New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 1, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #3,003 of 5,077
I updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 10.3 and now my CCK2 is unsupported. No biggie for me but just a heads up. Time to get a new CCK 3

I guess Apple updated the USB 3 CCK to work with iOS10.3. And the old CCK without the firmware update is now obsolete for those running the latest iOS.

Ouch - that's a bit irritating.

It's not really a big deal for me as I'll just pass by the Apple store today and pick up a couple more of the CCK3 to replace my current CCK2s. (Although one is being used with an older iPod touch 5th gen which won't need to be replaced)

That said I can imagine that a lot of people here don't have a spare 40 bucks just to replace an adapter that, up until the iOS update, was working fine.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,004 of 5,077
The old CCK audio quality stinks compared to the newer version with the power port .
I just wished the new CCK wasn't so damn big .

Well that's good to know. Forced SQ improvement by Apple. I use my phone pretty rarely for listening so no dramas. Hope the AQ firmware drops soon and Tidal gets MQA to their iOS app. Might use it more often then

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,005 of 5,077
I updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 10.3 and now my CCK2 is unsupported. No biggie for me but just a heads up. Time to get a new CCK 3

I guess Apple updated the USB 3 CCK to work with iOS10.3. And the old CCK without the firmware update is now obsolete for those running the latest iOS.
Sorry but I really doubt that's tha case. Apple doesn't ever drop support for hardware accessories, I mean a lightning dock from 2013 or HDMI dongle work with every lightning equipped device no matter which OS version. I am 100% this is not planned and might be a bug with your device

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,006 of 5,077
Sorry but I really doubt that's tha case. Apple doesn't ever drop support for hardware accessories, I mean a lightning dock from 2013 or HDMI dongle work with every lightning equipped device no matter which OS version. I am 100% this is not planned and might be a bug with your device

Well it I guess it might be a bug although is it highly coincidental that the cck would stop working after the update. I've had no problems till now. No pops or clicks even.
Only way to know is if others experience the same problem and chime in.
Funny thing is that after a restart of my phone, the CCk passes audio for a few seconds before the warning pops up and it goes quiet. The DFB stays green but audio comes out the phone speakers. Ive been using Tidal.
No point discussing old tech eh. I'm getting a CCk3 today. That should solve the problem.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,007 of 5,077
CCK2 works fine for me on in iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6s+ both updated to 10.3.

I still have the clicks and pops problem with the DFR though, so I use a CCK3 with that.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,008 of 5,077
Hi, I am a newbie here.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using dragonfly red + android + USB audio player pro app compared to any music players on iPhone.
I have both phones (S7 edge + iPhone 7+) but want to migrate from Android to iPhone for a music player.
I've been using USB audio player pro (Android) for sometime and love the bit perfect feature.

And what are your music player recommendations for an iPhone?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #3,009 of 5,077
Hi, I am a newbie here.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using dragonfly red + android + USB audio player pro app compared to any music players on iPhone.
I have both phones (S7 edge + iPhone 7+) but want to migrate from Android to iPhone for a music player.
I've been using USB audio player pro (Android) for sometime and love the bit perfect feature.

And what are your music player recommendations for an iPhone?

Thanks,

If you want higher than 44.1khz files then definitely VOX music player, incredible app that plays every hi res format, has sleek and intuitive interface, queues and it can play your Spotify library if you have premium account.
If you want to play your iTunes library then Doppi, I tested literally all paid and free players on iOS and found this one to be the best, it has the best interface, supports lyrics, doesn't have bugs with playback (that most of players that use Apple Music playback process do have). And it's free and constantly being improved

I use Doppi most of the time and VOX when I want to shuffle between my iTunes and Spotify library, it's such a cool feature. Vox is 3.99 IIRC but it's worth much more than that

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #3,010 of 5,077
Thank you, you really nailed it..

I recently subscribed to tidal in Android and it's a good match with UAPP app. Actually that's the best package we (Android users) could get in combination with a dragonfly for now.

Still curious regarding the bitperfect feature.. Will there be one in those apps?
Or will iPhone automatically bypass its internal dac completely while using the dragonfly?
I'm sort of expecting in equal Sq coming from iPhone just like the dragonfly does with my android + uapp bitperfect feature..

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #3,011 of 5,077
After re-trying the RED again, I decided to purchase it regardless of the volume control issue with my android s7edge.

Listening to it with my SE846 IEMs:
- Great (really great!) to listen to Tidal (HiFi)  via  USB Audio Player  Pro (Bit-Perfect mode) - complete volume control
- Reasonable Tidal (Hifi) without the USB Audio Player Pro - volume of S7edge set to 90%-100%

Waiting for the AQ firmware upgrade (I was promised by an email from AQ that the volume issues of the RED with android should be addressed)

My DFB went to my son who enjoys them with his A-Audio Legacy 32 ohm headphones

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #3,012 of 5,077
Thank you, you really nailed it..

I recently subscribed to tidal in Android and it's a good match with UAPP app. Actually that's the best package we (Android users) could get in combination with a dragonfly for now.

Still curious regarding the bitperfect feature.. Will there be one in those apps?
Or will iPhone automatically bypass its internal dac completely while using the dragonfly?
I'm sort of expecting in equal Sq coming from iPhone just like the dragonfly does with my android + uapp bitperfect feature..

I honestly don't know what bitperfect is so forgive me for not answering that question
Doesn't Android automatically bypass internal DAC in phone and directs signal to USB? I thought it would be standard in 2017 :p
iPhone automatically bypasses internal DAC while using CCK with DAC
SQ should be the same unless there are major differences in voltage that phone can feed to Dragonfly, someone here posted that he gets better sound from DFR lugged into the laptop than into the phone and that is probably because higher power output of the laptop.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #3,013 of 5,077
  I honestly don't know what bitperfect is so forgive me for not answering that question
Doesn't Android automatically bypass internal DAC in phone and directs signal to USB? I thought it would be standard in 2017 :p
iPhone automatically bypasses internal DAC while using CCK with DAC
SQ should be the same unless there are major differences in voltage that phone can feed to Dragonfly, someone here posted that he gets better sound from DFR lugged into the laptop than into the phone and that is probably because higher power output of the laptop.

Android does bypass the internal DAC when a USB DAC is connected but unless you use UAPP or another app with its own USB device driver audio will still be going through the Android MediaServer which means it is not bitperfect and Android will be doing it's own EQ/DSP to the audio stream.

iOS also bypasses the internal DAC, what I am not sure of is whether or not audio would still go through the iOS CoreAudio service and be affected by its EQ/DSP.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #3,014 of 5,077
I just got back from testing out both the red and the black at the same time.

I've got a rooted Samsung S5 with LineageOS Nougat.

The really low volume issue appears only on the Red and the Black is totally fine. What? AQ says its an Android issue but why does the Black work perfectly fine while the Red doesn't? Like I said, I just tried them side by side on the same phone. One worked and one didn't. Seems like the problem is with the Red and not Android.

Anyway, do I risk buying a Red? It seems that people have been asking for months for an update, which never comes...

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,015 of 5,077
Scary thought of the day, listening to a pair of HiFiMan RE2000 IEMs through the DFR, and the combination is truly fantastic...

I can already feel my wallet crying unashamedly in my pocket :sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back