quite tough at the moment. DFB really sounds so cheap, compared to DA2. No point to buy a DFB . If SABAJ implements es9018 with 8 channels into USB DAC for around 100usd before AQ, i believe the drogon`s kingdom will be destroyed.

I hope so too Researcher! They need to compete as they are already falling behind from what I've read in the last few pages of this thread.

Plus the DA2 has on-board volume control, which I'm sure some ppl would prefer.

Dragon's kingdom destroyed..................lol

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,324 of 5,077
What's interesting too is that, according to U.S. Amazon (which may not be accurate, but prob is in this case), the DFR itself (not shipping weight) weighs 3.52 ounces, where the DA3 weighs only 1.44 ounces! And the DA3 is longer than the DFR, but narrower & thinner per the listed dimensions. So even though the DA3 SEEMS bigger, it kinda isn't, and it WEIGHS LESS than the DFR. Just something to keep in mind. This actually means the DA3 is more portable than we seemed to have perceived just from looking at its pictures.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #4,325 of 5,077
What's interesting too is that, according to U.S. Amazon (which may not be accurate, but prob is in this case), the DFR itself (not shipping weight) weighs 3.52 ounces, where the DA3 weighs only 1.44 ounces! And the DA3 is longer than the DFR, but narrower & thinner per the listed dimensions. So even though the DA3 SEEMS bigger, it kinda isn't, and it WEIGHS LESS than the DFR. Just something to keep in mind. This actually means the DA3 is more portable than we seemed to have perceived just from looking at its pictures.

edit.
DA3 --->1.3cm (h) x 4.2cm (w) x 9.4cm (l) 64gr

DFR---> 1.2cm (h) x 1.9cm (w) x 6.2cm (l)

according to Amazon Italian are the dimensions and weight (unit of measurement centimeters and grams)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,326 of 5,077

here we go; http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=74

I once read it to be around 48 gr. not bad at all.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,327 of 5,077
DA3 ---> 13,4 x 1,9 x 2,4 cm. 40.8 g

DFR---> 6 x 2 x 3 cm 99.8g

according to Amazon Italian are the dimensions and weight (unit of measurement centimeters and grams)

Very good! Thanks for checking on that Que!

Yes, this seems to match up with what the U.S. Amazon site says too! So to me, especially in terms of weight, I would now deem the DA3 as the more portable device vs. the DFR. I'll still keep the DFR on my list for now, but I will be recommending the DA3 over it to people. If they still feel the DA3 is too big size-wize, than I'll recommend the DFR. But after Chein's very informative post, it's really hard to argue for the DFR unless/until AQ releases an upgraded version.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,329 of 5,077
Very good! Thanks for checking on that Que!

Yes, this seems to match up with what the U.S. Amazon site says too! So to me, especially in terms of weight, I would now deem the DA3 as the more portable device vs. the DFR. I'll still keep the DFR on my list for now, but I will be recommending the DA3 over it to people. If they still feel the DA3 is too big size-wize, than I'll recommend the DFR. But after Chein's very informative post, it's really hard to argue for the DFR unless/until AQ releases an upgraded version.

sorry there were mistakes, I edited. I took the info directly from the official websites of the 2 products

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,330 of 5,077
here we go; http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=74

I once read it to be around 48 gr. not bad at all.

Ok. Even 48 g is still much less than the DFR's 99.8 g.

I see in the pics for the DA3 Researcher that the only included cable is the USB-A to USB-C one. There isn't a MicroUSB to MicroUSB (or MicroUSB-C??) one? Does the DA3 connect using the MicroUSB or MicroUSB-C?? I guess one would have to buy a MicroUSB to MicroUSB-C (or to MicroUSB???) cable then?? Or did they just get lazy with the pictures?? lol

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #4,333 of 5,077
I decided, Monday I order DA3 from Amazon Italy and the Hifiman RE-400 total cost € 160 there can be in my opinion. (I already have a micro usb cable to Type c so I should not have any problems of any kind)

Congratulations. The RE-400 is a great earphone.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #4,334 of 5,077
Oh by the way, I'm going to the Axpona Audio Audio Expo later today. It's at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel only 10 minutes away from where I live (Chicago area). AQ will be there too (see list in link)! Can't wait!

Maybe I'll ask AQ if and when then DFB & DFR will get upgraded? If I do and get good info, I'll make sure to post it here later tonight or tomorrow. :thumbsup::sunglasses: :L3000: lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back